Overnight in St. Maarten/St. Martin

We are booked on the Nov 18, 2016 Equinox sailing, which has an overnight. Looking forward to it! Been to Island as a cruise stop numerous times and stayed at Caravanseri Resort on the Dutch side twice, but stayed around the resort generally. Can I hear recommendations for dinner on the island that night? Thanks, Jay and Kris.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are booked on the Nov 18, 2016 Equinox sailing, which has an overnight. Looking forward to it! Been to Island as a cruise stop numerous times and stayed at Caravanseri Resort on the Dutch side twice, but stayed around the resort generally. Can I hear recommendations for dinner on the island that night? Thanks, Jay and Kris.

Try this link. The site has helped us in the past.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g147346-St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

You may receive suggestions for dinner in Grand Case or Marigot, but I would suggest staying in Philipsburg instead of spending the transit time.

Our very favorite is Antoine's. Wonderful food and a great view across Great Bay to your ship.

th_DSCN0778.jpg

(click)

gary

• 2 weeks later...

I would take the opportunity to have dinner in Grand Case at night while on a cruise in a heartbeat. I would go for an earlier dinner on the water that would include pre dinner drinks at sunset followed by a delishious meal and a stroll through Grand Case to just people watch and boutique shop.😊 Lucky you!

Karysa, any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are so many great choices and many of them are on the non seaside which is ok for a late dinner or if you have been at the beach all day but for a first time Grand Case Dinner then I think ocean side and early is best. DH loved Tastevin but it was too fishy and French for me because that's not up my alley. We both love Le Soleil, and Sunset Cafe at the Grand Case Beach Resort. I have heard good things about Ocean 81 as well. I would suggest looking up those on Trip Advisor.

We are also big fans of Grand Case (it is where we stay when on the island) which has a good grouping of excellent French and Seafood restaurants and also a pretty decent LoLo (Locally Owned Locally Operated). The LoLos are lower price ..often dumpy places that offer items such as great ribs. As to cruise overnights, if you have a rental car...then Grand Case is a good option (just have a designated driver). Without a car we would probably stay in Phillipsburg.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I can't recommend that anyone not very familiar with the island drive round trip to Grand Case unless they can complete the trip before dark. Sunset in November is around 5:30.

Navigating to Grand Case restaurants is difficult enough during the day when you're pretty sure where you're going. :)

If one is set on Grand Case, I would highly recommend traveling by taxi.

gary

p.s. I understand that Antoine's has been sold. :(

I can't recommend that anyone not very familiar with the island drive round trip to Grand Case unless they can complete the trip before dark. Sunset in November is around 5:30.

Navigating to Grand Case restaurants is difficult enough during the day when you're pretty sure where you're going. :)

If one is set on Grand Case, I would highly recommend traveling by taxi.

gary

p.s. I understand that Antoine's has been sold. :(

I also would not recommend driving anywhere on the island that you are not familiar with after dark. We sure don't, and we avoid places we are familiar with that we don't feel safe in after dark such as Sandy Ground.

We find using Airport Rd the easiest way to get into Grand Case. We just park in the big free lot and walk "restaurant row" instead of trying to find parking on the street.