Train from Greenock to Edinburgh

We will be on the August 5, 2013 sailing of the Celebrity Infinity and will be docking in Greenock

on August 12, 2013. We plan to take the train from Greenock to Edinburgh to attend the Royal Military Tattoo. We have reserved a taxi to take us back to Greenock after the show.

We have gone to the website where we can purchase the tickets for the train ride from Greenock to Edinburgh (going through Glasgow and changing trains). My question is How far is the train station in Greenock from the ship? Can we walk or do we need to plan to take a taxi??

Also, does this make sense to take the train or would a bus be a better option?

Thanks so much for your help...

The train station is a bit of a walk, I would take a taxi.

Personally, I refer the train to the bus.. If you're going early morning there will probably be traffic on the motorway, which would delay the bus...

Buses in Scotland are pretty good, but I think for that journey I'd take the train. Most trains from Glasgow to Edinburgh leave from Glasgow Queen Street and your train from Greenock will come in at Glasgow Central. This could mean a taxi or walk in Glasgow too. However, there are one or two trains that go to Edinburgh from Glasgow Central. I've just had a quick look and for example, you can leave Greenock at 8.15, change trains at Central then get to Edinburgh just before 10.15.

You can find timetables at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Enjoy Scotland

I am curious are you staying overnight in Greenock.

Our ship Queen Mary 2

was in town for 8 and a half hours.

My husband and i did a private tour for 2 .

We went to Edinbough. Did the tour and spend 2 and a half hours, in the castle.

We also drove around the area on the mile , Holyrood palace, where Queen Elizabeth resides in some summer months.

We also visited the Arthur's seat , a beautiful park.

We also visited the Brittana yacht this was a. WOW

We were back half an hour before e ship departed.

The private car for hire was a a hour and a half to Edinbough.

When I was reading about the Tattoo, I was told it was at night?

I hope this help if ou want another route. We just came back after spending 29 days on Queen Mary doing the British Isles trip

Just to say, there is no need to buy the train ticket beforehand, you can buy it at Greenock station on the day. There are basically 2 routes via Glasgow to Edinburgh via Glasgow Central, where you come in from Greenock and via Glasgow Queen St. Queen Street station has more frequent trains to Edinburgh, it is about a 10 minute slightly uphill walk from Central, through the main shopping area, or there is a free bus from outside Central that takes you to Queens St. You will see people waiting under the awning immediately outside, near where taxis drop off. You show the driver your train ticket, bus takes up to 10 minutes as it goes around by the bus station. Trains from Central to Edinburgh are less frequent, and sometimes take a good bit longer, up to an hour and 20 minutes, as opposed to less than an hour.

I would suggest

1. buy a ticket to Edinburgh at Greenock station.

2. Get train to Glasgow, get off at Central station, go through main entrance and turn right to get to Buchanan St

3. Turn left on Buchanan St.

4. Walk up to Dundas Lane on your left, turn right, Queen St station is at the end of the lane.

5. Catch the next train to Edinburgh, getting off at Edinburgh Waverley.

The national rail website will show you all the options, but really it is best to not book beforehand, you might be earlier or later than planned.

Cheers

I agree with changing from glasgow central to glasgow queen street, for the train to edinburgh, as the edinburgh train from glasgow central goes the long way round and takes ages.

I would wait on the free bus from central to queen street if you're unsure where you're going..

We have a stop in Greenock and were thinking of doing an extra day in Edinburgh. I just looked at the rail schedule posted above and priced out the recommended trip and it prices out at approx. 19 pounds each way, the ship offers "on your own" transportation for $75. Just seems that in this case since there is not much price difference it would be much easier just to take the ship's transportation. Just wondering if I priced it out correctly (usually it's much cheaper to do your own)?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank everyone so much for the information on the train from Greenock to Edinburgh. Our cruise leaves Greenock at 2:00 am, so we will have time to get from Edinburgh back to Greenock after the military tattoo by taking a reserved taxi.

I guess my next question, after reading your recommendations, is "Do trains leave frequently from Greenock to Glasgow/Edinburgh"? I would imagine they do. We will just take a taxi from the ship to the train station in Greenock once we get ready - that way if we are late, we won't have to worry about buying another train ticket.

I loved all the detailed information about how to get from one train to another in Glasgow.

Thanks again, everyone.

Thank everyone so much for the information on the train from Greenock to Edinburgh. Our cruise leaves Greenock at 2:00 am, so we will have time to get from Edinburgh back to Greenock after the military tattoo by taking a reserved taxi.

I guess my next question, after reading your recommendations, is "Do trains leave frequently from Greenock to Glasgow/Edinburgh"? I would imagine they do. We will just take a taxi from the ship to the train station in Greenock once we get ready - that way if we are late, we won't have to worry about buying another train ticket.

I loved all the detailed information about how to get from one train to another in Glasgow.

Thanks again, everyone.

Search using the national rail website as it gives timetables plus any planned engineering works where they swap trains for buses

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am planning to do this for my upcoming british isles tour and I would like to stop and visit glasgow a little bit before continuing on to edinburgh. My question is if I buy a one way ticket from greenock to edinburgh, would I be able to stop in glasgow before continuing on to edinburgh or would i have to catch the next train from glasgow queen street? My plan was to take the train at 12:02 pm or so from greenock to glasgow, then walk around glasgow for a little bit, then leave from edinburgh around 3 or 4 pm. Can I do this with a one way ticket from greenock to edinburgh or would I have to get a one way ticket from greenock to glasgow and then another one way ticket from glasgow to edinburgh? Thanks