Ballroom dancing on Fred Olsen ships?

Dancersinstroud

There are daily opportunities for dancing, but I would only describe the space as adequate for simple social dancing.

If you aspire to anything more 'flamboyant' you will undoubtedly find the space rather limiting.

The ships are not large so there really isn't room for anything more expansive.

We are ballroom dancers and have never yet been on a Fred Olsen cruise. Can anyone tell us about whether there is good provision on their ships for ballroom dancing (ie its frequency and adequate space on the ships)? Thank you:)

I believe that Cunard ships have the largest dance floors afloat although we have not cruised Cunard. We have always managed to do a bit of dancing on all the cruise lines we have been on and have found P&O, Costa and FO to have the best provision.

We went on Balmoral in November (our 1st FO cruise) and we were impressed by the amount of ballroom/latin music played in the show lounge. There was at least 45 minutes worth before the first show and more after the show. The dance floor is adequate but not large. There were ‘dance hosts’ (3 gentlemen and 1 lady) who would dance with those people without a partner and they also lead the sequence dances. Unfortunately, I now have mobility problems so was not able to do much dancing. I just wish we had found FO when I could dance the night away.

Although not a ballroom dancer myself I have noticed that on ALL FO ships there is ballroom dancing before the first show in the Neptune Lounge and then between that and the second show. When the show starts the keen ballroom dancers together with dance hosts disappear at lightening speed to the Lido Lounge, (Coral Club on Braemar), to continue their dancing. After the late show, ballroom dancing begins again - usually with a live band. Although the dance floors are not large they are adequate for the number of people who wish to use them. We like to watch after dinner and before the show time starts.

Hi.

There is plenty of dancing but like most Ships space is limited.

We Dance every week, so we limit our repertoire to the available space.

There are often "learner" dancers on the floor from the lessons through the day, so dance etiquette often is in short supply if you dance regularly.

I am not grumbling about the learners just commenting.

We have cruised with FO three times and danced every night.

Have a great time.

• 4 months later...

I agree with comments already given, We have always managed to do some kind of dancing on Fo better than any other cruise line although to be fair have not done PO.

The floors are better sized for sequence dancing, but even then there is limited room. just have to take smaller steps.

:):):)

Archived