Naples to Pompeii/Herculaneum tour recommendations?

DIAMONDRCL

Sailing on the Harmony of the Seas soon. Pompeii was one of the most amazing things i saw 15 years ago on business. I want to take my wife there on our cruise when we port in Naples. Must be indepth. Pompeii only or Pompeii and Herculaneum.

We want one that picks up directly at the dock. Probably last most of the day. Want one indepth. We don't want/need the amalfi coast or Sorrento legs. I can envision a tour with a solid 3 hours in Pompeii alone, perhaps also a shorter trip to Herculaneum

Recommendations? I do searches on the web and there are soooooooo many. And it's not clear which are good and in depth and which are not. Or where the excursion begins and ends.

Anyone have a recommendation for us? this is a trip of the lifetime for us and I want this excursion to the be the jewel of the trip

The only way to have exactly what you want is to hire one of the car services to drive you.

Note, however, that a driver is not a guide in Italy so you will also need to hire a licensed guide to tour Pompei with you. A full day would be extremely expensive but you could arrange a two or four hour tour with the guide, then continue on your own.

A reputable car service can help put you in touch with a guide.

If this truly is soon two concerns come immediately to mind; first that the popular car services may not have any space left and, second, the heat at Pompei may make a full day unbearable (blistering sun with virtually no shade to be found).

Edited by euro cruiser

Have a look at Context Travel. Their guides are extremely knowledgeable, and they can arrange for a driver in addition to a private tour. Not cheap, but if this is important to you, it may well be worth it.

I have just spent two entire days in Pompeii (I'm actually staying at a hotel near the site as I type this). I think three hours is shorting yourself if you really want to see the best of it.

Also, I don't think there's a need to do both Herculaneum and Pompeii. They are more similar than different, and you get the wider variety in Pompeii. (In Herculaneum there are fewer of the public buildings that have been excavated.) Frankly I was just at Herculaneum, and I don't think this is the year to go. Some of the very best houses are closed for restoration as well as the large Palaestra. While in Pompeii they have opened several houses recently that have not been viewable for a while. Plus the Villa of the Mysteries at Pompeii has recently had all of its frescoes cleaned -- the results are wonderful. It was a must-see before and now it is even better.

Edited by cruisemom42

Have a look at Context Travel. Their guides are extremely knowledgeable, and they can arrange for a driver in addition to a private tour. Not cheap, but if this is important to you, it may well be worth it.

Cruisemom's post raises an important point, which is to know what is most important to you. Most of the car services discussed here get high ratings because their drivers speak English well and are highly entertaining. If that's important, as it would be for a long day of driving along the Amalfi Coast, it should be prioritized.

On the other hand, if a quality guide experience at the sight (or sights) you choose is the key priority, choose the guide first and let them arrange the transit, as Cruisemom suggests. It may well be that your driver speaks little or no English, but if that's not your priority why pay the higher price for the services that cater to English speaking tourists?

Rome in Limo picked us up and arranged a guide for Pompei and the Amafi Coast. The best food of our entire 16 days was the lunch they arranged. Fabulous is all I can say!
I have no doubt that it was entertaining and a great day, but RIL probably isn't the best fit for the OP given his priorities. They are an American company targeting English speaking cruise passengers looking for an entertaining experience, as you had. The OP seems to be looking for a more in-depth historical experience, which is not RIL's focus. It's about selecting the supplier who best fits with your goals.

I have no doubt that it was entertaining and a great day, but RIL probably isn't the best fit for the OP given his priorities. They are an American company targeting English speaking cruise passengers looking for an entertaining experience, as you had. The OP seems to be looking for a more in-depth historical experience, which is not RIL's focus. It's about selecting the supplier who best fits with your goals.

Well I don't know our guide was an Italian University professor who had a Doctorate in Ancient Antiquities (not exactly I forget but it had to do with the Italian and Greek sites). Our day was a very extensive history lesson I will never forget. Not sure about entertainment but it was certainly unforgettable!

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the driver, not the guide. Guides are licensed professionals in Italy so I would expect a high level of knowledge and language fluency.

