Dover Sea Wall Update

Hi from Australia,

We are on the Sea Princess 9th July docking at Dover for one day and want to go my train to London.

Someone on our Roll Call mentioned that the sea wall was fixed but I cant find any info to support that.

Does anyone know what the current state of repairs to sea wall are?

Many thanks

I've had a quick look round the internet and I can't find anything that says repairs are completed, or even a completion date. Of course, as you are not arriving until July, it could all be done by then. Last year Network Rail replaced a mile long segment of the Dawlish Sea Wall that washed away in less time than they envisaged, so don't give up hope! However, currently there is a bus transfer from Dover Priory to Folkestone. This is only timetabled as a 20 minute trip, so not overly onerous. This is part of the joy of having the oldest rail network in the world!!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bit of a dig around as i'm local (I live about 30 mins from dover :)) and to be honest it's not great news could be a long time...

Anyway probably the best for the latest travel infomation is :-

http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/your-journey/dover-line-closure/

But looking around it looks like 6 months to a year (that was said in Feb).

The track between Dover and Folkestone is nowhere near fixed and I overheard the conductor on the High Speed Train say that it'll be at least 6 months, but as Chelseauk says, I'd bank on it being longer. Apparently the crew that fixed the Dawlish sea wall is doing the Dover one. There is a replacement bus service from Dover station to Folkestone that will meet the train to St Pancras, the whole journey being about an hour and 20 minutes so still very doable.

Was planning to take the train to Canterbury. Does tat service have a problem too?

No. The trains from Dover Priory to Canterbury East don't use the sea wall. The 52 minute past train is 'fast' to Canterbury East (16 minutes); the 20 minute past train is a stopping train (27 minutes).

Simon

Just been trailed on the local news as not repaired until december
Here is Network Rail's press release:-
Dover to Folkestone railway expected to reopen in December

04 April 2016

A severely damaged stretch of railway between Dover and Folkestone will need to be completely replaced with a new viaduct before trains can run again.

The £44.5m project to rebuild the line has already begun and Network Rail engineers say they are targeting December 2016 for the railway to reopen to trains.

Work to protect the existing structure and cliffs has been under way since the start of the year, and preliminary construction on the 235m-long viaduct started last week.

Designed to last 120 years, the new viaduct will be supported by 134 concrete columns sunk into the beach.

The railway at this location was originally built on a timber viaduct and our modern, concrete viaduct will follow the same principles – although it will be hidden behind a wall of rock sea defences. We will also put a new footbridge back where the old one was, so people can continue to enjoy Shakespeare beach.

It’s a massive job but we have a good plan in place and we are already cracking on.

Network Rail’s Steve Kilby, who is leading the project

In addition, almost 750m of the sea wall is being defended with more than 90,000 tonnes of rock – the same weight as two modern cross-Channel ferries.

I completely understand how difficult this has been for rail travellers. Yet once the works are complete, we will have a more resilient railway line.

I will do all I can to see the project keeps to the timetable and we get our rail services back on track as soon as we can.

Charlie Elphicke, MP for Dover and Deal

Since the closure of the line on Christmas Eve last year, train company Southeastern has restructured and adapted its timetable of services, and worked to provide special train services, bus replacements and free car parking where most needed for those who are most affected.

For the latest travel information and details on claiming compensation, check the Southeastern website.

Go to our dedicated project page for more information on our work to repair the Dover sea wall.

Passengers have been incredibly patient while their railway has been closed and I want to assure them that everyone at Network Rail and principal contractor Costain has been working incredibly hard on a plan to reopen the railway as quickly as possible.

We hope to have trains running again in December. As with all projects of this scale, and this kind of exposed location, we will face challenges with the weather and the ground we are working on, but I am confident this is the right plan and one that will give us a strong railway, years into the future.

Alasdair Coates, Network Rail’s route managing director
I suspect that Network Rail doesn't understand the difference between tonnes as a measurement of mass and tons as a (nautical) measurement of volume.

Hi all, I'm from Australia too and will be on the Sea Princess with Margaret in July arriving in Dover. We also want to catch the train to London. Can anyone tell me which train would be the best to catch. I was thinking Dover Priory to Charing Cross as there was no changing trains - direct route. (except of course with the bus ride to Folkestone) Is this the best way to get to London. Thank You Angie

We also want to catch the train to London. Can anyone tell me which train would be the best to catch. I was thinking Dover Priory to Charing Cross as there was no changing trains - direct route. (except of course with the bus ride to Folkestone) Is this the best way to get to London.
It rather depends on where you're going. AIUI, you can still go from Dover Priory direct to London Victoria without even having to take the bus to Folkestone. But whether Victoria's a good place for you to head for depends on where you're then going from there.

It rather depends on where you're going. AIUI, you can still go from Dover Priory direct to London Victoria without even having to take the bus to Folkestone. But whether Victoria's a good place for you to head for depends on where you're then going from there.

