Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

On aother board, I posted some of my earlier Venice pictures and I got lots of nice comments. I thought I would share some of those visuals here and invite other comments on what you loved most in Venice. What was the "magic" for you?

I first visited Venice, twice, in December of 1970, seeing a city without the summer mobs. In some ways, it was then even more of the "real thing" as you were better experiencing it as to how residents live, work and walk around there. We were back in May 1999 and hope to be there again in June 2011 as a cruise stop. This is the website for the official Venice tourism office:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/venezia/eng/default.asp?lingua=en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Nothing says Venice better than Piazza San Marco, the "living room" of this great city. Unlike most cities in Europe, this square has people prevailing over the sounds of cars, trucks and motor scooters. The Piazza has it all, the Basilica of San Marco at its eastern end, the Campanile Tower, other historic buildings and the walkway to where Marco Polo boarded ships to discover China and the East. Plus, in the evenings, there are the "battle of the bands" with music playing and people enjoying this area without the middle of the day tourist mobs.:

VeniceSanMarcoSqWideHigh.jpg

VeniceStMarksFront.jpg

This picture shows San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. The gondolas are docked in the foreground in the main part of Venice. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today.:

VeniceGondBldgsDistnance.jpg

This Venice picture gives a sample of different roof designs/decorations, the church dome and the famed Campanile. This bell tower of St Mark's Basilica is 323 feet tall and is a plain brick square shaft, 39 feet wide on each side. This tower reached its present form in 1514, but was reconstructed in 1912 after the 1902 collapse.:

VeniceArchitectureHighlights.jpg

Along a canal, this is Da Raffaelle where we had an outdoor table right next to the waterway. Wonderful food and spectacular setting. It is located at Ponte delle Ostreghe 2347. It is west of San Marco Square and south of La Fenice Opera House.:

VeniceCanalDiningRaffae.jpg

Here is a sampling of more great architecture details in Venice on the historic building and stone columns. In the background is Santa Maria della Salute. There are over one million timber piles supporting the vast weight of this Baroque church's large dome.:

VeniceGarg2IslandDomes.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the second group of some visual highlights and options from super wonderful Venice. Don't miss these great treasures in such a spectacular, historic city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In Venice, this shows boats in the harbor in front of St. Mark's with the famed Basilica of St Mary of Health in the background. The church was designed in the Palladian style and construction began in 1631. The dome of "the Salute" is an important part of the Venice skyline and it inspired artists such as Canaletto, J. M. W. Turner and John Singer Sargent to make it a key symbol of this historic city.:

VeniceBoatsDomeIslands.jpg

Saint Mark's Basilica is the most famous of the Venice's churches and one of the best examples of Byzantine architecture. With its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, it was a symbol of Venetian wealth/power. Also called the "church of gold", it was consecrated in 1071. This interior picture reflects that gold and beauty.:

VeniceStMarkGoldInterior.jpg

Here are many boats docked along the Riva Degli Schiavoni that runs east of the Doge's Palace.:

VeniceShipsDockingWaterfront.jpg

In Venice, this is inside the Doge’s spectacular palace next to St. Mark’s Cathedral. This gothic-style palace was largely constructed from 1309 to 1324.:

VeniceDogePalaceInterior.jpg

While walking around in the back streets of Venice, we found this cute shop that makes the famed masks. This wasn't a "tourist shop", but a source for the "real thing".:

VeniceMaskShop.jpg

The Rialto Bridge is the oldest of four bridges across the Grand Canal in Venice. It was built 1588-91 and has shops on the sides of its structure.:

VeniceRialtoBrGondola.jpg

• Like 1

These pictures are beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them. We will be in Venice in July 2011 for 2 days precruise. We already have our hotel booked, from a recommendation of friends.

We plan on DIY tours, as it seems easy to get around.

Did you DIY ? What are some good resources for walking tours? Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

These pictures are beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them. We will be in Venice in July 2011 for 2 days precruise. We already have our hotel booked, from a recommendation of friends.

We plan on DIY tours, as it seems easy to get around.

Did you DIY ? What are some good resources for walking tours? Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rick Steves has some good walking itineraries. We enjoyed some of the quieter spots such as the Correr museum, Campo San Tome near the Frari church and the island of Torcello. When you borrow the book from your library to see if it's worth buying, also get 'City of Falling Angels"

Edited by Earl Rosebery
  • Like 2

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures.We have been to Venice 2 times on our own and will be returning with a cruise next June. I have promised my Grandson for years that when he was 13 I would take him to Venice and now I will keep that promise.

Venice is my most loved Europeon city and it is hard to know eaxactly why except it is so beautiful and so different from anyplace else.Paris and Budapest are also beautiful but there is no place like Venice.I think as long as I can travel I will always return.

