Internet on Radiance

I have pre-purchased the Surf Voom on the Radiance. Today, I noticed that there are only offers for Surf Voom + Stream on the Radiance. Has there been a recent upgrade? There are no offers for only Surf Voom. So does that mean I will automatically be upgraded to Surf Voom + Stream when I do embark on our upcoming cruise?

I have pre-purchased the Surf Voom on the Radiance. Today, I noticed that there are only offers for Surf Voom + Stream on the Radiance. Has there been a recent upgrade? There are no offers for only Surf Voom. So does that mean I will automatically be upgraded to Surf Voom + Stream when I do embark on our upcoming cruise?

For whatever reason, only Surf+Stream has been available on the Cruise Planner lately. Used to be you could choose Surf only too. They still have both options onboard, so I'm guessing you won't be upgraded.

If you want to switch, you would have to cancel your current option and re-book the new option.

For whatever reason, only Surf+Stream has been available on the Cruise Planner lately. Used to be you could choose Surf only too. They still have both options onboard, so I'm guessing you won't be upgraded.

If you want to switch, you would have to cancel your current option and re-book the new option.

Interesting sale tactic. ;)

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what the Stream plus 1 device price is on the Radiance?

I did read that it's better to just purchase onboard for a 7 day cruise with our 2 D+ discounts, but I'm wondering if that applies equally to buying access for 2 devices. Current price with 30% discount is $153.93.

Anyone know what the Stream plus 1 device price is on the Radiance?

I did read that it's better to just purchase onboard for a 7 day cruise with our 2 D+ discounts, but I'm wondering if that applies equally to buying access for 2 devices. Current price with 30% discount is $153.93.

The math is a bit different for two devices and it also matters if you can live with just Surf and one device for two days. If you skip the first day (you'll have cell signal till dinner), apply the first coupon for two days of Surf, then apply the second coupon to buy a two device Surf package on day 4 it will be cheaper (24x4-40) than your current precruise price - but with the limitations listed above. Even if you pick the two device Stream package on day 4, you'll still be ahead (34x4-40).For an apples-apples comparison with precruise, the on board price would be 34x7-40 or $198 (and the second coupon wouldn't be used).

For Emerald, is it better to purchase pre cruise or is the C&A discount on board a better deal? It would be for one device and is offered for $11.99 which is a 30% discount.

If you can live with just Surf (the pre cruise $12 is for Stream), cost wise you could be a few $ ahead by buying on board (I think it's 20% off of $13 for Surf). Stream is $18 on board so if you want that, buy pre cruise.

For Emerald, is it better to purchase pre cruise or is the C&A discount on board a better deal? It would be for one device and is offered for $11.99 which is a 30% discount.

Pre-cruise discount is better for Emerald.

Thank you both for your answers. I believe, I will only need surf for one device as I will only be checking and answering emails and blogging for family members. Is this correct?

I got excited for our upcoming Alaska cruise and bought the internet package at 30% off. We also have an Anthem cruise booked for this December and they are offering the internet for 30% off also. I wasn't sure being Emerald which would be the better deal for me. Then, finally we have a Transpacific booked for April 2018 at which time we will be Diamond. Any help or advice on how to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help!

I got excited for our upcoming Alaska cruise and bought the internet package at 30% off. We also have an Anthem cruise booked for this December and they are offering the internet for 30% off also. I wasn't sure being Emerald which would be the better deal for me. Then, finally we have a Transpacific booked for April 2018 at which time we will be Diamond. Any help or advice on how to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help!

You may want to factor WiFi availability in ports into your VOOM buying decision. On an Alaskan cruise you will likely have cell signal in every port which will be part of your cell phone plan (except maybe a Canadian port). - so getting VOOM is questionable. The situation is quite different on Anthem and TP where you have lots of sea days. If you really need VOOM, for the latter two cruises, buying pre cruise is the way to go, even on the TP on which you will be D. The D discount on board ($20) is not as good as the pre cruise discount.

You may want to factor WiFi availability in ports into your VOOM buying decision. On an Alaskan cruise you will likely have cell signal in every port which will be part of your cell phone plan (except maybe a Canadian port). - so getting VOOM is questionable. The situation is quite different on Anthem and TP where you have lots of sea days. If you really need VOOM, for the latter two cruises, buying pre cruise is the way to go, even on the TP on which you will be D. The D discount on board ($20) is not as good as the pre cruise discount.

Thank you very much for your advice.

The math is a bit different for two devices and it also matters if you can live with just Surf and one device for two days. If you skip the first day (you'll have cell signal till dinner), apply the first coupon for two days of Surf, then apply the second coupon to buy a two device Surf package on day 4 it will be cheaper (24x4-40) than your current precruise price - but with the limitations listed above. Even if you pick the two device Stream package on day 4, you'll still be ahead (34x4-40).For an apples-apples comparison with precruise, the on board price would be 34x7-40 or $198 (and the second coupon wouldn't be used).

Thanks for breaking it down, Biker. I think I need to look into the internet speeds in the Radiance before deciding if Stream is needed over Surf. Also, this is for an Alaskan cruise, and I'm not sure if that makes a difference with AT&T. I'm also willing to pay a little more to avoid ridiculously slow speeds.

I'm also willing to pay a little more to avoid ridiculously slow speeds.

Understandable, but, realize that buying Stream will get you higher speeds which may not translate to a faster experience. Radiance has the old style high latency internet and for many functions (like plain web surfing), there's little discernible difference between the two tiers of service.