Tampa on a budget

junglecat

HELP! I'm trying to help a friend who's on a tight budget a very tight budget. They are sailing out of Tampa, which I've never done so I'm little to no help.

Obviously, looking for the best deal that's a decent place to stay. Flying in on the 6th of February and setting sail on the 7th. They would love to find a place with free breakfast and free shuttle to the port as well. Any suggestions/ideas?

Also what is the distance between the airport/port?

Thanks to all who reply.

Airport to port is a 15 minute $25 flat rate cab ride.

Several budget options near the airport, plus dining and shopping within walking distance.

Another option is the Rocky Point area where several hotels (Chase Suites, etc.) offer cruise packages including both airport and port shuttles.

Stay away from hotels near the stadium unless interested in visiting lots of strip clubs. :eek:

like the above poster mentioned. A taxi from the airport (or hotel in that area) is a set rate of $25. So make sure you watch and do the math if you find a hotel with "free shuttles" or a cruise package.

We are staying at the Sailport Waterside and looked at the cruise package. Way higher than booking the regular rate and paying for the taxi on our own.

So we booked at regular rate and will be able to skip the "cattle call" that some shuttle from the hotels tend to be.

Feb 6th is only a week away so some of the better choices are already sold out for that date.

In addition, Feb is considered in-season for area hotels so a hotel room that would normally be $100 in the summer will now be much, much more.

I did a search and found two options that may work.

#1 The Holiday Inn Express on Rocky Point still has rooms available for their cruise pkg....... the rate is $189 for 2 guests. It includes an airport shuttle, room, hot breakfast, a shuttle to the port and a shuttle from the port back to the airport upon debarkation.

* This rate may seem high but honestly for the time of year and the convenience of having everything in one package, it's not that bad.

#2- There is the LaQuinta Tampa Airport. They do not offer a cruise pkg per say but I believe they offer a shuttle to the port for less than $10pp. You would then need to take a taxi back from the port to TIA.... so add on $25 plus tip. The hotel does offer a complimentary airport shuttle and hot breakfast. This is a decent hotel in a corporate area near the airport and the International Plaza Mall. There is also a 24 hr IHOP adjacent to the hotel.

Their rate for Feb 6 is $109. You would then need to add in the shuttle rate an/or taxi rate to the port plus the return taxi rate ...after the cruise.

Two other options would have been The Hampton Rocky Point but they are sold out for your dates.

The Chase Suites has rooms but the cruise pkg was almost $200 for Feb 6.

I tried a few other hotels but they were either sold-out or $$$

Good luck to your friends.

Thanks Cari! You went beyond helping, you did done great leg work. This is a very complicated situation. I given her everything you gave me. The really weird twist is my DH and I leave the same day out Ft. Lauderdale. Wish I could give her more guidance but Tampa us a mystery to me!! Thanks again!