• Like 2

These pictures are beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them. We will be in Venice in July 2011 for 2 days precruise. We already have our hotel booked, from a recommendation of friends. We plan on DIY tours, as it seems easy to get around. Did you DIY ? What are some good resources for walking tours? Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated. Thanks

letsgo39: Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures. We have been to Venice 2 times on our own and will be returning with a cruise next June. I have promised my Grandson for years that when he was 13 I would take him to Venice and now I will keep that promise. Venice is my most loved Europeon city and it is hard to know eaxactly why except it is so beautiful and so different from anyplace else. Paris and Budapest are also beautiful but there is no place like Venice.I think as long as I can travel I will always return.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Venice is very special and so great. Much of Venice can be DIY as it is so compact. Just walking around' date=' maybe getting a little lost, etc., can help you discover some new and interesting places. There are always signs directing you back to Piazza San Marco. Clearly, it's vital to do advance reading and research so that you can consider which of the many options on which you will focus your time and attention. Here are some of my quick summary points:

[u']VENICE[/u] (pop. 299,000), best options/priorities of St. Mark’s Basilica (Sun. 2-5:30, M-S 9:45-5:30) be sure to take stairs/steps and go up to the higher second level for both great inside and outside views, wonderful 1000-year old church; Doge’s Palace (9-6 daily), see the jail area, great outdoor pictures from the balcony off of the grand ballroom-reception area on the second level; do sunrise walk, enjoy the “battling bands” at night on San Marco Square; Grand Canal boat ride; Rialto Bridge and its area is wonderful; Gallerie dell’Accademia (9-10, Sun 9-6) has very good art, but not as great the Uffizi in Florence, nice stuff by Leonardo DaVinci; wonderful shopping options, including silk, such as ties on San Marco Square; just walking around Venice is the total joy, no cars, truck or motor scooters, just lots of interesting people in a great, historic setting! You’ll walk where Marco Polo walked after being in China!

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest.

and loved your photos,,,Terry,,,always appreciate them and the advice you give when asked..

also,found a good website that gave lots of infor..http://www.veniceforvisitors.com....

my favorite Venice moment was "finding" a fantastic brooch for what I thought was a steal for $30.00 ,,,of course,,,when converted from liras,,at the time,,,,it was $300.00 ...still loved it..

then taking vaporetto to Murano,and Burano,,,finding great lace products,,all handmade,,,having great lunches,,looking at colorful,scenic houses,,,also taking gondola and enjoying the off key,but loud,,voice of operator...would go back in a minute....

Have been there 2 times and always love it...plus half scottish and Italian,,,so sort of "genetic memory" when in Italy,,,anywhere....:D

• Like 1

and loved your photos,,,Terry,,,always appreciate them and the advice you give when asked..

also,found a good website that gave lots of infor..http://www.veniceforvisitors.com....

THANKS, Alexandra! Good website suggestion. I'm sure most all of us have some great and favorite memories on Venice, why we love this charming and historic town, etc. Here are a few more of my best loved visuals from being in Venice. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From along the Venice waterfront, this picture shows the Doge’s Palace and the Campanile. This bell tower of St Mark's Basilica is 323 feet tall.:

VeniceDogePalTower.jpg

Along the Grand Canal in Venice, you see a variety of watercraft, building and architecture style.:

VeniceAlongGrandCanal.jpg

From the arches at the western end of Piazza San Marco, you see a variety of people and activity, plus Saint Mark’s.:

VeniceArchesSMPlaza.jpg

At water level, this shows a typical smaller canal area with a gondola and various building styles in the heart of Venice.:

VeniceGandolaWaterLevelView.jpg

Inside Saint Mark's Basilica you see this sample of the Byzantine architecture, floors, etc., for this church that was consecrated in 1071.:

VeniceInsideStMarksFloor.jpg

These are the original four horses that are now inside Saint Mark's Basilica. These were outside, but were placed inside to protect these bronze treasures. Copies are now placed outside on the front of this church.:

VeniceStMarks4Horses.jpg

Terry, your pictures are making me wish I were leaving tomorrow. (Actually, we're leaving in two weeks!) I bought a new camera for this trip and can only hope that I come home with pictures half as great as yours.

I've just finished reading City of Falling Angels, too. I feel like I already "know" Venice, though I've never been there. The book painted a great picture of a proud and complex city that is far more than a tourist destination.

Terry, your pictures are making me wish I were leaving tomorrow. (Actually, we're leaving in two weeks!) I bought a new camera for this trip and can only hope that I come home with pictures half as great as yours. I've just finished reading City of Falling Angels, too. I feel like I already "know" Venice, though I've never been there. The book painted a great picture of a proud and complex city that is far more than a tourist destination.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! YES, the complex history of Venice is totally amazing!!! Hollywood could not dream up such an interesting background that this city-state played in the huge role of World history for hundreds of years. Their empire stretched over a large part of the civilized world at that time. It's all true and happened right there.

