Quantum NY Arrival

I just saw the article on Cruise Critic news regarding the Bayonne Bridge being raised to accommodate for the Quantum. Is the Quantum not going to sail under the Verrazanno? Is it going to travel via the Arthur Kill?

On the recent technology reveal Richard Fain stated that the smoke stacks would be lowered to fit under the Verrazano Narrows bridge.

On the recent technology reveal Richard Fain stated that the smoke stacks would be lowered to fit under the Verrazano Narrows bridge.

I saw that as well. Very confused. Perhaps Cruise Critic made a mistake in referencing why the Bayonne Bridge was being raised.

And the golden gate. Makes me wonder if one of the ships is coming to San Francisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just saw the article on Cruise Critic news regarding the Bayonne Bridge being raised to accommodate for the Quantum. Is the Quantum not going to sail under the Verrazanno? Is it going to travel via the Arthur Kill?

The Bayonne Bridge was raised to allow for larger cargo ships to enter the area since many yards up to this point have been unacceptable. No passenger vessels would have a reason to pass under it at this point.

The Bayonne Bridge was raised to allow for larger cargo ships to enter the area since many yards up to this point have been unacceptable. No passenger vessels would have a reason to pass under it at this point.

So then a mistake in the Cruise Critic news article.

The port's location does not necessitate the ship going under the Bayonne Bridge, which will not even be close to being finished by the time she sails in. I have no idea what they are thinking with that one!

The Arthur Kill is a tidal strait separating Staten Island, New York City from mainland New Jersey, USA, and a major navigational channel of the Port of New York and New Jersey. Arthur Kill has also been known as Staten Island Sound.

The channel is dredged periodically to a depth of 35–37 feet (11 m) and a width of 600 feet (183 m) to maintain its usefulness for commercial ship passage.

It is spanned by the Goethals Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing, as well as by the Arthur Kill Vertical Lift Bridge, a railroad bridge and the largest bridge of its type in the United States.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Kill

The QofS is 136 feet (41 meters) wide with a draft of 28 feet (8.5 meters).

No mention of the Bayonne Bridge

Edited by derf5585

So, Emmy, if I can roust my butt out of bed in time, I will go to said site, and wear a pink boa in your honor! I will post the selfie on our roll call!

That would be awesome! Here I am at that location

15298107602_57228bfc67_z.jpg

and behind me the location of the NYHarbor Webcam

15111815940_e6a8616e17.jpg

The Arthur Kill is a tidal strait separating Staten Island, New York City from mainland New Jersey, USA, and a major navigational channel of the Port of New York and New Jersey. Arthur Kill has also been known as Staten Island Sound.

The channel is dredged periodically to a depth of 35–37 feet (11 m) and a width of 600 feet (183 m) to maintain its usefulness for commercial ship passage.

It is spanned by the Goethals Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing, as well as by the Arthur Kill Vertical Lift Bridge, a railroad bridge and the largest bridge of its type in the United States.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Kill

The QofS is 136 feet (41 meters) wide with a draft of 28 feet (8.5 meters).

No mention of the Bayonne Bridge

Least clearance of bridges 135 ft

I can't seem to find the height of the ship

• 1 month later...