Hawaiian Style Mopeds and Scooters Rental - Honolulu

RUDIMAY1

I did all of that at 17 and was fine. There IS a bike lane on Diamond Head Road that mopeds can use.

Sorry that facts get in the way of your opinion, but there is no bike lane on Diamond Head road as it goes around Diamond Head and even if there were a motorized scooter could not legally access it.

Here is a 16 year old who did it and ISN'T fine. My condolences to her family.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20140321_Girl_killed_in_scooter_accident_is_identified.html?id=251470271

AlohaPride try to keep your "Aloha Spirit". Cranky people are not worth it. If we take the mopeds i will take selfie pictures of our happy times. If we crash I'll send the police photos of our fiery crash. I wanted a light-hearted thread but now I wish it would just fade away.

Thanks everyone for all your opinions. I love taking risks and really don't think this was that big of a deal, so if we can fit it in to our schedule we will do it. We will certainly take the traffic seriously as we have been warned. Maybe we will just drink Mai Tais instead just because of the fear factor.

Many thanks, (Mahalo nui lao)? Is that correct? I hope to catch the "Aloha Spirit" myself this Thursday.

Love you all!

I've never seen someone ask a question and then be so resistant to the answer that is verifiable by a couple of Google inquiries, including using Street View.

The lanes on Diamond Head are much wider than normal lanes, therefore bikes ride on the right. Mopeds in Hawaii follow bike laws, not motorcycle and car laws, and are encouraged to be ridden as though you were riding a bike. You don't even need a license to ride a moped here. I understand using a satellite to see Diamond Head Road might not show the width of the lanes very well. As someone who has run the Honolulu Marathon the past few years and as a lifetime resident, I think I know what I'm talking about.

The lanes on Diamond Head are much wider than normal lanes, therefore bikes ride on the right. Mopeds in Hawaii follow bike laws, not motorcycle and car laws, and are encouraged to be ridden as though you were riding a bike. You don't even need a license to ride a moped here. I understand using a satellite to see Diamond Head Road might not show the width of the lanes very well. As someone who has run the Honolulu Marathon the past few years and as a lifetime resident, I think I know what I'm talking about.

I was running the Honolulu Marathon before you were born and was driving home to Kahala along Diamond Head Rd before you were born. Diamond Head Rd just past Senator Inouye's home is extremely narrow and not extra wide. The Google Street View is for the benefit of those who haven't been driving it for 40 years.

How long ago did you move to California? If you were doing all that 31 years ago things have changed. Also, we're bickering about a road (past the Senator's house) that's hardly busy. But, whatever. I've made my point. The OP is free to make their own decision. IMO mopeds are fun when approached with a healthy respect. Here, there, or anywhere.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Edited by AlohaPride

• 1 month later...

Aloha pride thank you for all your correct information. It was an easy safe ride just like you said. I am alive and safe!! It was fun and beautiful.

Aloha pride thank you for all your correct information. It was an easy safe ride just like you said. I am alive and safe!! It was fun and beautiful.

I'm so glad you're alive!! What a relief! LOL Did you take pictures?!?! I'd love to hear all about your trip to my state (especially what you did on the other islands, as I plan on island hopping next year)!

I'm so glad you're alive!! What a relief! LOL Did you take pictures?!?! I'd love to hear all about your trip to my state (especially what you did on the other islands, as I plan on island hopping next year)!

So glad you enjoyed it! I'd love to hear about your trip, too!

I was having battery problems with my camera so used my Ipad a lot. So taking selfies with a Ipad while driving would have been unsafe. And you know how some people worry about me. YIKES!!

We did so much. Two of our highlights were the Kaui Hollywood in Hawaii tour and the Kona Body Glove snorkel.

Waikiki was fun and not as crowded as we read. New York City with palm trees?? No way even though there is Palm trees. Dks steakhouse, Sansei sushi and Dukes were all so tasty.

Circle the island Polyensian Cultural, diamond head and Pearl Harbor were all interesting.

