Visa for Turkey?

hockey4life

We are booked on the Greek Isles cruise on Quest leaving June 21, and it's unclear to me whether we should get the $20 on-line visas for the stop in Ephesus -- even if they are not required, is there any benefit to having them? Thanks for any thoughts!

I got one last year on-line for our stop in Ephesus for all in our party.

No one ever asked for it.

Maybe you don't need it if arriving by cruise ship?

I'd contact your cruise line and see what they think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not required for a day trip off a cruise ship.

Turkey, with all its wonders, is quickly deteriorating into a police state and one which is on an increasingly inimical relationship with America. Be very careful.

We have visited Kusadasi every year, sometimes twice a year, on cruises and have never felt unsafe. We have become friends with many shopkeepers and they have always gone out their way to make us feel very welcome. One guy always insists on buying us lunch. They are lovely people but sadly they are suffering because cruise ships aren't stopping there. Istanbul, on the other hand, is a different story. I didn't feel safe there at all.

We have visited Kusadasi every year, sometimes twice a year, on cruises and have never felt unsafe. We have become friends with many shopkeepers and they have always gone out their way to make us feel very welcome. One guy always insists on buying us lunch. They are lovely people but sadly they are suffering because cruise ships aren't stopping there. Istanbul, on the other hand, is a different story. I didn't feel safe there at all.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I was able to confirm with Azamara that we do not need visas, and also that there are currently no plans to remove Kusadasi from the itinerary. I am relieved to hear you did not have any safety concerns while there, as I am very much looking forward to this stop. Thanks again!

Same here Liz. Been to Kusadasi a number of times recently too and never felt unsafe. The Turkish people I have always found very welcoming and honest.

We also like Kusadasi. The shopkeepers must be hurting since so many cruise ships have stopped coming to this very interesting place. Bartering is fun and you will certainly find a 'bargain'. Ephesus is wonderful of course. We have also enjoyed a couple of Turkish Baths !

• 2 weeks later...

Today the issue with security in Turkey is NOT "terrorism" or crime, it is more related to official harassment by the government. Always felt "safe" walking the streets of Sultanahmet and other areas of Istanbul, and other cities and towns, as well, including Kusadasi. Erdogan has been quickly turning Turkey into a totalitarian state with few to no civil rights. Today's formal protest over treatment of Erdogan's bodyguards just another indicator of declining security for western, especially American, tourists in country. I would expect a US State Department travel warning soon.