My point was about the driver, not the guide. You pay a premium for a service like RIL because they provide English speaking, entertaining drivers. This is important if you're going to spend an entire day mostly in the car with the driver.

On the other hand, if what you need is basic transportation because you'll be out of the car with the guide most of the day, a service that doesn't target the English language market can do the job for a lot less money than RIL (and the like) charges.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the driver, not the guide. Guides are licensed professionals in Italy so I would expect a high level of knowledge and language fluency.

My point was about the driver, not the guide. You pay a premium for a service like RIL because they provide English speaking, entertaining drivers. This is important if you're going to spend an entire day mostly in the car with the driver.

On the other hand, if what you need is basic transportation because you'll be out of the car with the guide most of the day, a service that doesn't target the English language market can do the job for a lot less money than RIL (and the like) charges.

Exactly so.

It's the difference between hiring Driver (plus guide) versus hiring Guide (plus driver).

That said, Context Travel isn't going to be much less expensive if you want to hire a private car. They can, however, have someone meet you at the ship and go on the public transportation with you to get there.

Public transportation to Pompeii from Naples would not be a very good use of precious port time.

Given the epic traffic issues around the city as well as on the narrow road onto and off the Sorrentine peninsula, it's a bit of a crapshoot, which is why it's nice that there are alternatives. There is no one right answer, there is just the best fit for each individual in each specific situation.

Edited by euro cruiser

Public transportation to Pompeii from Naples would not be a very good use of precious port time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I am in Pompeii right now and we have driven to Naples and back several times, as well as to other places. Traffic is absolutely terrible.

Pompeii is just about 35-40 minutes by the old Circumvesuviana. Some of the newer options may be quicker. I much doubt a driver could get one to the site any faster. (And the Circumvesuviana stop is just steps from Pompeii's main entrance.) I've done this train and arrived at the site at about the time it opened. Even if a guide would get you there faster, there's not much to be gained.....

Herculaneum is even closer by public transportation.

Edited by cruisemom42

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I am in Pompeii right now and we have driven to Naples and back several times, as well as to other places. Traffic is absolutely terrible.

Pompeii is just about 35-40 minutes by the old Circumvesuviana. Some of the newer options may be quicker. I much doubt a driver could get one to the site any faster. (And the Circumvesuviana stop is just steps from Pompeii's main entrance.) I've done this train and arrived at the site at about the time it opened. Even if a guide would get you there faster, there's not much to be gained.....

Agree absolutely. Train is very easy and quick and will get you there faster than a ships tour.

As you are there now I bow to your expertise:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have just spent two entire days in Pompeii (I'm actually staying at a hotel near the site as I type this). I think three hours is shorting yourself if you really want to see the best of it.

Also, I don't think there's a need to do both Herculaneum and Pompeii. They are more similar than different, and you get the wider variety in Pompeii. (In Herculaneum there are fewer of the public buildings that have been excavated.) Frankly I was just at Herculaneum, and I don't think this is the year to go. Some of the very best houses are closed for restoration as well as the large Palaestra. While in Pompeii they have opened several houses recently that have not been viewable for a while. Plus the Villa of the Mysteries at Pompeii has recently had all of its frescoes cleaned -- the results are wonderful. It was a must-see before and now it is even better.

Good feedback. I had the same question. should we attempt both or not?

thanks

I do internet searches. So many guides. so many companies. so many options. I only have a week and a half til we leave. I need to pick one soon. ugh

If you are leaving in only a week and a half, you may find a lot of the reputable tour companies are already booked full. I wouldn't delay making enquiries if you want to get something lined up.

If you are leaving in only a week and a half, you may find a lot of the reputable tour companies are already booked full. I wouldn't delay making enquiries if you want to get something lined up.

Yiks completely agree! At this late date I would send multiple emails to guides with good reviews and see if any one has availability. We booked RIL 10 months in advance.

thanks so much for the ideas. I think we found exactly what we are looking for! private tour, private car to take us there, a guide with a lot of positive comments behind her, and a company with a very high rating on various travel sites