NCL and food allergies?

bangzoom6877

We are booked on the Breakaway in July, and my son has some food allergies. Specifically, he is allergic to tree nuts, peanuts and shellfish. We haven't cruised on NCL since 2011 and back then his only known food allergy was shellfish. A few months later, he had a reaction to a pecan and was tested...positive for various tree nuts and also for peanuts. He also had what's known as a component blood test for peanut allergy and it turns out he is allergic only to the component that causes the mildest possible reaction. But, the allergist still said to continue reading all labels in order to avoid cross contamination.

On Carnival last summer, they brought us the dinner menu for the following night and he was able to pre-order whatever he wanted and they made it without cross contamination from his allergens. However, we had the same waiter and table every night so they knew when to expect us. We do plan to go to the MDR at opening time for dinner, but how does NCL handle nut allergies? They were terrific with the shellfish allergy on the Jewel in 2011. They even cooked his burger and fries to order in the kitchen when we were at the buffet, just to be 100% safe from cross contamination from other guests. And he was served his food at our table. They really couldn't do enough for him.

Anyone out there have experience with nut allergies on NCL? I'm wondering if he will be able to eat any of the desserts they serve in the MDR, especially on chocoholic night. And also wondering about Cagney's and Moderno, the two specialty restaurants we might possibly take the kids to eat (not sure yet if just DH and I will dine at those while they're at the camp).

We will also have to bring Epi-pens with us, just as a precaution. What is the policy for boarding the ship with these? I have to carry them in my purse so we have them on us at all times.

Our travel agent already noted his allergies when she booked the cruise for us. Any other contact I should make to NCL before we go?

Thanks in advance for any info that could help!

My spouse is allergic to wheat and other glutens. NCL treat this so well. We have never had a problem. All of his foods are made in a separate kitchen and each night after dinner the assistant Maitre D would discuss with him the menus for the next day. (and also what he could have made for him gluten free) My spouse would pre order his meals and when we went to the dinning room we would just give our room number and his meal would be delivered as promised. We could also get gluten free pizza and other things for him. At the buffet we needed to request the dinning supervisor who could advise us on what dishes did not have gluten in them.

In the several cruises that we have taken with NCL they have done a fabulous job with the food allergies. Just remember to send an e-mail as soon as you book to the access desk to request the form which you will need to fill out to tell them some specifics about the allergies.

Have a great cruise!

I have a shellfish allergy and I've never had a problem. I've never done anything special just avoided eating it. The only time I have ever told anyone else was at Teppenyaki. They cooked my food on a different grill. I'd have them note it in your file and then discuss it onboard.

I'm pretty sure you'd be fine at Moderno- but remind the person when you get there. Same thing with Cagney's.

On our NYE cruise we had our son's GF with us and she is highly allergies to tree nuts and shellfish. We spent to the MDR upon embarkation to see he menu for the evening. She pre-ordered that night and then at supper each night they would bring her the menu for the next evening. She would order her meal and upon being seated she would advise them that she had preordered. Despite all of our worries, she did very well and NCL kept her safe!

snow bunny

My DH has shrimp allergy...NCL has always been wonderful !

Be proactive and be sure to find the correct person to talk in the Food and Beverage Dept...(.even after contacting special needs dept ahead).

Contact

accessdesk@ncl.com

at NCL, and they'll send you a detailed form to complete, about any type of special needs (mobility assistance, special dietary, sharps containers, special meds, etc.).

One of us has a food allergy, and we were directed to the MDR in advance the first evening.

That turned out to be a bit useless, as we were presented with a menu and asked to choose NOW what was desired for dinner, only from that restaurant. This was our FIRST NCL cruise, and we hadn't yet seen any other dining options.

Later, we were told to select a day in advance for whatever we selected, and yes, it would be prepared separately to avoid cross-contamination if necessary. (We don't have that type of allergy, so special prep wasn't necessary; just needed to know if a specific ingredient was in any "mystery sauce", etc. - otherwise, we could spot it.)

So wherever we ate, we just announced the allergy at time of order, and usually the report was "not in what you ordered", but once it was, and we selected something else.

We ended up not bothering with the "low/no salt" diet, WHICH WAS A MISTAKE.

The food IS SALTY.

Next cruise, we'll take the time to decide in advance.

(All of the weight gain was obviously water, as within a week of getting home, it was all gone. But that wasn't healthy, and was no doubt the reason for very swollen - and somewhat painful - legs by the end. Live and learn!)

We do carry an Epi-Pen at ALL times, just in case of a non-dietary problem.

We mentioned it on the special form.

No one questioned it, although they obviously saw the Epi-Pen on the x-rays whenever we boarded.

We suspect that there are many Epi-Pens on board.

This was our first NCL cruise, and the FIRST thing we did after getting home was to book a few more.

This was SO much better than we had expected. It's truly difficult to sort through comments from others, "the good, the bad, and the ugly", and try to figure out which perspectives are the same as yours might be.

It wasn't perfect, but it was a wonderful and relaxing trip.

We DID have a medical incident, and the medical staff were quickly and effectively responsive, just as would have happened on land at home.

GeezerCouple