Aarthus, Denmark and Kristiansand Norway

Do any of you experts out there have any suggestions for these two ports of call?

Thanks in advance,

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Like you we are planning for our Baltic cruise, so haven't been there but have found some places of interest I can share with you.

Den Gamle By ( historical open air museum). 1600-present time. Just google it for info.

Stroget...Pedestrian shopping area from Central Station to the Cathedral.

Beyond the Cathedral is the 'Latin Quarter'.

Occupation Museum (war time occupation) www.besaettelsesmuseet.dk

Good luck, enjoy your trip!

Sue

• 3 months later...

Port of Kristiansand has the best location ever. 20 meters from the consert hall, and a 5 minutes easy walk to the city center. On your way to the city you walk via the fish marked. If you dont like walking - the city train is located in the port. My recomandation on this portcall is to take a morning tour of your interest - and use the afternoon to discover the city on your own.

2 hrs is what you need for a nice walkaround.

Aarhus--I'm planning for this port for June 2013. Rick Steves 2012 edition Scandinavia has a really good section on Aarhus. He also tells that there is no longer a physical tourist information center. The on-line TI cite is excellent. http://www.visitaarhus.com/international/en-gb/menu/turist/aarhus.htm

I need to find out how to get from place to place to maximize use of time.

We arrive at noon and depart at 7:00 pm. We will go to Aros first and have lunch at their restaurant on the top floor. http://en.aros.dk/; then Den Gamla By; and walk back to the cruise terminal along the pedestrian street and stop at will. That should take us in a loop. I would like to see the small Viking museum but it closes at 4:00 pm on the day we are there so I'm not sure how that will fit unless we go there first.

Just returned from Kristansand. Very helpful tour guide just as we diembarked from the ship she had a map of a walking tour around the town, very pretty and a good overview. Look out for the sand sculptures.

Just returned from Kristansand. Very helpful tour guide just as we diembarked from the ship she had a map of a walking tour around the town, very pretty and a good overview. Look out for the sand sculptures.

Thanks for the information about the walking tour. How many sand sculptures are there? I only see photos online from 2011 but understand that this is an annual event in Kristansand. Hopefully the sand sculptures will still be there in August when we are there.

Arriving in Kristiansand you will find the local cruise network, Cruise Sørlandet (http://www.cruisesorlandet.com) on the pier. We will be able to give you information about local attractions (the zoo and amusement park, the canon museum, the art museum, the open air museum etc), opening hours and how to get there. We have maps as well as brochures that you can bring. The sand sculptures are there for several weeks and located just as you walk out of the port. There are an attraction shuttle available at the pier with several departures during the day. No specific organized tours can be booked, but most attractions can be reached by public bus or the attraction shuttle. For more pictures from Kristiansand you can also visit our facebookpage on this link http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cruise-Sorlandet/314521435263285

We look forwards to welcoming you in Kristiansand :)

Archived