GCT Romance of the Rhine & Mosel – Trip Review

Sapphire73

GCT Rhine & Mosel – Day 2, Bruges Extension – Ieper (Ypres), Belgium

Afternoon of November 24 (rainy and cold)

The In Flanders Fields Museum is well laid out. The museum had many interesting exhibits presenting different aspects of the war and the people (of various nationalities) who fought here. There is a good gift shop – well worth taking the time to visit.

After seeing the museum, we met up with our local guide for a tour of trenches, battleground and cemeteries. He was very good, but it was dark before the tour was over (since we did this extension just before Thanksgiving). The weather was a bit damp and chilly but this helped me empathize all the more with the soldiers who spent so much time in the trenches during World War 1.

We had a nice dinner as a group in Ypres, and then set off to visit the Menin Gate for the Last Post Ceremony at 8pm where buglers (from the volunteer fire brigade) play in tribute to those who died defending this area in World War 1. Our program director made sure we arrived at the Menin Gate early in the hope of getting a good view. Even in late November there were already lots of people here, including a large group of school children and a film crew.

My husband’s grandfather joined the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force in 1914 and served throughout the war, attached to the No. 2 Field Ambulance.

A World War 1 Cemetery

Ypres%20-%20Cemetery-1782pse%20c%20bw-L.jpg

Last Post Ceremony at Menin Gate

Ypres%20-%20Buglers%20at%20Menin%20Gate-1833c-L.jpg

Edited by Sapphire73

GCT Rhine & Mosel – Day 3, Bruges Extension, Belgium

November 25 (Partly cloudy, high 43˚F)

We had much nicer weather today! We had signed up for an optional tour but GCT cancelled it when three participants decided they didn’t want to go. We were disappointed at first, but it was great to have free time to explore Bruges in much better weather.

Because the optional tour was cancelled, our program director invited us to visit the beer museum with him in the afternoon. This is not normally something I would picture myself doing. Ever. But my husband and I enjoyed it and we had fun sampling some of the beers on tap afterwards.

Our program director also offered to arrange for the group to have dinner together on our last night in Belgium and everyone came. It was a nice way to end our trip before heading home on Thanksgiving Day.

One of the Canals in Bruges - note the dog in the window on the left

Bruges%20-%20Canal%20with%20dog%20in%20window-2237pse%20c-L.jpg

Close Up of that Famous Dog in the Window

Bruges%20-%20dog%20in%20window-2257%20pse%20c-L.jpg

Old Home on a Canal

Bruges%20-%20old%20home-2040%20pse%20c-L.jpg

The Market

Bruges%20-%20Market%20Wednesday-1859c-L.jpg

Another Canal

Bruges%20-%20Canal%202-1917pse%20c-L.jpg

Edited by Sapphire73

GCT Rhine & Mosel – Flight home from Brussels

Morning of November 26 (Partly cloudy, high 43˚F)

We had to leave very early to get to the airport but the Grand Hotel Casselbergh arranged to give us breakfast before we left. We arrived at the airport in plenty of time, and we had a good flight home. British Airways even served us turkey.

One of our sons surprised us by flying in from California for Thanksgivng weekend. So it was fun to walk in the door and have four of our children there, eager to hear about our trip. It was fascinating to listen to my husband tell about our experiences and what he had learned.

We could have flown to Europe and visited all of these places on our own, and I do like traveling that way. But we both appreciated what we learned from our PD Nicolas De Vos, the home visit in Speyer, the impromptu interviews with people during our tours, talking with the other two program directors as well as the places we visited. It gave us a different perspective on the current situation in Europe and aspects of history (both ancient history and more recent) than we could have absorbed on our own in that short amount of time.

Many thanks to those who helped us plan this trip (folks here on Cruise Critic and friends who had traveled with GCT); the great staff on the River Harmony, and Nicolas De Vos (our PD). It was a great trip!

Rahter than post more photos, here is a link to the gallery for those who may have missed it earlier. You can also view the photos as a full screen slideshow,

Edited by Sapphire73

Just coming back to say that if anyone has questions about our trip or any of these ports, feel free to ask. I am relieved to have finished the review (that I started in January!) and won't be posting on this thread again unless someone else revives it to ask a question.

Thank you for posting. I love the photo of the dog. My chocolate lab would do that if she could everyday.:)

I like that her people are decent enough to put a cushion over the window sill, to smooth out the ledge. Hope that doesn't get knocked into the water below too often. :)

And thanks for putting up all the pictures and keeping at your review. Very enjoyable read, I'd like to take this trip at some point.

Edited by ural guy

...I am relieved to have finished the review (that I started in January!)...

Fine wines and good reviews take time. Or is it the other way around? ;)

Either way, enjoyed your review and pictures very much. Bravo!