pre-cruise London package - transfer questions

kac0426

I'm considering booking a 2-night pre-cruise package in London through Cunard. The package says it includes 2 nights at a London hotel and all transfers (airport to hotel, hotel to cruise port, etc.) I can't find any specific information on the transfers, though. Does it matter what airport you fy into? Gatwick versus Heathrow? Does it matter what time your flight arrives? For example, if our flight lands in Gatwick at 11:30 pm, would a Cunard rep be there to pick us up to take us to our hotel, or are there only certain times they do the transfers? I'd be curious to know if anyone has done this pre-cruise package and how smooth things went for them.

I'm considering booking a 2-night pre-cruise package in London through Cunard. The package says it includes 2 nights at a London hotel and all transfers (airport to hotel, hotel to cruise port, etc.) I can't find any specific information on the transfers, though. Does it matter what airport you fy into? Gatwick versus Heathrow? Does it matter what time your flight arrives? For example, if our flight lands in Gatwick at 11:30 pm, would a Cunard rep be there to pick us up to take us to our hotel, or are there only certain times they do the transfers? I'd be curious to know if anyone has done this pre-cruise package and how smooth things went for them.

We have done a pre-voyage package twice, once in London and once in New York. In London, we landed in Heathrow (so I can't comment on Gatwick arrivals) and there was a Cunard representative waiting (they have a sign with the Cunard emblem rather than the specific passenger name). I will add that our arrival was delayed a day due to weather in Chicago, but by keeping Cunard updated on the situation and our eventual flight, they were able to adjust perfectly! Additionally, we were delayed getting through baggage claim due to a missing bag, and despite our fears the rep was still there waiting for us. I suspect that if there are multiple passengers arriving on a given day, that the rep is stationed at the airport pretty much all day. Unless things have changed, the Cunard representative will not transport you to the hotel themselves, but will arrange transport with a contracted service. In both cases, we had towncar-type transportation for just us, but I assume if there were multiple passenger they would arrange something larger for all. When you check in at the hotel, there will be an envelope for you containing the details of your transportation arrangements, and when and where to meet in the hotel on embarkation morning. Transportation from the hotel to the ship is generally a motorcoach arrangement.

The hotel prices for the packages may seem steep, but for a worry-free way to start of your holiday it can be worth it. (The one time that I took it upon myself to get from London to Southampton, I was caught completely unawares by Bank-holiday Monday. The train station was packed and I stood in line for ages to get our tickets because the ticket machines only worked with chip cards. Don't need that kind of stress when I'm on vacation!)

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. And be sure to report back on the highlights.

We have done a pre-voyage package twice, once in London and once in New York. In London, we landed in Heathrow (so I can't comment on Gatwick arrivals) and there was a Cunard representative waiting (they have a sign with the Cunard emblem rather than the specific passenger name). I will add that our arrival was delayed a day due to weather in Chicago, but by keeping Cunard updated on the situation and our eventual flight, they were able to adjust perfectly! Additionally, we were delayed getting through baggage claim due to a missing bag, and despite our fears the rep was still there waiting for us. I suspect that if there are multiple passengers arriving on a given day, that the rep is stationed at the airport pretty much all day. Unless things have changed, the Cunard representative will not transport you to the hotel themselves, but will arrange transport with a contracted service. In both cases, we had towncar-type transportation for just us, but I assume if there were multiple passenger they would arrange something larger for all. When you check in at the hotel, there will be an envelope for you containing the details of your transportation arrangements, and when and where to meet in the hotel on embarkation morning. Transportation from the hotel to the ship is generally a motorcoach arrangement.

The hotel prices for the packages may seem steep, but for a worry-free way to start of your holiday it can be worth it. (The one time that I took it upon myself to get from London to Southampton, I was caught completely unawares by Bank-holiday Monday. The train station was packed and I stood in line for ages to get our tickets because the ticket machines only worked with chip cards. Don't need that kind of stress when I'm on vacation!)

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will enjoy your trip. And be sure to report back on the highlights.

Thank you! This is super helpful. I assume that at some point prior to your arrival in London, you provided Cunard with your flight details? I wish the Cunard website included more info about transfer options. My fear is that if I book a flight to Gatwick that lands at 11:00 pm, Cunard might later tell me that they don't offer the transfer at that airport/time. You hit the nail on the head about starting the vacation off stress-free. As someone with zero sense of direction, paying a little extra to have someone navigate for me will be worth it.

Kac0426,

If you choose to handle your own transportation. Consider booking with Smiths.

This is a wonderful car service we used several times for pick-ups from our London hotel to Southampton and Southampton to LHR.

They are reliable, professional and well-priced. I had read excellent reviews about them both on Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor.

http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

Jonathan

Kac0426,

This is a wonderful car service we used several times for pick-ups from our London hotel to Southampton and Southampton to LHR.

They are reliable, professional and well-priced. I had read excellent reviews about them both on Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor.

Jonathan

Thanks for this helpful information.

Kac0426,

Jonathan

Thank you for this recommendation. I assume their prices are competitive?

I know it would be cheaper to arrange my own transportation from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the Southampton cruise port. I am just so afraid of getting to London and feeling lost on where to go and how to arrange transportation. I love to travel but I have a bit of travel anxiety, so anything I can do ahead of time to make things easier on myself when I get there, I try to do that. That's why I thought the pre-cruise package with Cunard might be the best route. If I can find a way to arrange transportation on my own that's relatively easy to understand and less expensive, I may still consider that option.

Smiths is terrific. As soon as you land and you're in the terminal you will get a text from your driver telling you where he is, usually by the baggage claim.

We stayed in a marvelous hotel in the Marylebone area of London called the Landmark London. Gorgeous hotel, great area.

Call smiths and book with them, they will put you at ease. Go to tripadvisor there are hundreds of hotels in every price range. But, the Landmark is probably cheaper than what Cunard was charging for a hotel.

Good Luck.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Thank you! This is super helpful. I assume that at some point prior to your arrival in London, you provided Cunard with your flight details? I wish the Cunard website included more info about transfer options. My fear is that if I book a flight to Gatwick that lands at 11:00 pm, Cunard might later tell me that they don't offer the transfer at that airport/time. You hit the nail on the head about starting the vacation off stress-free. As someone with zero sense of direction, paying a little extra to have someone navigate for me will be worth it.

Yes, we did update Cunard once we know what flight we were likely to be on. If you have a phone and can activate international service during your time in London it is a definite plus, as Cunard will have a way to contact you and vice versa.

I'm fairly certain that Cunard contracts with third-party taxi/car-service companies at the various airports, and at large international airports such as Heathrow and Gatwick these should be available around the clock. For 100% certainty, Cunard should be able to tell you if and when transfers are available from Gatwick, even if you don't have specific flight information yet.

There is also the option of the Gatwick Express (convenient service into Victoria station) if want to stay with the Cunard hotel-to-ship transfer but get to the hotel on your own. Gatwick Express (and the Heathrow express) are mainly good only if everyone in your party can handle their own luggage without extra luggage carts.

- Andy

kac0426,

Have you considered using Cunard Air? We used it for the first time recently and were pleasantly surprised by the cost. We were met at Heathrow by Smiths and enjoyed a carefree time watching the countryside go by. They service Gatwick as well. If you have budgeted for Cunard's Complete Care that would also be a plan to give you peace of mind. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

For the pre-cruise London package, the Cunard website says this is available for "scheduled air only." What does "scheduled air" mean? Does that mean I have to use Cunard air, or does it just mean my flight must be scheduled ahead of time (obviously) so Cunard knows when/where to pick us up at the airport?