Atlantis Tips and ask a question if you like

Midwestmom21969

My husband and 2 sons who are now 11 & 14 have stayed at Atlantis for the last two years over Thanksgiving week.

For the reviews that you read about people not liking a day excursion there - they are probably right. It is simply TOO large to enjoy for the price in less than a full day. It would be like paying full price to go to Disney World for less than a day and trying to see Disney and Epcot. You would not feel you got your money's worth.

It is expensive. It is crowded. The resort is huge to walk - they have shuttles to take between the 3 resort areas. You can't use the Cove area because it is exclusive.

We love Atlantis and it is a fantastic resort to stay at. We have spent over 14 nights there and still have not done it all. You would basically pay to see the aquarium and do the slides maybe once or twice. they have a wonderful lazy river. So fun.

Now if you are dying to see it and do not think you would be able to visit on your own - do it!!!!! Just know going in what you will get for your money.

However, you can pay to go through the property and the aquarium and the grounds. I think the only restriction is you can't use the slides. Double check. That is a more cost effective way to at least see the resort. And it is something to see. But it is not like visiting the islands. It is Disney meets Vegas and lands in the Bahamas.

That makes sense. I wondered how they would control where you go if you are on the grounds.

I know you can also use the Comfort Suites near Atlantis but not on the property. I think you rent a room and then you get full access to everything at Atlantis for a family of four. Some say it is cheaper than going through Atlantis for day passes.

But you would have to go there first and then shuttle over or walk to Atlantis which is fairly close. It is a bit less expensive depending on the time of year you go.

We have used Resort For A Day on a cruise where they get you passes to resorts in advance. You pay a deposit for some resorts or the full amount for others but you have the passes in advance. Not sure how Atlantis would work.

In July I would say they could be fairly long because of summer break. Maybe 20 - 30 minutes. The lazy river has a lot of tubes but they can be hard to get. Although, you can get on the lazy river at different points so that helps. Plus you can take the lazy river and float into a few of the slides if you choose.

The lazy river is fun. Mixed up between a float to a few mild rapids.

I don't know the costs of the different passes. Check on the Atlantis website so you get exact information. Look through their website of pics of the aquarium and also look through trip advisor pics and reviews.

It is neat. The tunnel of sharks and fish you walk through is very cool. The hotel is beautiful and they have a throne where you can get great pictures of your family. This is free though - part of the lobby.

It is always hard for me to place value on an excursion. If you are really trying to be frugal those decisions are different than if the money is not as relevant. If the cost is a more minimal factor than I say do it.

Check the Comfort Suites Paradise Island website. I have seen rooms as low as $220. You would get a room which you may not need and 4 passes to Atlantis with full privileges. This would probably be cheaper than going through Atlantis direct or the cruise or outside excursions. Plus, you would have a guaranteed pass.

If Atlantis is full, they can decline to offer passes. I am sure this is not for the Aquarium/Dig but for the water park. If you have a family of four $$220 plus tax would be worth it.

My girls aren't tall enough for the waterpark yet so we did the Beach Pass excursion through NCL. That gave us access to all the beaches (we hung out at the lagoon b/c the beaches were too rough that day - it was perfect), the aquarium and we could visit everywhere except the Aquaventure. TBH though we didn't even walk over to the Aquaventure area so I don't know what kind of security they have to prevent people who didn't purchase those passes from going in. I'm assuming it's pretty tight over there.

The beach/aquarium (The Dig) passes through NCL were $79/adult and $39/child over the age of 4. It included the shuttle and the convenience of not having to arrange my own transportation was worth the extra $$. Day passes bought directly from Atlantis can only be purchased the day of and are $69 for adults and $30/child.

We wanted our girls to see the aquarium and they LOVED it. Not sure I would have paid for that alone though. You used to be able to walk through The Dig w/o passes and quite frankly I didn't see anyone checking wristbands as we entered so I have no idea how they keep non-paying people from going through. There was also one pool by the lagoon that was not part of Aquaventure and it didn't look like anyone was checking wristbands there either. We didn't go in (nor would we have tried) but I do wonder how they control access to everything there or if they are somewhat lax about certain things.

