Two Hotels booked - which to choose?

rjack22

We will be one night pre-cruise on Feb 26, 2015. I am booked in both the Sleep Inn in Dania and the Hampton Inn in Plantation. I am torn on which one to keep.

Hampton Inn is $109 plus taxes. Sleep Inn is $135 plus taxes. After taxes only a $14 difference. Both have free pickup from the airport. The Hampton has a free shuttle to the port but the Sleep Inn charges $5 pp now. Both are near shopping and restaurants, the Hampton is near more stores and a mall but the Sleep Inn has a Publix and Walgreens very close which is probably all we would need. Things are a little further away at the Hampton but still walk-able. And I have read the Hampton Inn will shuttle you around the area on a availability basis. Both have a free breakfast.

The Hampton is a little further from the port than the Sleep Inn but only by a couple of miles. I would really like to take a taxi to the port even though we would have to pay because we can do that on our own schedule and we would be the only passengers. From what I have been able to gather, a taxi from the Hampton would be about $30. I don't know about the Sleep Inn.

So...which would you choose? I am torn. Pricewise they are comparable although the Sleep Inn with the $14 more and $10 shuttle charge would be $25 more in the end, assuming we take the free shuttle from the Hampton.

Taxi from Hampton Inn will probably be closer to $40 on a friday morning, so you should consider taking the shuttle.

To echo royalcruz, if you take a taxi from the Hampton, make sure you don't leave until around 11:00 a.m. or later. 595 traffic is nothing to mess around with on a weekday morning going east and the taxi meter is running.

I can think of no compelling reason to stay all the way out in Plantation. It is a suburb.

At least in Dania you are near the beach.

The Hampton is in a decent spot and is walking distance to plenty of restaurants and the Broward Mall/Target.

But I agree, if you are looking to go to the beach, that is only possible at the Sleep Inn as it isn't very far.

Personally, I would go with the Hampton pre cruise though. For just 1 night, I need value and comfort. I prefer Hampton Inn's to Sleep Inn's and this Hampton ends up quite cheaper than the Sleep Inn. Seems like a winner. There's a pool, a mall, restaurants and spots to get pre cruise stuff.

I am the OP. Being near the beach doesn't factor into it. By the time we get to the hotel it will be 2:30 - 3:00 pm so not much time left for the beach anyway.

I am really a little concerned about the Hampton Inn's distance from the port and the traffic. It sounds like we need to use the hotel's shuttle. But even then it could take awhile to get to the port. I would like to be at the port by around 10:30 am. I don't know how to judge that as to when to leave or even how early the shuttles start.

Am I right in thinking the Hampton Inn might be just a little bit nicer hotel than the Sleep Inn? I have never stayed in a Sleep Inn but I have stayed in a Hampton and it was very nice.

I am the OP. Being near the beach doesn't factor into it. By the time we get to the hotel it will be 2:30 - 3:00 pm so not much time left for the beach anyway.

I am really a little concerned about the Hampton Inn's distance from the port and the traffic. It sounds like we need to use the hotel's shuttle. But even then it could take awhile to get to the port. I would like to be at the port by around 10:30 am. I don't know how to judge that as to when to leave or even how early the shuttles start.

Am I right in thinking the Hampton Inn might be just a little bit nicer hotel than the Sleep Inn? I have never stayed in a Sleep Inn but I have stayed in a Hampton and it was very nice.

If you are concerned about the distance, stay in Dania. The distance isn't that bad but our traffic is so bad it could easily take you thirty minutes to get to port. A hotel shuttle will not leave early enough to get you to port by 10:30.

We usually stay at the Hampton Inn Plantation before our Christmas cruise. As soon as we get in, we sign up for the 1st shuttle departure at 10:30am or 11:00am as the later departures are sometimes delayed due to the traffic at the port. They do have 2 shuttles running on busy days.

How is the traffic from Dania to the port on a Friday morning? Better than from the Hampton Inn in Plantation? YES!!!!

We've all said to you that traffic in Plantation will be an issue and it will be especially bad on a Friday morning.

I think I am going to keep the Sleep Inn and cancel the Hampton Inn. Thanks everyone for your help.

Ideally I like to stay at the Hyatt Place Convention Center, but right now at least it is too pricy.

