Need coin laundry in NZ

Jetswdo

I will need to do a laundry in either Akaroa Harbor, Dunedin, or Dusky Sound.

Has anyone done this coming off Celebrity or any other cruise line that doesn't have a self service laundry? The cruise will be 13 days and these three ports are in middle of cruise. I won't use Celebrity to do my clothes because they only use very hot water, and I only use cold water wash. (so it isn't my being cheap!) Anyway, I would like to use one port day to do laundry in the am, and then site see in the afternoon.

I will need to do a laundry in either Akaroa Harbor, Dunedin, or Dusky Sound. Has anyone done this coming off Celebrity or any other cruise line that doesn't have a self service laundry? The cruise will be 13 days and these three ports are in middle of cruise. I won't use Celebrity to do my clothes because they only use very hot water, and I only use cold water wash. (so it isn't my being cheap!) Anyway, I would like to use one port day to do laundry in the am, and then site see in the afternoon.

Dunedin will be your best bet, but keep in mind you have to take a bus ride from the ship to the city and then find your way to the laundromat. I did a quick google map search and a couple of options showed up in the city. Good luck.

Agree with the above post from our Aussie friend on the Celebrity board that Dunedin might be your best option, MAYBE, if and IF!! Can't do it in Dusky Sound. No stopping there. Akaroa is fairly small. Very limited options there.

Why the above if's? Lots to do in and around these great areas of the NZ South Island. Why waste a half day in Dunedin getting to the main downtown from where the ship docks, finding such a laundry, etc., etc.? Your time is very, very valuable and highly limited for this incredibly beautiful and unique region!!! Make every minute count.

In this area, you should also consider doing two-day, Queenstown overnight excursion. Do a search on this thread and you will see more info, details, etc., about that wonderful potential!!

As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Check out these postings for much more info/background on these great areas of the world, this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, etc. Lots of pictures and details there on this Queenstown option.

You are going to LOVE New Zealand!! Reactions and added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 61,830 views for this fun posting.

Akaroa is such a beautiful little spot that I'd much rather soak it all in than be soaking laundry. My tip - take clothes that you don't mind Celebrity washing and enjoy the cruise. They really do make a good job of it.

SPacificbound: The NZ South Island is the most beautiful place! If at all possible make alternate plans for your laundry.

Two' date=' excellent above comments[/i'] are shared here that were posted on the Celebrity board. Especially the first one noted by the smart UK poster. This wisdom sums it all up very, very well. Figure out your alternatives so that you don't need to waste any valuable time in NZ fiddling with finding a place, doing laundry, etc., during key port stops. Too many great options to see and experience on the south island of NZ.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 174,864 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Erewhon, thanks for simply answering my question without a lecture. I really appreciate it.

Terry, I have my reasons why it works for me if I can have just a few hours available so that I can take care of my laundry needs. That is why I posted my question. I am well aware that New Zealand is lovely, that is why I am planning a trip to go there. People on this board are generally very helpful. But truth be told, I wish people would just answer the questions posted without feeling the need to lecture the poster. I just find it annoying. Not trying to insult you as you took the time to respond to my post, so thank you for doing that.

Erewhon-- I emailed the bed and bath to find out if public laundry is still there- someone thought it closed- hoping that isn't true as that would work out quite well for us. Another thought I had, is to find out if one of the places has a day pass that has a self serve laundry there. Then we could relax on a beach and take care of it at the same time.

Erewhon, thanks for simply answering my question without a lecture. I really appreciate it.

Terry, I have my reasons why it works for me if I can have just a few hours available so that I can take care of my laundry needs. That is why I posted my question. I am well aware that New Zealand is lovely, that is why I am planning a trip to go there. People on this board are generally very helpful. But truth be told, I wish people would just answer the questions posted without feeling the need to lecture the poster. I just find it annoying. Not trying to insult you as you took the time to respond to my post, so thank you for doing that.

Erewhon-- I emailed the bed and bath to find out if public laundry is still there- someone thought it closed- hoping that isn't true as that would work out quite well for us. Another thought I had, is to find out if one of the places has a day pass that has a self serve laundry there. Then we could relax on a beach and take care of it at the same time.

Thanks for your reply.

Did the people at the Port Chalmers bed and breakfast offer to find out if the public laundry will be open?

If not, the motel at Akaroa sounds a good idea.

The motel is situated beside the beach, you could wait on the beach until your laundry has finished.

I doubt you would have to buy a day pass.

The motel is probably about a 10 minute walk from the pier where the tenders come ashore.

The website for the motel is www.akaroawaterfront.co.nz if you wish to contact them.

I checked the NZ Yellow Pages and there is no mention of a laundry in Port Chalmers. The Yellow Pages has the most accurate info available.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Appreciate your follow-up and added info. Clearly, it's all your choice. I try not to "lecture" too much, but it can be, at times, good to share added background. WHY?? Many on these boards have never been to Australia or New Zealand. Some have not done much advance research, including talking in-depth with people who have toured and/or lived there. Many have only cruised in the Carib where the port options and potentials might be more limited. For certain parts of Europe and other special parts of the world, however, some, but maybe not you, don't understand the vast range of great options in certain of the ports. They get there, having not done much advance homework and discovered they missed many opportunities to better plan/manage their limited time in each port.

Good luck on your trip. Let us know any added questions.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 62,362 views for this fun posting.

• 2 weeks later...
I will need to do a laundry in either Akaroa Harbor, Dunedin, or Dusky Sound.

Has anyone done this coming off Celebrity or any other cruise line that doesn't have a self service laundry? The cruise will be 13 days and these three ports are in middle of cruise. I won't use Celebrity to do my clothes because they only use very hot water, and I only use cold water wash. (so it isn't my being cheap!) Anyway, I would like to use one port day to do laundry in the am, and then site see in the afternoon.

I have been assured by a reliable source, who visited Port Chalmers today, and parked outside, that there is a self service Laundromat, situated next to the "Tall Poppy" Café, on the right hand side of the main street as you walk up from the ship.