We were there from 11 am to about 4:15 pm and I would say it was well worth its cost. I didn't feel like the resort was too big to navigate in that time frame. We actually left the resort for lunch and walked through Marina Village on the way there and back then hit the aquarium before returning to the lagoon. In no way did I feel rushed or like I had missed out - but again, we didn't do Aquaventure so maybe I would have felt differently if we had tried to squeeze that in. In that sense I do agree with the OP - when you go you have to narrow down what you want to experience. You definitely can't do it all!

ETA: My sister and her family of 4 did the Aquaventure and booked it through the cruise. She looked into booking Comfort Suites instead but after tax/service fees/etc. it wasn't much less expensive. I think maybe $20 or something? And you have to arrange your own transport. So she booked through NCL. She said the lines were not long at all, but this was 8/2014, so I don't know what they'd be like in 7/2015.

Edited by lzybeanie
added CS and Aquaventure info

My girls aren't tall enough for the waterpark yet so we did the Beach Pass excursion through NCL. That gave us access to all the beaches (we hung out at the lagoon b/c the beaches were too rough that day - it was perfect), the aquarium and we could visit everywhere except the Aquaventure. TBH though we didn't even walk over to the Aquaventure area so I don't know what kind of security they have to prevent people who didn't purchase those passes from going in. I'm assuming it's pretty tight over there.

The beach/aquarium (The Dig) passes through NCL were $79/adult and $39/child over the age of 4. It included the shuttle and the convenience of not having to arrange my own transportation was worth the extra $$. Day passes bought directly from Atlantis can only be purchased the day of and are $69 for adults and $30/child.

We wanted our girls to see the aquarium and they LOVED it. Not sure I would have paid for that alone though. You used to be able to walk through The Dig w/o passes and quite frankly I didn't see anyone checking wristbands as we entered so I have no idea how they keep non-paying people from going through. There was also one pool by the lagoon that was not part of Aquaventure and it didn't look like anyone was checking wristbands there either. We didn't go in (nor would we have tried) but I do wonder how they control access to everything there or if they are somewhat lax about certain things.

We were there from 11 am to about 4:15 pm and I would say it was well worth its cost. I didn't feel like the resort was too big to navigate in that time frame. We actually left the resort for lunch and walked through Marina Village on the way there and back then hit the aquarium before returning to the lagoon. In no way did I feel rushed or like I had missed out - but again, we didn't do Aquaventure so maybe I would have felt differently if we had tried to squeeze that in. In that sense I do agree with the OP - when you go you have to narrow down what you want to experience. You definitely can't do it all!

ETA: My sister and her family of 4 did the Aquaventure and booked it through the cruise. She looked into booking Comfort Suites instead but after tax/service fees/etc. it wasn't much less expensive. I think maybe $20 or something? And you have to arrange your own transport. So she booked through NCL. She said the lines were not long at all, but this was 8/2014, so I don't know what they'd be like in 7/2015.

Thank you for this info.

We just booked a short Bahamas cruise and we were thinking of getting the Beach Pass from NCL. It is good to know that you can access all the beaches with the beach pass.

Thank you for this info.

We just booked a short Bahamas cruise and we were thinking of getting the Beach Pass from NCL. It is good to know that you can access all the beaches with the beach pass.

Compare prices with just buying the pass at Atlantis, and getting a cab. We went to Atlantis twice, once through NCL, and once on our own, and it's easier and quicker just to take a cab.

Hubby and I will be cruising to the Bahamas with an adult friend in March. What about just being able to use the pools/river and go to the beach? I don't know that we will even care much for the slides but the lazy river sounds fun. Is the configuration of the property as such that this would be doable and worth it? We will be there 3/19 (so around spring break).

Hubby and I will be cruising to the Bahamas with an adult friend in March. What about just being able to use the pools/river and go to the beach? I don't know that we will even care much for the slides but the lazy river sounds fun. Is the configuration of the property as such that this would be doable and worth it? We will be there 3/19 (so around spring break).

No - you will not be able to get near the pools without a aqua adventure pass (and the nit so lazy river is way better than any of the slides).

Thank you for this info.

The beach pass does not allow access to all the beaches. It's for the main beach only. When the main beach is too rough, they will open up one of the other beaches to cruisers.

You can't count on being allowed on the other beaches or lagoons.

We are going to visit Atlantis in December and plan to go on our own. Is there a way to reserve tickets ahead of time? I am always a worrier.:(

If they are available, you should be able to reserve thru Majestic tours. They don't advertise, but they do sell them.