On picture taking, you can go to this previous posting to pick up some tips, ideas and secrets to improve your photo results.

Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

VENICE DINING

Suggested and Highly Recommended by us from May of 1999:

Taverna La Fenice, Campiello de la Fenice 1938; next to fire-damaged, but re-opened Opera House, wonderful food; if nice, can dine outside.

Restoranti da Raffaele, Calle larga XXII Marzo 2347, phone: 041/523-2317, right along side of canal, wonderful food and great setting; if nice, hopefully can dine outside.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Your pics are beautiful. Was in Venice the beginning of June and regarding the comment about tours, for us this was our last stop on Princess' Grand Med sail and by then we'd seen so many ruins, palaces, churches, etc so we just wandered Venice for three days and loved it. I took a lot of pics while there but none were anywhere near as spectacular as those you've posted. Thanks.

Your pics are beautiful. Was in Venice the beginning of June and regarding the comment about tours, for us this was our last stop on Princess' Grand Med sail and by then we'd seen so many ruins, palaces, churches, etc so we just wandered Venice for three days and loved it. I took a lot of pics while there but none were anywhere near as spectacular as those you've posted. Thanks.

dalgirl: Really loved your photos Terry - we will be in Venice in May and these photos make me wish it were tomorrow. Always enjoy your comments and insights. thanks again.....

THANKS for the nice comments! Glad the photos bring back good memories and get the excitement going about upcoming trips. Appreciate the interest and comments. Feel free to share other comments' date=' tips, questions, etc. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

While walking around in the back streets of Venice, we found this cute shop that makes the famed masks. This wasn't a "tourist shop", but a source for the "real thing".:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...ceMaskShop.jpg

Hi Terry in Ohio, wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing. Do you remember where this mask shop was. I am most interested in getting one of these masks from a non tourist shop when we visit next June.

Ginger

Hi Terry in Ohio, wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing. Do you remember where this mask shop was. I am most interested in getting one of these masks from a non tourist shop when we visit next June. Ginger

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! That mask shop was a place we stumbled upon while taking a long walk to the Academia art museum. It was in an area on the other side of the Grand Canal for the San Marco area that we reached after walking across the Rialto Bridge and then going west in circling around to that famed museum. That's the fun of Venice!!! Just walking around and seeing what you discover. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Have you read Miss Garnet's Angel, by Sally Vickers?...a tired teacher follows her dream to retire to Venice.

Sarah Dunant writes historical novels about Renaissance Italy, which are finely crafted....but can be too raunchy for some people.

Jo.

• Thanks 1

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! That mask shop was a place we stumbled upon while taking a long walk to the Academia art museum. It was in an area on the other side of the Grand Canal for the San Marco area that we reached after walking across the Rialto Bridge and then going west in circling around to that famed museum. That's the fun of Venice!!! Just walking around and seeing what you discover. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Wow; absolutely beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for posting. I also like to just wander around Venice. Truely a magical experience.....:):):)

Bob

Beautiful, beautiful photographs, Terry. I've made note of Da Raffaella in particular, and I thank you for suggesting it. Can't wait...never been there before. Ellie

Bob: Wow; absolutely beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for posting. I also like to just wander around Venice. Truely a magical experience.....

THANKS Ellie and Bob for the nice comments on my pictures! Venice is super wonderful and makes you look like a superstar photographer' date=' especially when you've got nice sunshine. Hope things work out for dining at Da Raffaella. "MAGICAL" is a great way to describe Venice. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are on an upcoming trip to Venice thought I should share this link so as not to be too disappointed with not seeing some attractions in Venice with the billboards the mayor has put up that covers the Bridge of sighs and parts of St marks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101004/lf_afp/italycultureartadvertisemuseumsveniceoffbeat

Edited by 123456con

Thank you for the wonderful photos. We have just returned from our cruise and Venice was my favourite port. I have been there 3 times before and each time I love it more. This time I got to take our two daughters who got to experience the magic of Venice. The first day the ship was docked it was cool and wet but it did not deter us. The second day the weather was perfect. Of course being a Sunday this good weather attracted hordes of people and by the time we left the Piazza St. Marco was packed full of people.

My mother grew up in a town about 1/2 hour train from Venice but she only visited twice before emigrating to Australia.

I do wish though that we could have spent more time in Venice on the cruise. Two full days would have been ideal.

TLCOhio, Excellent pictures, thanks for posting.

Being in love with The City of Venice, I admire your photos.

graceinmelbourne: Thank you for the wonderful photos. We have just returned from our cruise and Venice was my favourite port. I have been there 3 times before and each time I love it more.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures about one of our all-time most favorite cities. Lots to see and love in Venice! Interesting news story on the use of advertising to gain revenue in order to fix and repair many of the challenged buildings in Venice. All of that time' date=' wear, water, etc., takes its toll on these historic structures. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.