Blind Cruisers Seeking Advice

StLeCe

My fiance and I are planning on taking a cruise for our honeymoon in December, 2011. We've narrowed our options down to either a suite on a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas OR a balcony-stateroom on an 11-night Western and Southern Caribbean cruise on the Celebrity Equinox.

Both of us are totally blind professionals who have traveled a fair amount overseas, but never taken a cruise. We have heard very good things about cruising from many of our blind friends.

Here is my question: have any of you ever experienced any discrimination on either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity? Greg and I don't have any real accomodation concerns, but we are both very active, athletic people and we don't want to be relegated to the "easy" shore excursions and so on because of our blindness. We're not concerned about whether we'll get enough assistance; we're more concerned about whether people will leave us be and allow us to particpate in all on-ship and on-shore activities.

We have several blind friends who have cruised with Royal Caribbean. They have all enjoyed the climbing wall, the skating rink, and so on. I just want to make sure that Greg and I get everything out of our vacation that we're hoping for.

Any advice or experiences you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated!

Stacy

I am not blind, but I am handicapped and use a scooter. My husband and I went on Celebrity Infinity last fall and have been on several Carnival cruises. We did not experience any of the kinds of discrimination that I expect you are asking about. If anything, there was too much help. I would suggest that you do two things. First, contact the Special Needs department to let them know exactly what you need and don't need. Second, when you get on board, go to the Guest Relations desk and do the same thing. At the least, they can pass the info to their staff. You will probably also want to go to the excursions desk to clear up any misconceptions about your abilities. The Special Needs department may be able to give you info on the excursion requirements also. Dealing with the passengers is another story. They are generally nice people that you will need to deal with as you do all the time at home. Congratulations and have a great time.

I met a blind woman traveling solo on the Explorer on Christmas Eve. Since she was alone and we were a family of 4 I invited her to dine with us in Portofinos so she wouldn't spend Christmas Eve alone. She told us that she went on many of the excursions and had no problems whatsoever. I think you'll have a great time.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your advice! We've decided to go with a Concierge Class balcony stateroom on the 11-night Western and Southern Celebrity Equinox cruise!

Our travel agent was able to get us priority embarkation, so we can get oriented to the ship before it gets too crowded and also Braille menus and cruise materials. We are SOOO excited!! :)

Unfortunately, I must be honest, I have seen discrimination and it was so ugly.

I had the honor of meeting a blind single older man on one of our cruises. I was so impressed with him. Can you imagine the courage it takes to take a cruise, alone and blind? The crew treated him like gold. He was like a celebrity on the cruise. He talked openly to me about how he loved the different smells, the delicious food and the different sounds.

However, I overheard horrible comments from one woman with her large family about him and it made me so sick. We went on an ship excursion and she and her family happened to be on the same excursion. So was this blind man. She complained loudly to her family about him constantly. How he slowed up the tour and that he was so slow getting on and off the bus. She was horrible saying she didn't know why he went on a cruise anyway since he can't see anything. This woman was just hateful. Thankfully, she was the minority. No one else on the excursion or cruise had any problem with him.

Perhaps she was jealous because the ships crew went out of their way to make his cruise so special.

However, I can tell you many, many more heartwarming stories about people accepting others just the way they are. Go on this cruise and have the time of your lives. Don't worry about the very few ignorant people. I can guarantee you will have many, many more people who will admire you.

I hope you come back and tell us all about your cruise.

I won't kid you , descrimination will always exist to some degree with a few passenagers regardless of one's disability It's not any different than day to day life. For the most part passengers and crew are very helpful and understanding. Just go, enjoy and don't worry about any narrow minded people that just don't understand. I'm not afraid to speak up and remind those that are overheard making comments that "One never knows how life can change in a minute and it could be them someday in the same situation" That ususally takes care of it.

I'm legally blind and often travel/cruise solo. I still have enough vision left to read text so don't use braille. On the whole I find cruising much easier than any other form of travel. there are usually far less obstacles to trip you up than there are on land.