Hampton Inn > Sleep Inn . . . IMO. If you want to be at the port at 10:30 a.m you can literally call a taxi at 10:15 a.m. and a straight 15 minute highway shot down 595 to the port.

Personally if the Hampton is offering a "free shuttle" starting at 10:30 a.m. . . . I'd take them getting me there at 11:00 a.m. for free.

And again I'll throw in this thread that Priceline is doing a 3 star 8.0 rated Express deal at a FLL hotel which almost certainly is the Hyatt House. A very solid pre cruise hotel for $78 . . . the catch being a non refundable rate. Just something to think about.

How sure are you that this Priceline hotel for $78 is the Hyatt House? It it near anyplace where we could buy pop or wine? And how close to the port?

Very sure it's the Hyatt House, Hotwire also has it for $77 and it's listed as "condo" and that fits the Hyatt House description on Hotwire.

Cab will be about $20 and it will be an easy 15 minute drive, probably less. They have a cruise shuttle as well, I believe it's like $10 p/p, maybe a little less.

There is a big plaza across the street with a Kmart, BJ's and chain restaurants (Fridays, Dave & Busters, Red Lobster, etc.). I was in the Kmart recently and their wine selection is plenty good enough to get the job done. BJ's requires a club membership or you can print a one day pass online and they charge a 15% surcharge.

Like I said the only downside is the "non refundable rate", but that hotel is running $260 a night if you booked regular. If you have problems locating, it's the 3 star hotel in the FLL airport area with an 8.0 rating and free breakfast, free internet, airport shuttle, etc.

Just giving you options, I know this can be a bit overwhelming.

You are right, it can be overwhelming! Thank you for your excellent and very helpful advice!

I have heeded your advice, cancelled the Sleep Inn and the Hampton Inn, and went with Priceline with the $78 hotel you were sure was the Hyatt House. And it was! What cinched it for me (besides the price) was your comments on available places nearby to buy wine, pop, and meals. A KMart will do just fine I think (smile).

I was also considering splurging on the Embassy Suites for $207, but when I found out about the deal on the Hyatt House I knew I would save about $135 over that and that would buy a lot of something else (GRIN).

Thanks again for helping me out!

Edited by rjack22

You are right, it can be overwhelming! Thank you for your excellent and very helpful advice!

I have heeded your advice, cancelled the Sleep Inn and the Hampton Inn, and went with Priceline with the $78 hotel you were sure was the Hyatt House. And it was! What cinched it for me (besides the price) was your comments on available places nearby to buy wine, pop, and meals. A KMart will do just fine I think (smile).

I was also considering splurging on the Embassy Suites for $207, but when I found out about the deal on the Hyatt House I knew I would save about $135 over that and that would buy a lot of something else (GRIN).

Thanks again for helping me out!

Great deal, I'm glad I could help. I love using sites like Priceline to get deals like this. You can feel comfortable that you scored a great price.

FYI this hotel does a manager's reception at night (wine, beer, sample foods, etc.) and the hotel shuttle will take you across the main street (Stirling Road) making it an easier trip to Kmart and the restaurants (in case you don't want to walk).

Have Fun :)

We've stayed at both the Hampton In and The Hyatt Place. We live in Fla. so the Hampton was our best deal. One night pre cruise, free round trip shuttle, and got to park our car at the hotel for free. Arrived at the port around 11 and had no wait at all to board!

kdawg954,

If I am not mistaken, it now looks like the Express Deal on Priceline that you steered me to is now $126 instead of the $78 it was Saturday when I booked. That is $48 more!!! If this is the same hotel I really got a good deal! This is the Hyatt House deal. Many thanks again for putting me onto that great deal!

kdawg954,

If I am not mistaken, it now looks like the Express Deal on Priceline that you steered me to is now $126 instead of the $78 it was Saturday when I booked. That is $48 more!!! If this is the same hotel I really got a good deal! This is the Hyatt House deal. Many thanks again for putting me onto that great deal!

No problem at all, it shocked me the deal was there. Really good deal for that time of year. It wouldn't surprise me if that deal was completely pulled.

I actually think that hotel on there now is for the SpringHill Suites which is right next to the Hyatt House. A solid pre cruise hotel, but not as highly rated as Hyatt House. You definitely got a great deal.