Otherwise you would have to book a room at Atlantis or Comfort Suites for passes. In December you usually can't book a single nite.

No - you will not be able to get near the pools without a aqua adventure pass (and the nit so lazy river is way better than any of the slides).

Oh I understand I have to buy the pass. They are $180 through Carnival. I just wanted to know if you thought it was worth it since a) we're not that interested in the slides and b) it will be spring break. We just want to see the place, enjoy the pools and river and sit by the pool, maybe go to the beach. I'm just worried it will be too crowded and since it's so big, we may not have enough time to make our way to everything. Is the river by the pools or is it a long walk? I think we are in port 7am-5pm.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.

Oh I understand I have to buy the pass. They are $180 through Carnival. I just wanted to know if you thought it was worth it since a) we're not that interested in the slides and b) it will be spring break. We just want to see the place, enjoy the pools and river and sit by the pool, maybe go to the beach. I'm just worried it will be too crowded and since it's so big, we may not have enough time to make our way to everything. Is the river by the pools or is it a long walk? I think we are in port 7am-5pm.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.

Spring break will be a zoo. It's extremely crowded and noisy. Not place to relax. Also, the pools don't open until 9am/ slides at 10am and everything is closed by 5pm.

Traffic getting back to the ship will back up around 4:30pm, so you have to be ahead of the traffic, So you'll have to leave around 4pm to be back to the ship by 4:30.

Can't comment on whether or not it's worth it. It's really a personal choice.

Spring break will be a zoo. It's extremely crowded and noisy. Not place to relax. Also, the pools don't open until 9am/ slides at 10am and everything is closed by 5pm.

Traffic getting back to the ship will back up around 4:30pm, so you have to be ahead of the traffic, So you'll have to leave around 4pm to be back to the ship by 4:30.

Can't comment on whether or not it's worth it. It's really a personal choice.

Oh I totally understand. This was helpful, thanks.

Just got off the Getaway and was at Atlantis 9/12/14. Our itinerary was 12-6pm but got in a little early. We did the Comfort Suites Resort for the day and it was $299 for 2 Adults and 1 Child with full access to Atlantis but I know the prices vary by dates. We took a water taxi which is $4/PP one-way ($6/PP Round Trip). It was still a 10 minute walk to the resort and Comfort Suite is right next door. It can be hot so you might want to think about a taxi as they are $4/PP one-way and get there in a few minutes plus they drop you off at the door. It rained and by the time it let up we only had a couple hours to play around. Still had a lot of fun and wished I had more time. You definitely need at least 6 hours to explore the resort. We never saw the beach, blazed through the aquarium and digs, scarfed down some pizza (Pizza by the slice, Hot Dogs and Burgers go about $6 and water is $3.50) went down the big pyramid slide and hit the wave and rapids river. My 7 year old son wouldn't leave the river so we did it about 4 times including the slides on the river.

We hurried back to Comfort Suites to shower and change clothes. We got a taxi back as I didn't want to hike to the water taxi. I think this is a resort you need to stay at to enjoy everything. So figure out what you want to do and do that...don't try to do everything. FYI: 48" or taller to do the slides. They have security to watch for the wristbands for Aquaventure...no wristband no access.

If they are available, you should be able to reserve thru Majestic tours. They don't advertise, but they do sell them.

Otherwise you would have to book a room at Atlantis or Comfort Suites for passes. In December you usually can't book a single nite.

Thank you very much. I just sent them an email to try much luck. We won't go water park therefore a day pass excluding water park reserved thru Majestic tours would work best for us.

The beach pass does not allow access to all the beaches. It's for the main beach only. When the main beach is too rough, they will open up one of the other beaches to cruisers.

You can't count on being allowed on the other beaches or lagoons.

Thank you for the clarification. Is the main beach the same as Cabbage Beach? I thought I have read it somewhere before...

I would love to be able to visit the cove beach and the lagoon but I understand that they want to reserve those areas for the hotel guests and those paying for the Aquaventure pass.

Thank you for the clarification. Is the main beach the same as Cabbage Beach? I thought I have read it somewhere before...

I would love to be able to visit the cove beach and the lagoon but I understand that they want to reserve those areas for the hotel guests and those paying for the Aquaventure pass.

Yes, the Main beach is Cabbage Beach. If the water is rough, which it is often, then Cove Beach will be open to cruisers.