Less chance of smoking neighbors on a forward balcony?

jlrn366419

I'm not trying to start a smoking battle so please help me out and keep reading. My husband and I aren't a fan of smoking so I was wondering if we have a better chance of having non smoking neighbors if we choose a very forward balcony. This will be our first cruise with a little one (he will probably be 2-3 years by the time we cruise) and I'm not sure I want to settle for a interior cabin like we normally do since there will likely be more in cabin time with a little one. I thought about Celebrity because they have the most restrictive smoking policy but they also have fewer 7 day Caribbean options than Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Celebrity is also more expensive and I'm not sure I feel ok spending $1200-$1600 more for a guarantee of no smoking around my stateroom. Right now I'm just mulling it over (researching it to death lol) so I'd love some input. I know there are no guarantees etc but if you had a forward balcony I'd like to know if you did or didn't have an issue with smoking neighbors. Also if you are a non smoker did you specifically choose a forward balcony to decrease the chances of second hand smoke on your balcony. If you smoke, do you prefer a forward balcony? Thanks in advance everyone and please lets keep it civil.

It is suggested that a forward balcony would be better but, as you stated there are no guarentees. Most Princess cruisers don't have a problem with smoke however the few that do will definately comment on it, over and over again.

we are sailing this coming saturday, we both smoke and have a forward port side balcony on deck 12 on the NCL Star. There are only 2 balcony cabins on this side of our deck, and 2 balcony cabins on starboard. All the rest are family suites with 4 floor to ceiling windows.

We normally take a midship balcony, no one has complained yet, but, of course it could happen.

Trying to protect oneself from enviromental hazards is a tuff job.Good luck! its going to be work..I personally hate city buses with exhaust, and standing on sidewalks with slow moving cars and trucks.Guess thats why we live rural. Hopefully the future will be cleaner.. Have a great time planning, thats more than half the fun!! Dona

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that not only are there possibilities of smokers on each side of your balcony, there is the chance of them being below or above you.

We paid a good premium to cruise in the Spa section of the Carnival Dream because it was totally smoke-free on two forward decks but we still had to deal with the smokers one deck below. Very frustrating. It wasn't horrible but to pay a premium for a smoke-free area and still have to go inside when someone is smoking below really makes me reconsider what i am willing to pay for.

I guess I would just consider the odds and what I would be willing to pay to increase the odds.

Hello,

You definitely are trying to find a good place to stay away from smokers and do not blame you if that is your preference. For me, I am a smoker but do not try to impose on anyone. If you do find yourself in a situation around a smoker they more than likely purchased the balcony to be able to smoke, after all the balcony is outside.

My point of responding is that more than likely they will only be outside to smoke for a few minutes and the wind should carry the smoke away. If it was me and you politely asked me to try to help with your smoke issue, I would very careful about my smoke and try to work out a plan with you that would work for both of us. Not trying to upset anyone but usually a compromise can be worked out if the parties act like they are the adults they should be.

Speaking as a smoker, I try to book a cabin towards the aft end of the ship, knowing my smoke will drift that direction and fewer people will be exposed to it. I also try to meet my neighbors and ask them to let me know if they need me to refrain from smoking on my balcony at certain times so we can all enjoy our vacations. (I've actually made some friends this way.)

Now days, most smokers know it's a stinking habit and would quit if they were able to do so. Most of us have no objections to being polite about spreading our smoke around and actually work at finding appropriate places to smoke. All you have to do is ask us politely if you have a problem.

