Paddleboard

jilly08

Hi Jill,

We have done a paddle board on a lake in the Seattle area. It was really fun. We are in our early 50's. We did fall in the water here or there but

it was easy to get back on. It requires some balance, but we got the hang of it pretty fast.

We have a paddle board tour booked in Moorea on Feb. 5, and I am very excited to try it in the islands. There really wasn't waves coming at us in Seattle, so I am not sure how that will play in. Looks like you can sit on this one and paddle also, so you don't have to stand.

I think you have to go with the idea that you will get wet. :D

Hi Jill. I'll be honest I was quite nervous before my first paddle boarding lesson :o but my fears were unwarranted as I managed to get to the end of my 1 hour lesson without falling into the harbor once. I thought I'd spend more time in the water than on my board.

To be honest, the hardest part is transitioning from your knees to standing up (there's no pressure to stand up) without falling in, however when you rent a paddleboard your instructor or sales assistant should give you a few tips on technique which will give you a greater chance of staying dry. As an example, a lot of people lean over and move too slowly and as a result fall in as their center of gravity isn't balanced. Instead put one foot where one of your hands was and carefully stand up making sure to keep your back straight and to resist the urge to hunch over.

Once your standing up your legs may shake a little (apparently this is a natural reaction). If this happens make sure not to lock your knees and within a minute or two paddle boarding will become a more relaxing, pleasant experience. ;) Have fun! :D If you fall in it doesn't matter as long as you get back on your board again. By the way I found that the view you get from paddle boarding is even better than the view you'd get from kayaking.

Edited by kiwigirl12

Hi Jill. I'll be honest I was quite nervous before my first paddle boarding lesson :o but my fears were unwarranted as I managed to get to the end of my 1 hour lesson without falling into the harbor once. I thought I'd spend more time in the water than on my board.

To be honest, the hardest part is transitioning from your knees to standing up (there's no pressure to stand up) without falling in, however when you rent a paddleboard your instructor or sales assistant should give you a few tips on technique which will give you a greater chance of staying dry. As an example, a lot of people lean over and move too slowly and as a result fall in as their center of gravity isn't balanced. Instead put one foot where one of your hands was and carefully stand up making sure to keep your back straight and to resist the urge to hunch over.

Once your standing up your legs may shake a little (apparently this is a natural reaction). If this happens make sure not to lock your knees and within a minute or two paddle boarding will become a more relaxing, pleasant experience. ;) Have fun! :D If you fall in it doesn't matter as long as you get back on your board again. By the way I found that the view you get from paddle boarding is even better than the view you'd get from kayaking.

Thank you! I am really looking forward to trying it. Honestly, the thing that worries me the most is having to get back on the board if I fall in. I'm thinking that may not be a thing of beauty. LOL But it won't stop me from trying this.

Jill

Thank you! I am really looking forward to trying it. Honestly, the thing that worries me the most is having to get back on the board if I fall in. I'm thinking that may not be a thing of beauty. LOL But it won't stop me from trying this.

Jill

That's the spirit! :D By the way, your fear of falling off and having to haul yourself back on might actually work in your favor. My instructor asked us if we'd like to try standing up for the first time near an area where at least 20 construction workers who were building a new apartment complex were eating lunch. They all made a lot of noise (apparently it was encouragement but I tuned them out and focused) and so I was determined not to fall off and have to haul myself back onto my board in front of an audience. :p I could imagine them betting if I or my father would fall in ha ha.

That's the spirit! :D By the way, your fear of falling off and having to haul yourself back on might actually work in your favor. My instructor asked us if we'd like to try standing up for the first time near an area where at least 20 construction workers who were building a new apartment complex were eating lunch. They all made a lot of noise (apparently it was encouragement but I tuned them out and focused) and so I was determined not to fall off and have to haul myself back onto my board in front of an audience. :p I could imagine them betting if I or my father would fall in ha ha.

Good one kiwigirl! Nothing like a little motivation to keep you 'upright'. LOL

I do have nightmares thinking about trying to haul myself up onto a wave runner, in deep water, a few years ago but that was before rotator cuff surgery. So hopefully, I have more arm strength now.

Jill

Good one kiwigirl! Nothing like a little motivation to keep you 'upright'. LOL

I do have nightmares thinking about trying to haul myself up onto a wave runner, in deep water, a few years ago but that was before rotator cuff surgery. So hopefully, I have more arm strength now.

Jill

Oooh that must've of been a frightening experience. :eek: I'm sure you won't have such a nerve wracking experience with paddle boarding :), if you do feel a tad tired after climbing back on, just rest on your knees for awhile before trying to stand up again. Also remember, that you won't have to climb as high, you could almost just reach an arm out over to the other side of your paddleboard and slide yourself on.

Oooh that must've of been a frightening experience. :eek: I'm sure you won't have such a nerve wracking experience with paddle boarding :), if you do feel a tad tired after climbing back on, just rest on your knees for awhile before trying to stand up again. Also remember, that you won't have to climb as high, you could almost just reach an arm out over to the other side of your paddleboard and slide yourself on.

That is true. I'm sure the paddle board is easier......Thanks Kiwigirl!