Excursions in St. Thomas and St. Maarten

Celticsun32

matj2000 - what rental car places have you used? We would like to rent a jeep but have heard some bad stories of getting taking advantage of so we want to use a reputable company. Thanks!

St.Maarten is the easiest place to rent a car.

We do it every visit.

The cars are right at the port and the island is an easy place to drive.

I think the total price for the day was around $65 for the day.

Highly recommended..........

Renting a car on SXM is a great way to go. We also love the Golden Eagle catamaran sail. Not necessarily for snorkeling but for a nice day with an excellent crew.

http://www.sailingsxm.com

For STT, if docked at Havensight Morningstar is closest as mentioned, but your beach of choice really depends on the experience you want. We'd pay a little more to go to Sapphire or Hull Bay unless time was really limited due to an excursion, etc...

In St Thomas, I did Sapphire Beach twice. I love it there. They do provided chairs there. Taxis will take you there. They also have taxis waiting on side when you ready to leave. They don't like to leave us tourist stranded. On my last visit i heard megan bay is 4 dollars to get on. This remind me back home on jersey shore. Anyway, last year there was 19000 people visiting for the day and sapphire was so quiet that like 300 spread out around. No feeling to be cramp in. very spacious with calm water.

St Marteen I did mayo beach. I would avoid this beach because it got destroyed in hurricane last year. I was there last year and there was plenty of room for everyone to walk around, now it just a small path with tons of jagged rock. Too bad they don't do beach replenishment program like ny and nj do. Since you want to go to marigot, just go to taxi stand and they bunk you up with other cruisers.

Is there anything near Sapphire besides the beach? places to eat? shop?

THANKS!

There is a food cabana at Sapphire - Banana Cabana, and there are food runners from a nearby restaurant. You can have pizza delivered - the dive shop will call for you. Oh! A new food truck recently opened at the top of the hill from the beach - Calypso Johnnies. You eat at picnic tables and the menu offers johnny cake sandwiches.

No shops, but there are many shops at the dock.

There is a food cabana at Sapphire - Banana Cabana, and there are food runners from a nearby restaurant. You can have pizza delivered - the dive shop will call for you. Oh! A new food truck recently opened at the top of the hill from the beach - Calypso Johnnies. You eat at picnic tables and the menu offers johnny cake sandwiches.

No shops, but there are many shops at the dock.

Oh that sounds perfect! Thanks so much!