Airfare in Feb %*@!!!$$%@

star10

What is going on? I've always travelled the same week in Feb (President's Week)... I know that airfare is a bit more expensive this week... but I can't find any decent flight for under $450!!!

I've paid $320 at the most... or under. I keep checking everyday and it's the same.

I've tried different airports too. I'm in the vicinity of Phili, Newark, Atlatic City...

I'm getting nervous as by now I usually have the airfare booked. I have a family of 5, so I try my best to get the best rate.

Anyone else having trouble finding affordable airfare??

BTW, my husband and I are cruising Nov 2... the airfare is $151 RT!! How can they increase it so much!! ??:mad:

Sometimes the demand gets so high, the prices go with them. When I booked my upcoming cruise, the Princess airfare was cheaper than anything I could find on line. But I waited it out to see what Southwest would be when they opened up that time slot. And I got lucky and saved a couple of hundred on each airfare. Two weeks later, and Princess was the same price. One month later, Princess is now a bargain!

Did you try flying in a day early? Sometimes changing just one day can make a significant price change.:cool:

I know you're upset, but this isn't the forum for this post. There is a forum called Cruise Air which is dedicated to question related to air travel & cruising.

It seems as of late there have been a rash of posts written on the Carnival forum that have absoutely nothing to do with Carnival. I like to visit the forum to read reviews, etc.. If I wish to know more about a port of call, I go to the appropriate forum.

Please, lets all be more aware of the subject of our post and place it in the appropriate forum.

My cruise is that week too- I have been looking for airfare for many months and yes it is high. Even airtran and southwest is high for that particular week.

I did find an awesome sale... I check every day. I got one way tickets for about 120 cheaper then buying the round trip.

I found going cost me under 100pp and coming home I got first class seats for 15.00pp more then the going rate of coach for 300pp.

This is out of PHL airport. going down is airtran. coming back is USAir.

Check individual airsites for prices. Check daily. Weekends shoul;d be higher with tuesday and wednesday being the cheapest.

Avoid places like expedia since they will charge you an extra 15.00 for booking. Places like this will only show you some availablity but going to the airlines site will show you ALL availablity.

Consider the day before and early morning the day after the cruise.

I didnt want to wait no more since a lot of flights were selling out.. the good ones in the early aftrernoon.

Try looking at airfare around midnight, or on the weekends. But def try different times of the day. I know with my upcoming cruise the range was between 300 and 400 rt from Chicago to Miami. However, my parents advised me to wait and try going online late at night or on a weekend. Well on a Sunday night around 9ish, I went on and found the best deal in the world. $160 rt. I was floored. I booked right away, and I checked the next morning, it had gone back to $400. Best of luck.

I don't think I'll ever book another cruise at this time. Like you, I did it back in August. I waited for the flight schedule to open up ( i fly SWA). I booked only 3 hours after it opened, and had major problems. Lucky for me, I had 6 one-way rapid rewards vouchers, because i am still paying over $700 for 4 of the 5 of us to go one-way! Cruising with friends. They had sooo0 much trouble finding flights, and didn't want to drive. They are taking the train! It's insane!

Thank you for all the great advice! I sure hope I luck out and find something reasonable!

And I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. I do visit the Ports of Call and Roll Call forums... I was unaware of a Cruise Air forum.

I'll take a look now.:o

Thank you for all the great advice! I sure hope I luck out and find something reasonable!

And I'm sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. I do visit the Ports of Call and Roll Call forums... I was unaware of a Cruise Air forum.

I'll take a look now.:o

don't worry about it. some people think they own the boards.

give www.kayak.com or www.sidestep.com a try

don't worry about it. some people think they own the boards.

And some people love to make assumptions.

Just wanted to point out that there is a forum for these types of questions. Yes, I took a little liberty to express an opinion but that in no way makes me think I own the board. I believe that as a member I have a responsibility to point others to where their post makes the most sense. Call it self-moderation, if you will.

Hi star, I feel your pain. I got sticker shock this year also with the cost of air. I too have 5 to fly down to the ship in Florida. I try to fly out of the little airport in south jersey but the best price I got was with a major carrier, out of newark. if you want to E-mail me I can tell you more. Alex

This morning, AirTran announced a 2 day sale.

