vancouver Hotel?

critcatny

I also posted this on "Ports of Call/Vancouver" but decided it might be more seen here.

We are arriving in Vancouver the day before our cruise mid-afternoon (Sunday though) and looking for a decent not expensive hotel for just 1 night. Not sure whether to look by airport or by cruise port. If we have a couple of hours to see any sights in Vancouver, what would you recommend near either (airport or cruiseport)? That will help to decide where to book the hotel. Thanks.

I also posted this on "Ports of Call/Vancouver" but decided it might be more seen here.

We are arriving in Vancouver the day before our cruise mid-afternoon (Sunday though) and looking for a decent not expensive hotel for just 1 night. Not sure whether to look by airport or by cruise port. If we have a couple of hours to see any sights in Vancouver, what would you recommend near either (airport or cruiseport)? That will help to decide where to book the hotel. Thanks.

If you're here in mid summer, it's not dark until 10pm, so there's still lots of options. If you have a downtown (near Canada Place) hotel, it's not too hard to get to Grouse Mountain (not sure when the free shuttle ends, but easy/cheap by seabus/bus), that would be my recommendation.

Vancouver has lots of choices for various budgets. The Pan Pacific and neighboring hotels are the most popular, but also most expensive and lowest vacancies.

As a budget traveller.... I think the Landmark may be the best choice if you are arriving mid-afternoon with just a half day in Vancouver. I like the neighborhood for an evening stroll for shops and restaurants.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/the-empire-landmark.en-gb.html

Another choice is the Delta Suites....

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/d-vancouver-suites.en-gb.html

Get a cab for $35 from YVR to your downtown airport is your fatest choice.

Vancouver has lots of choices for various budgets. The Pan Pacific and neighboring hotels are the most popular, but also most expensive and lowest vacancies.

While we also like the Sutton Place the Pan Pacific is perfect for those with cruises leaving from Canada Place. One never knows with the Pan Pacific -- some dates the prices are less expensive than their "normal" prices. So don't over look this property.

Grouse is 20 minutes from the cruise terminal by bus (there's a free shuttle there)...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Pan+Pacific+Hotel+Vancouver,+Canada+Place,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Grouse+Mountain+Skyride,+North+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&hl=en&sll=38.134557,-95.712891&sspn=56.617153,101.777344&geocode=FTUT8AIdPHKp-CGexbvBydAbUSnXz6PagnGGVDGexbvBydAbUQ%3BFfZb8QId-qep-CnXEvEahW-GVDG37OBicU3mxA&oq=grouse+mounta&t=h&mra=ls&z=13

However with a half day in Vancouver.... you might not find enough time to enjoy Grouse Mountain. Although Grouse is one of the must-see's when in Vancouver. Perhaps it's worth a visit after your cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txO8VK4LaLQ

I think Fly-Over Vancouver is the only attraction you can enjoy in a half-day? In your situation, I recommend...

• taxi from airport to your hotel. 35 minutes
  • once settled, walk down to your hotel concierge and ask for recommends where to go at that time of day.... especially if it's late in the afternoon.

To clarify... what time is your flight arriving in Vancouver. I think it's going to take 90 minutes for you to clear customs, get downtown, check-in, get into your room and be ready for sightseeing.

BTW... Delta Vancouver Suites is a 6 minute walk to the Pan Pacific Grouse Mountain shuttle pickup...

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Delta+Vancouver+Suites,+West+Hastings+Street,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Pan+Pacific+Hotel+Vancouver,+Canada+Place,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&hl=en&sll=49.288547,-123.121949&sspn=0.011686,0.024848&geocode=FRcE8AIdinOp-CG3PyBmG8MCWCkDo5P1eHGGVDG3PyBmG8MCWA%3BFTUT8AIdPHKp-CGexbvBydAbUSnXz6PagnGGVDGexbvBydAbUQ&oq=delta+suit,+Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=17

Edited by xlxo

Look at Blue Horizon ... convenient location, moderate price.

If you're arriving the day prior, stay downtown to better enjoy the city. You'll have a 3 hr time difference to deal with, but even so, you have lots of daylight so get out and explore.

Also, don't be in a rush to board the ship the next day. You have all week to be onboard so enjoy your morning in Vancouver. Rent bikes and peddle the seawall around Stanley Park ... see the totems, rose garden, beaches, the bridge. Or do that upon arrival and visit Grouse Mtn in the morning.

Best Western Drake has also gotten good reviews on this forum.

You don't want to stay out near the airport unless it's amazingly cheap. Stay downtown near Canada place. If you're not too picky, just book something on Priceline in that area. Put in a low-ball bid and see what you get. The closest hotels (Fairmont Waterfront and Pan Pacific) are a little on the expensive side but plenty of other options within a $10 cab ride.