Help!!!!!!!!!

csk

we are booked on a cruise that leaves out of Harwich, and will be flying into Heathrow the day before, what is the best way to get to a hotel near the pier the night before, or should we stay near the airport and leave from there in the morning.

We want a shuttle or car, not public transportation, not good with that. We have cruised many times, but never out of Hariwich and I am just confused on how to get there, Was hoping to find something less than the ships bus which is $100 per person each way. I know the pier is a long way. Thanks for all your help

we are booked on a cruise that leaves out of Harwich, and will be flying into Heathrow the day before, what is the best way to get to a hotel near the pier the night before, or should we stay near the airport and leave from there in the morning.

We want a shuttle or car, not public transportation, not good with that. We have cruised many times, but never out of Hariwich and I am just confused on how to get there, Was hoping to find something less than the ships bus which is $100 per person each way. I know the pier is a long way. Thanks for all your help

Harwich IS a long way from London and the roads are not good (ie not motorways) so it takes time. Lots of time. The best way to go is by train from Liverpool St station. But with luggage etc that might not be wonderful... I took a really good limo service in January from London City Airport to Heathrow (didn't want to mess with trains and change of trains). The company was Exclusive Airports. It cost me around £50 for the transfer. I would double that for London to Harwich.

Given the fact that you are arriving from the US and will be jet lagged I would suggest you stay in London for the night and go to the ship in the morning.

We want a shuttle or car, not public transportation
--

That, to me, is your biggest obstacle. Personally, if it were me, I would take the Heathrow Express into Central London on arrival, stay the night somewhere central, then get a taxi to Liverpool St. Station for the train to the pier the next day. I've never this end of the trip, but from satellite pics seen on this board have shown just how close the station is to the cruise terminal. And taking the Heathrow Express really is easy; you can take a luggage cart virtually to the platform, and get another cart on arrival in Paddington (remember to get a pound coin from somewhere; the carts are those coin deposit-type things). Easy to wheel it then to the taxi stand and grab a ride to your hotel.

That, to me, is your biggest obstacle. Personally, if it were me, I would take the Heathrow Express into Central London on arrival,... Easy to wheel it then to the taxi stand and grab a ride to your hotel.

I too am surprised people aren't willing to take their suitcases on trains, when often the 'too far' walk is 1/2 the length of a cruise ship, or 1/4 the distance they drag it through a major airport.

Heathrow -> Harwich the way you suggested (Heathrow Express, Taxi, Lpl St ->Harwich) is how I'd do it, in fact I might even take the tube, but I know that really can be awkward w/ luggage.

We ended our cruise in Harwich last summer, and took the train to Liverpool St. Station. It was the easiest transfer we've ever had!!! The train station is right next to the ship. You have to walk further to take a bus or taxi. Leaving the ship they had a 'cruise train' that was an express, so there were no stops, everyone had luggage all over the train, and it was no big deal. Check on nationalrail.co.uk to see if there's a cruise train. It was so simple, and the cheapest option at £50 for 4 of us.

Archived