BRITS - Are you noticing things to be a lot more exspensive with the weak pound?

HarryKane

I'm off for a week's cruise on the Magic soon but have noticed just how badly the pound is getting destroyed against the dollar and was wondering if this has had any big affects on peoples spending? Suddenly things are not as cheap as they used to be for us brits and the dollar is now more or less 1 dollar to the pound which is bad for us guys.

Any tips on how to not spend as much (other than cancel :D)? I know i'm on vacation but I don't want to cripple myself financially and run up a huge credit card bill before xmas!

Cheers drinks package to start with maybe? Except my wife is not a big drinker!

Hi,

We rarely spend a lot of money on board the ship.

Our bill at the end of the cruise is not usually more than $300 and that includes tips!

OF course it is your vacation and you'll have to decide what to spend and where to cut.

I imagine that you could drink less alcohol for starters.

We have about 3-4drinks each per day but sometimes less than that.

We don't buy pix on the ship at all.

We do some ports on our own rather than pay for ship excursions.

Everyone travels differently so how you plan to spend your hard earned money will be up to you.

Hi,

We rarely spend a lot of money on board the ship.

Our bill at the end of the cruise is not usually more than $300 and that includes tips!

We have about 3-4drinks each per day but sometimes less than that.

How does your bill come to less than $300 with tips and 3-4 drinks a day each? Tips and three $6 beers per person for two people comes to about $62 a day. That's well over $400 for a seven-day cruise. Mixed drinks would drive it even higher. At that rate you'd be over $300 on a five-day cruise.

Try being Canadian.

We had a surge in the dollar a few years ago against the US dollar - we came about even and settled at $1.10 for a good while. Then oil prices dropped, Political changes happened, the US dollar strengthened and suddenly we're between $1.34 and $1.39.

It's heart breaking to have to pay so much more.

I've just become a little more frugal in both our everyday spending and in our cruise spending. I always convert everything to Canadian dollars when I'm considering if the cruise is a good value.