I don't find discrimination any worse than anywhere else. if anything I probably get more "flac" from specail assistance at airports about my apparent insanity for daring to have a holiday on my own. Evidently some of them feel that if you can't find an abled bodies person to accompany you, you should stay at home!

Just like in regular life, some ppl will just be idiots or jerks. Just don't mind them and you'll have a wonderful time!!

Just so you know, if you get your excursions from places other than the cruiseline, you can save money plus you'll have more (and sometimes better) options of what to do.

Have a blast - and congratulations on your upcoming marriage!!

if anything I probably get more "flac" from specail assistance at airports about my apparent insanity for daring to have a holiday on my own. Evidently some of them feel that if you can't find an abled bodies person to accompany you, you should stay at home!

What's up with that? I can see just fine (save for the occassional slight-prescription glasses I put on to see a few things at a distance, like ballgames or the screens at church, not slightly blurry), but have other disabilities and use a service dog to help me walk and do other things. I was on a plane one time and somebody told me I was brave to travel on my own. I'm sure I gave them the strangest look as I was trying to figure out why I'd have to be brave to do that!

What's up with that? I can see just fine (save for the occassional slight-prescription glasses I put on to see a few things at a distance, like ballgames or the screens at church, not slightly blurry), but have other disabilities and use a service dog to help me walk and do other things. I was on a plane one time and somebody told me I was brave to travel on my own. I'm sure I gave them the strangest look as I was trying to figure out why I'd have to be brave to do that!

Also encountered "the you are so brave" thing too..... They don't seem to get it that we are not being brave or clever or anything else...we are just living our lives the same as them.

Also encountered "the you are so brave" thing too..... They don't seem to get it that we are not being brave or clever or anything else...we are just living our lives the same as them.

Yeah, everybody has issues, so we're not really different than they are. Why are we brave for doing something normal, namely travelling?

I wouldn't take offense to comments that you're "brave" -- I think that people are trying to say that they admire you for overcoming obstacles. Maybe they aren't choosing the right words, but they are well-intentioned. Most of us who aren't visually-impaired can't imagine

how someone could get around a cruise ship and go on shore excursions without a sighted guide -- I think that it is awesome!

I wouldn't take offense to comments that you're "brave" -- I think that people are trying to say that they admire you for overcoming obstacles. Maybe they aren't choosing the right words, but they are well-intentioned. Most of us who aren't visually-impaired can't imagine

how someone could get around a cruise ship and go on shore excursions without a sighted guide -- I think that it is awesome!

You are absolutely right - in most cases - they genuinely are meaning to be kind. there are a few however that say it so patronisingly and their tone and body language convey a completely different message. I have learnt long ago to appreciate the first group and completely ignore the latter as not worth bothering about/letting them upset me.

I, too, travel with a Service Dog and get lots and lots of questions and stares. I don't think you have dogs but with or without them you do face the challenges of dealing with the public.

One of the best things about cruising is that you will be running into [no pun intended] the same people for many, many days. You kind of get used to each other.

You will be asking folks lots of questions. And, you will run into the occasional "grouch", I'm sure this is not new to you and that you have your coffer of things to say.

There are, fortunately, more folks like you and me. We like to help each other and really enjoy meeting new folks with different life experiences than our own.

Have a wonderful cruise and, if I may be so bold to give you both some sage advice; always be each other's best friend!!!!! :)

I, too, travel with a Service Dog and get lots and lots of questions and stares. I don't think you have dogs but with or without them you do face the challenges of dealing with the public.

One of the best things about cruising is that you will be running into [no pun intended] the same people for many, many days. You kind of get used to each other.

You will be asking folks lots of questions. And, you will run into the occasional "grouch", I'm sure this is not new to you and that you have your coffer of things to say.

There are, fortunately, more folks like you and me. We like to help each other and really enjoy meeting new folks with different life experiences than our own.

Have a wonderful cruise and, if I may be so bold to give you both some sage advice; always be each other's best friend!!!!! :)

Archived