Juneau

squeeky336

Instead of asking what WE did, look over your ship's excursion list and see what appeals to YOU. Choose a few options then post again for feedback on those choices or ask for independent vendors who can provide the same experience.

I would also encourage you to look at the trip reports (STICKY above). There are many detailed photojournals that will help you 'experience' the various excursions. The first line of the report indicates the ship, date, itinerary so its easy to find a similar sailing to yours.

Definitely look at all the options and see what appeals.

I spent a lot of time researching whale watching excursions, only to find that my husband had zero interest in that. :)

We did the Taku lodge glacier flight and feast. We also took the blue bus to Mendenhall and walked to the falls and back. We did both on the same day.

Our second time we decided to hike up Mt. Roberts (it was challenging!) and then took the tram back down. That was fun. We then walked around the town for a bit and did some shopping at the Glacier Smoothie store (lovely soaps and such).

Have you read any guide books on Alaska ports of call? They will describe what there is to do in each port and you can go from there.

Have you read any guide books on Alaska ports of call? They will describe what there is to do in each port and you can go from there.

There are a couple of books specific to Alaska cruises. Buy or borrow from your library; Ann Viponds 'Alaska by cruiseship' or Fodors 'Alaska ports of call'.

Both books discuss itineraries, ports, excursions, activities and DIY options.

Both Fodor's and Frommer's Alaska, have Ports of Call books. Very good references with easy concise reading. :)

Take a look at ALL the options, rather, than just selecting the popular tours that other's claim must dos. :) You can have a great time, just walking past the "downtown" shopping area, and run into some very interesting Juneau sites as example- with the beauty of being steps away from the masses, as an example. :) Plenty more to consider as well.

I spent a lot of time researching whale watching excursions, only to find that my husband had zero interest in that. :)

So what did you discover on whale watches? I think that would be what would be most appealing to my wife and I...

So what did you discover on whale watches? I think that would be what would be most appealing to my wife and I...

I honestly don't remember. It was two years ago and since I didn't need the information, my wee brain didn't retain it. :)

Search around the boards. Lots of people go whale watching so you can probably find some good suggestions. Budget Queen usually has great recommendations.

Whale watching tours are very successful in Juneau and Icy Strait Point.

Apply common sense to your research ..... look at the size of the boat, the number of passengers it carries, length of tour, and hopefully look at photos of the boat to see if there are lots of windows & outdoor viewing areas and covered viewing areas, and a head if needed. I you have mobility issues ask about getting onto the boat.

If you look thru last summers trip reports (STICKY above) you'll find the names of popular vendors.

Edited by mapleleaves

Out of Juneau, humpbacks are seen 100% of the time. Consistent viewing stats over many years.

There is a wide range of boats as mentioned. So could be a place to start with your preference, if you want to do any whale watching.

Whale watching tours are very successful in Juneau and Icy Strait Point.

Apply common sense to your research ..... look at the size of the boat, the number of passengers it carries, length of tour, and hopefully look at photos of the boat to see if there are lots of windows & outdoor viewing areas and covered viewing areas, and a head if needed. I you have mobility issues ask about getting onto the boat.

If you look thru last summers trip reports (STICKY above) you'll find the names of popular vendors.

I booked a whlate watch in Juneau.. a boat that has only 10 ppl. It was slightly more than the common 40 ppl whale watch boats and a lot longer.. I talked to the owner who is a retired captain of 40 plus years.. as well as his son in law who is the captain now.. Ther is a difference in boat tours.. So I I paid just a little more. a cheap whale watch runs 5 trips a day would give you all of 15 minutes i thr whale viewing area, on a 2 hour tour. It takes 45 minute to get to the viewing area one way and back.. With 40 or more ppl on the boat. It is also good to look around on the Visit Juneau website and tourist guild to find small family operators.. they g the extra mile for your business. and have the inside scope as they are locals.

the tour i picked only runs 2 trips a day for 4 and half hours. He also drops ff at Mendenhall and can stay as long a i like.. I was going to also do Mt Roberts and the Red Onion Saloon..

I am on 2 cruises..the first gives me a 11 hour day in Juneau.. the other does only half day because it does Sawyer Glacier also.. I was thiking of doing shopping on this short day in Juneau.

I booked a whlate watch in Juneau.. a boat that has only 10 ppl. It was slightly more than the common 40 ppl whale watch boats and a lot longer.. I talked to the owner who is a retired captain of 40 plus years.. as well as his son in law who is the captain now.. Ther is a difference in boat tours.. So I I paid just a little more. a cheap whale watch runs 5 trips a day would give you all of 15 minutes i thr whale viewing area, on a 2 hour tour. It takes 45 minute to get to the viewing area one way and back.. With 40 or more ppl on the boat. It is also good to look around on the Visit Juneau website and tourist guild to find small family operators.. they g the extra mile for your business. and have the inside scope as they are locals.

the tour i picked only runs 2 trips a day for 4 and half hours. He also drops ff at Mendenhall and can stay as long a i like.. I was going to also do Mt Roberts and the Red Onion Saloon..

I am on 2 cruises..the first gives me a 11 hour day in Juneau.. the other does only half day because it does Sawyer Glacier also.. I was thiking of doing shopping on this short day in Juneau.

You are on the millennium right before us!

You are on the millennium right before us!

this is the website for the whale watch tour i booked. They limit the number of passengers to 10 I think and give a good long tour.. You can call and talk to the captain directly.. I was impressed and looking forward to it

http://www.whalewatchingjuneau.com/