Hi Globaliser, we have never been to London before so our plans were to head up and do the HOHO bus around London seeing as much of the sites as possible. Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Tower of London etc. Thanks for your help Angie

Thanks everyone for your helpful information.

We were wondering if it is a good option to catch a taxi from Dover cruise terminal direct to Folkestone instead of a taxi to Dover Priory and then a bus to Folkestone?

Will it save us time and are there taxi's readily available when we return to Folkestone at abt 8pm to take us back to the ship? Also, any idea how much the taxi cost would be and how long the trip is?

Any info would be appreciated :)

Thanks everyone for your helpful information.

We were wondering if it is a good option to catch a taxi from Dover cruise terminal direct to Folkestone instead of a taxi to Dover Priory and then a bus to Folkestone?

Will it save us time and are there taxi's readily available when we return to Folkestone at abt 8pm to take us back to the ship? Also, any idea how much the taxi cost would be and how long the trip is?

Any info would be appreciated :)

Great question Marg. Hopefully someone can help. Angie

Its about 9 miles each way, mostly using the A20 which is a fast dual carriageway, so I would imagine a cab would do it easy in 15 minutes and that will be from the cruise terminal. Can't see a problem with getting a cab at Folkestone in the evening...they are always hanging about stations and what with the problems on the sea wall, there are probably lots of locals using them to get to Dover too. Looked on a couple of websites and taxi fare would be about £12 each way. Well worth it if you can find another couple to share the cost.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Simon for this information. Not sure how I missed your post but better late than never. Yes I think we will catch a taxi. Better than waiting for a bus that possibly hundreds of others from the cruise would be doing the same.

Thanks Simon for this information. Not sure how I missed your post but better late than never. Yes I think we will catch a taxi. Better than waiting for a bus that possibly hundreds of others from the cruise would be doing the same.

What time in the morning were you thinking of getting away? or which train to London ie time were you planning on catching

Cheers

Angela

What time in the morning were you thinking of getting away? or which train to London ie time were you planning on catching

Cheers

Angela

Angela we booked the 8.02am train. We plan on catching a cab to Folkestone Central and then the train from there, straight to St Pancras.

Angie

• 3 months later...

The sea wall work has been finished, about three months ahead of schedule. The railway line will reopen on Monday 5 September 2016.

Dover to Folkestone railway to reopen three months ahead of schedule in September

The railway between Dover and Folkestone will reopen on Monday 5 September following a nine-month project to repair the line.

Passengers from Dover, Deal, Walmer, Sandwich and Martin Mill will be able to use a full train service again from this September, as Network Rail completes a £39.8m project and reopens the railway between Dover and Folkestone.

The line had to be closed on Christmas Eve last year after extensive damage to the sea wall was found at Shakespeare beach.

Since then, Network Rail’s orange army has worked to build a new 235-metre long viaduct supported by more than 130 concrete columns.

This project is a huge achievement for all involved and I'm extremely proud of what has been done by those who have been working on the project since December.

Finishing this project three months ahead of schedule is a reflection of the continuous hard work that has been taking place here, setting the standard expected at Network Rail.

We face some big challenges in the coming years but with the skills and the dedication on show here at Dover I know we will face them head on.

Mark Carne, Network Rail chief executive

See the Dover project page for videos and more information on the repair work
On Christmas Eve last year, parts of the railway between Dover and Folkestone were completely destroyed.

By Boxing Day, engineers were on site and since then have been working around the clock to get our railway back up and running, completing this repair work in just nine months when a job like this would normally take two years.

A huge thanks to the team for their hard work, and I would also like to thank passengers on this line for their patience while the railway has been closed.

John Halsall, route managing director for the South East route, Network Rail

While the railway has been closed between Dover and Folkestone, Network Rail has invested an additional £3.5m to make the line more resilient.

As part of the work there have been brickwork repairs on Shakespeare, Abbotscliffe and Martello tunnels, 2.4km of new track, and drainage work in Abbotscliffe tunnel.

The work that has taken place in the last nine months is a tremendous piece of British engineering, and a tribute to the dedication of both Network Rail and Costain staff.

The railway between Dover and Folkestone is a key method of transport for residents of Dover and Deal and I’m delighted that it has been returned to them within a year of the line being closed.

Charlie Elphicke, MP for Dover and Deal

Due to the scale of this project there will be three Sundays of follow-up work to allow final works to be completed, on 11 September, 2 October and 9 October, resulting in smoother and quieter journeys for passengers.

Check National Rail for the latest travel information

A new timetable for services has been in place throughout the work at Dover, with a day and night bus service running to ensure passengers can keep moving.

Passengers who use the line between Dover and Folkestone have been offered a compensation package along with free car parking permits at Folkestone West while the line is closed.

Go to Southeastern's website for emergency timetables and compensation information