I'm not trying to start a smoking battle so please help me out and keep reading. My husband and I aren't a fan of smoking so I was wondering if we have a better chance of having non smoking neighbors if we choose a very forward balcony. This will be our first cruise with a little one (he will probably be 2-3 years by the time we cruise) and I'm not sure I want to settle for a interior cabin like we normally do since there will likely be more in cabin time with a little one. I thought about Celebrity because they have the most restrictive smoking policy but they also have fewer 7 day Caribbean options than Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Celebrity is also more expensive and I'm not sure I feel ok spending $1200-$1600 more for a guarantee of no smoking around my stateroom. Right now I'm just mulling it over (researching it to death lol) so I'd love some input. I know there are no guarantees etc but if you had a forward balcony I'd like to know if you did or didn't have an issue with smoking neighbors. Also if you are a non smoker did you specifically choose a forward balcony to decrease the chances of second hand smoke on your balcony. If you smoke, do you prefer a forward balcony? Thanks in advance everyone and please lets keep it civil.

If you take the balcony that is furthest forward you will eliminate one neighbor (since nobody will be on one side of your cabin) and even if the neighbor on the other side smokes, at least will the ship is moving, that person will be down wind from you.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for starting this thread, and I echo the request that it remain civil. My husband and I are non-smokers, and are also looking at how to book a balcony while ensuring that we can it enjoy it smoke-free. We would like a Caribbean cruise in June, which eliminates Celebrity (thus eliminating their smoke-free balcony policy). Renunciate, I appreciate your comment about speaking with our neighbors- to be honest I think we would probably be hesitant to do this, however, as odds are good that we would just start a bigger problem. Just curious if the other balcony smokers out there would respond well to a neighbor saying "hey would you mind not smoking in the morning while we're trying to eat our breakfast?"

In the meantime, I would probably just take a promenade/park view balcony to eliminate the risk if we're on RCI, otherwise do a Bermuda cruise on Celebrity to ensure a smoke-free balcony. Seems like allowing balconies on one side to remain smoke-free would be a compromise though ( =

Thank you for starting this thread, and I echo the request that it remain civil.

Seems like allowing balconies on one side to remain smoke-free would be a compromise though ( =

I love this idea! You would think now that only about 20% of the population smokes that one side of the ship could be designated non-smoking.

Thank you for starting this thread, and I echo the request that it remain civil. My husband and I are non-smokers, and are also looking at how to book a balcony while ensuring that we can it enjoy it smoke-free. We would like a Caribbean cruise in June, which eliminates Celebrity (thus eliminating their smoke-free balcony policy). Renunciate, I appreciate your comment about speaking with our neighbors- to be honest I think we would probably be hesitant to do this, however, as odds are good that we would just start a bigger problem. Just curious if the other balcony smokers out there would respond well to a neighbor saying "hey would you mind not smoking in the morning while we're trying to eat our breakfast?"

In the meantime, I would probably just take a promenade/park view balcony to eliminate the risk if we're on RCI, otherwise do a Bermuda cruise on Celebrity to ensure a smoke-free balcony. Seems like allowing balconies on one side to remain smoke-free would be a compromise though ( =

To do that the cruise line would have to eliminate online booking.

To do that the cruise line would have to eliminate online booking.

I don't think so. Programmers could fix that easily. First they would clearly post that the port side is now non-smoking. Then, when you selected a cabin, where the prices comes up, it would show "You have selected a non-smoking cabin on the non-smoking side of the ship". All guarantee's would agree that they could be assigned on either side of the ship.

I think it is just a question of time and these changes will come. Twenty five years ago you could still smoke in an airplane:eek:, in airports:rolleyes:, and in most offices:rolleyes:.

Where we live all bars and restaurants are also non-smoking and people still go. It is just a question of time.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason they cannot do one side smoking is because they want to sail each time with a full ship. They cannot do that if they have designated smoking & non-smoking sides. No way to fill up a smoking side with non-smoking people as that would defeat the purpose.

If you look at Carnival you can get a balcony behind a spa suite, spa suite's are non-smoking on the balconies.

As a cigar smoker I booked a side cabin as far aft as possible so there's less chance of my smoke bothering anyone. I have heard others do this too.

Simple physics would suggest the further forward you are the less likely you will have any smoke as the ship is moving forward.

Archived