Maui we did Ka'anpali beach, whalers Village and fantastic Old Lahaina Luau.

Waterfalls and volcanos in Hilo.

Thank heavens we had 5 sea days before heading home.

I have been slowly but surely been putting reviews on Tripadvisor. I am still hoping to post a CC review with pictures but too busy working at this point.

Mahalo

Thanks for reporting back, RUDYMAY1.

We plan on doing some Harley touring while on the islands, so was hoping you would report back on your moped experience.

Yes, we know it's a bit of a difference and the risks...LOL

We have lots of experience MCing including crowded city & "unengineered" mountain roads.

AlohaPride is quite correct....we do ride as if invisible and no one sees us, anticipating other drivers moves is part of how motorcycling safely is done!

Any opinion or observations regarding motorcycling in Hawaii, RUDYMAY1?

Edited by silvercrikhix

Thanks for reporting back, RUDYMAY1.

We plan on doing some Harley touring while on the islands, so was hoping you would report back on your moped experience.

Yes, we know it's a bit of a difference and the risks...LOL

We have lots of experience MCing including crowded city & "unengineered" mountain roads.

AlohaPride is quite correct....we do ride as if invisible and no one sees us, anticipating other drivers moves is part of how motorcycling safely is done!

Any opinion or observations regarding motorcycling in Hawaii, RUDYMAY1?

My husband actually taught the motorcycle safety program for the University of Hawaii. BK (before kids :p) we were huge into riding. It may not be popular, but use your helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves, etc. Ride invisible. One law in Hawaii is that you can't split lanes. You can't ride down the side of the lane to the front at a red light or between cars in traffic or down the shoulder. You will get a ticket. Drivers here are idiots. If you assume the worst, you can avoid the worst most of the time ;)

My husband actually taught the motorcycle safety program for the University of Hawaii. BK (before kids :p) we were huge into riding. It may not be popular, but use your helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves, etc. Ride invisible.

One law in Hawaii is that you can't split lanes. You can't ride down the side of the lane to the front at a red light or between cars in traffic or down the shoulder. You will get a ticket. AS WELL THEY SHOULD---WE RIDE SANELY!Drivers here are idiots. Must be a global epidemic...teehee. If you assume the worst, you can avoid the worst most of the time ;)YEPPERS

I see you live in Ewa Beach....We were actually thinking of staying at a vacation rental there post-cruise.

We want 3-4 days of scenery and R & R.

Any insight you can share?

I see you live in Ewa Beach....We were actually thinking of staying at a vacation rental there post-cruise.

We want 3-4 days of scenery and R & R.

Any insight you can share?

Can you tell me a bit more about where EXACTLY in Ewa Beach?? There are great places here and there are shady places here. LOL For instance, I wouldn't recommend any place south of Papipi Road in Ewa Beach. Ocean Pointe, Ewa Gentry, Ka Makana, Waterfront at Pu'uloa are all nice places. Ko'Olina in Kapolei would be a great place to look at for vacation rentals for just a few days. It'll be more expensive, though. :(

Can you tell me a bit more about where EXACTLY in Ewa Beach?? There are great places here and there are shady places here. LOL For instance, I wouldn't recommend any place south of Papipi Road in Ewa Beach. Ocean Pointe, Ewa Gentry, Ka Makana, Waterfront at Pu'uloa are all nice places. Ko'Olina in Kapolei would be a great place to look at for vacation rentals for just a few days. It'll be more expensive, though. :(

Thank you for responding!

I will go back and look for where exactly, they were beach/ocean front.

Definitely don't want shady...LOL

Thank you for responding!

I will go back and look for where exactly, they were beach/ocean front.

Definitely don't want shady...LOL

If it was Waterfront of Pu'uloa I'd recommend it. It's old Navy Housing. The entrance is gated with a guard. The beaches are nice. There is a gym and exercise path. Ewa Beach is notorious for GREAT weather (we hardly ever get any rain).