Their sales lately haven't been so hot either... I have been able to find AA flights for cheaper lately, non stop... without having to connect through HELL (ATL for those that don't know :p LOL) I miss the days when the airlines were all competing with SWA, AT and JB... :( The only times I am flying SWA these days is on rewards flights... pricing has just been outrageous compared to some of the other lines. I'd fly Air Tran more if it wasn't for that whole Atlanta thing :p

Call it self-moderation, if you will.

self moderation or moderator-wannabe? 'self moderation' means moderating yourself, not others. your post was quite harsh, considering the OP was fairly new here. the post was clearly titled, so why even click on it?

if you wanted to be helpful, you could've included a link to the proper forum.

self moderation or moderator-wannabe? 'self moderation' means moderating yourself, not others. your post was quite harsh, considering the OP was fairly new here.

if you wanted to be helpful, you could've included a link to the proper forum.

I didn't think it was harsh at all... everyone reads the guidelines and knows there are certain places to post certain things (*well, they SHOULD)... the poster was just pointing this out, to let the OP know this wasn't the right place... since the hosts are probably going to move it and the OP won't know where her post is. Nothing wrong with pointing these things out to newbies... many think this is the only board on the site.

I didn't think it was harsh at all... everyone reads the guidelines and knows there are certain places to post certain things (*well, they SHOULD)... the poster was just pointing this out, to let the OP know this wasn't the right place... since the hosts are probably going to move it and the OP won't know where her post is. Nothing wrong with pointing these things out to newbies... many think this is the only board on the site.

nothing wrong at all with pointing things out to the new posters. embarrassing them isn't the best way. obviously the OP was embarrassed because they used the ' :o '.

What is going on? I've always travelled the same week in Feb (President's Week)... I know that airfare is a bit more expensive this week... but I can't find any decent flight for under $450!!!

I've paid $320 at the most... or under. I keep checking everyday and it's the same.

I've tried different airports too. I'm in the vicinity of Phili, Newark, Atlatic City...

I'm getting nervous as by now I usually have the airfare booked. I have a family of 5, so I try my best to get the best rate.

Anyone else having trouble finding affordable airfare??

South Florida is experiencing record tourism and hotel occupancy is at an all time high. You are also going the busiest week of peak tourist season.

On TOP of all that, the Miami International Boat Show is that weekend and that brings an additional 150,000+ people to Miami.

In a nutshell, you picked the busiest week of the year to travel to South Florida.

Hi star, I feel your pain. I got sticker shock this year also with the cost of air. I too have 5 to fly down to the ship in Florida. I try to fly out of the little airport in south jersey but the best price I got was with a major carrier, out of newark. if you want to E-mail me I can tell you more. Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the offer... I tried emailing you with your aol account (at least what I think is your aol account) and it gets returned to me.

Where can I find your email address?

nothing wrong at all with pointing things out to the new posters. embarrassing them isn't the best way. obviously the OP was embarrassed because they used the ' :o '.

Well, I guess that proves that you're right and I'm wrong. I'm certainly glad that you took time to actually read my post. Let me help you out, if I may.

My original post:

I know you're upset, but this isn't the forum for this post. There is a forum called Cruise Air which is dedicated to question related to air travel & cruising.

Just where in this statement am I embarassing the OP or being "harsh" as you put it. I even acknowledged that she was upset.

It seems as of late there have been a rash of posts written on the Carnival forum that have absoutely nothing to do with Carnival. I like to visit the forum to read reviews, etc.. If I wish to know more about a port of call, I go to the appropriate forum.

My OPINION and not directed to the OP. Perhaps I should not have vented, but I did. I'm speaking in very general terms as to hopefully remind others that read & reply to the thread. No, I'm not the board police, but just pointing out that off-topic posts seem to be on the rise.

Please, lets all be more aware of the subject of our post and place it in the appropriate forum.

Again, NOT directed to OP but the to general audience reading and replying to the thread. The only comment directed to the OP was the first statement which was anything but harsh. I don't know why the OP used the emoticon :o that she did.

If you're going to start commenting and interpreting another poster's words, then you had better get your facts straight first.

It is sometimes possible to save money by flying into Orlando & renting a car for the 3-hr drive to FLL. The rental companies usually offer free shuttle to & from the pier.

Of course, that time of year, it's expensive to fly anywhere in FL!!

Good luck!

If you are cruising out of Miami, try looking into flights to Ft. Lauderdale. It is cheaper than Miami. We are sailing out of Port Canaveral and it is cheaper for us to fly from Boston to Tampa than to Orlando. Sure, it is a little longer drive, but the cost of the rental car is so much cheaper than we would pay to fly into Orlando! Others in our group are also having a hard time finding flights in April. They were waiting for Southwest (which has not even come up yet for April) but does not look like they will be getting a bargain. Good luck!!

Archived