Bonorong park

ncgolferette

A group of us will be docked in Hobart until 11 pm next April. HAL offers a nocturnal excursion to the Bomorong wildlife park indicating that the sighting of animals is at its best that time of day. I don't know if we should include the visit during the day as part of a private tour or skip it and then take the nocturnal tour with HAL.

Edited by ncgolferette

A group of us will be docked in Hobart until 11 pm next April. HAL offers a nocturnal excursion to the Bomorong wildlife park indicating that the sighting of animals is at its best that time of day. I don't know if we should include the visit during the day as part of a private tour or skip it and then take the nocturnal tour with HAL.

Not sure whether at night you will see that much more compared to being there during the daytime. Maybe worth it, maybe not. At night, you might not see as much, as well of the "good stuff" you can experience during the day. Don't know that that they have that many great, added options during the nocturnal period. Trade-offs?? As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Celebrity Solstice last month and had a visit to this park during our Hobart stop.

Below are a few photo highlights from this wildlife park stop. Many more can be seen on the full live/blog. It is not a big park, but allows lots of access, seeing much a short period of time. We also did Port Arthur during our Hobart port stop through a private tour we set up for our group of fourteen.

Added questions on other stops, sights in these wonderful areas of the world?

Check out these postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, our many NZ and Aussie sights, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 47,748 views for this fun posting.

Here is a mother Kangaroo with the baby “Joey” in the pouch at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. We saw two different mothers carrying babies in their pouch. Very cute and interesting!!:

TasWildlifeCtr11_zps7ecc084b.jpg

Here is Karen from our Central Ohio group finding a cute Kangaroo for feeding at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary with its location nearby to Hobart. And, surprise!!, this mother has an even more lovable baby in the pouch. This is getting really up close and personal.:

TasWildlifeCtr13_zps18702109.jpg

Here is a larger group of Kangaroos. Quite a wide range of ages and sizes. :

TasWildlifeCtr12_zpsd1ece76a.jpg

Here is a little wombat at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary.. Did you think they look like this?:

TasWildlifeCtr18_zps133d1820.jpg

Here is a full view of an emu at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Next is Susan from our group getting ready to feed an emu, but becoming a little surprised by how aggressive this unique animal got by putting its head under the fence. Susan thought they seemed fairly oily on the tops of their heads. Not all animals are cute and perfect in their looks!:

TasWildlifeCtr14_zpsd7da1b4b.jpg

TasWildlifeCtr16_zps26ca2d3e.jpg

• 6 months later...

To ncgolferette: I saw you cruised Australia/New Zealand with HAL last April. I wonder if you departed from Sydney or Auckland? My husband & I are booking the 14-days Auckland-Sydney with HAL (Depart. April 5, 2015) and visit relatives in Australia after disembarkation. Some one told us that we will be going against the sea current and will have rough sea. I looked at South Pacific Organizer website and it said" sea journeys all across South Pacific are smoother westbound than eastbound". Who is correct? Did your ship had rough sea last April? Should I move my booking to a departure from Sydney instead? Please advise! Thanks!

To ncgolferette: I saw you cruised Australia/New Zealand with HAL last April. I wonder if you departed from Sydney or Auckland? My husband & I are booking the 14-days Auckland-Sydney with HAL (Depart. April 5, 2015) and visit relatives in Australia after disembarkation. Some one told us that we will be going against the sea current and will have rough sea. I looked at South Pacific Organizer website and it said" sea journeys all across South Pacific are smoother westbound than eastbound". Who is correct? Did your ship had rough sea last April? Should I move my booking to a departure from Sydney instead? Please advise! Thanks!

Welcome to the these Cruise Critic boards. Don't be shy!! Keep asking good questions. People are very helpful and smart on these boards.

While I am not ncgolferette, our cruise was from Sydney (with a stop enroute at Hobart/Tasmania) to the southern part of NZ as we headed up to Auckland. Our Tasman Sea experience? Rough!! It can happen either direction. Don't know that there is any magic or exact science that says or guarantees that one direction is going to be better than the other. It's somewhat luck (or bad luck).

Check out the postings below on my live/blog for more info/background on these many different ports, tour options, visuals, etc.! Happy to answer any questions. Just go the live/blog, post there and I will be happy to respond and share more.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 80,096 views for this fun posting.

Welcome to the these Cruise Critic boards. Don't be shy!! Keep asking good questions. People are very helpful and smart on these boards.

While I am not ncgolferette, our cruise was from Sydney (with a stop enroute at Hobart/Tasmania) to the southern part of NZ as we headed up to Auckland. Our Tasman Sea experience? Rough!! It can happen either direction. Don't know that there is any magic or exact science that says or guarantees that one direction is going to be better than the other. It's somewhat luck (or bad luck).

Check out the postings below on my live/blog for more info/background on these many different ports, tour options, visuals, etc.! Happy to answer any questions. Just go the live/blog, post there and I will be happy to respond and share more.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 80,096 views for this fun posting.

Sorry! Thank you very much Terry!

Sorry! Thank you very much Terry!

Happy to help. For Dee, no need to say "sorry". Feel free to ask any questions that fit your needs and interests. Keep doing your good research and planning.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting is now at 42,792 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

On the subject of doing Bonorong by Night

It is definitely worth it to see our native animals at the time of day in which they are most active. The majority sit around for long periods during the day snoozing and as they are nocturnal you get a much better interaction with them

If you wanted to DIY then have aloof at Bonorongs website as they offer transfers (Minimum cost 2 adults is about $400AUD) then compare that with the cruise ship.

Something to consider is that your group of 2 will be your group whereas from the ship it is likely they will have approx 15 in a group.

You could do a price comparison and contact bonorong for info.

Dee

My cruise is this coming april so can't answer your questions. As long as I am on a ship I'm happy going in any direction.