Itinerary Ideas Please

IvanTheOk

Hello everyone,

My wife and I and two kids will be arriving in St. Maarten on 3/25/2015 at around 8am and staying till around 4pm.

We have reserved a car through Hertz.

Would love some info on what to do and where to go while on the island.

Please let us know.

Thanks!

Thanks...

The kids are 10 (almost 11- boy) & 5 (almost 6,thinks she's 16 - girl).

We'd like to experience as much of the island as we can. We usually try and avoid tourist trap type places whenever possible, unless it's a must see thing like Maho and the airplanes. We enjoy somewhat off the beaten path, more local oriented places. We're from Orlando and have more than our share of touristy stuff and avoid it as much as possible.

Getting to know the islands history, seeing interesting and unique places, and some mild adventure seem to appeal to us the most.

Aside from hanging out at Maho beach (our last stop before heading back on to the ship) to see the planes scare my kids while throwing back a few stiff drinks, we have no game plan.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Ivan

Thanks...

We'd like to experience as much of the island as we can. We usually try and avoid tourist trap type places whenever possible, unless it's a must see thing like Maho and the airplanes. We enjoy somewhat off the beaten path, more local oriented places. We're from Orlando and have more than our share of touristy stuff and avoid it as much as possible.

Getting to know the islands history, seeing interesting and unique places, and some mild adventure seem to appeal to us the most.

Aside from hanging out at Maho beach (our last stop before heading back on to the ship) to see the planes scare my kids while throwing back a few stiff drinks, we have no game plan.

Thanks again!

Ivan

OK, just a quick first shot for this evening.

Head up the Eastern side of the island to see Orient Beach. You really can't go to the island without doing so --Yes, We've been there stuff.

Drive through Grand Case if it interests you.

Marigot, drive up to Fort Louis for the absolutely best view on the island.

See if the Marigot Marketplace interests you. Wednesday and Saturday is best.

Continue around the island hitting Maho Beach. best time for planes is between 11:00 and 2:00 or so. We prefer Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar to Sunset, as it is a bit less touristy and has cheaper beer.

I'd leave Maho about 2:00 and head back to Philipsburg.

If you have extra time, the shopping in downtown is not to be matched. If cutting it close there are a dozen or so shops at the Cruise Facility.

That didn't include a stop for food.

Guy's is supposed to offer great pizza, but we haven't tried it yet.

Comments?

gary

Thanks...

Thanks again!

Ivan

I think that Lotterie Farm is a unique place on the island. Having a drink up in the trees is quite neat. Besides the fort and Maho that would be my suggestion. Also the drinking and driving laws are very strict especially on the French side of the island so keep that in mind as well.

If you get in late or change your mind another place your kids might like is the Playstation out in the water near The Simpson Bay resort. It's an old catamaran turned into a jungle gym with slides and rope swings. It's between the port and Maho beach.

I think that Lotterie Farm is a unique place on the island. Having a drink up in the trees is quite neat. Besides the fort and Maho that would be my suggestion. Also the drinking and driving laws are very strict especially on the French side of the island so keep that in mind as well.

If you get in late or change your mind another place your kids might like is the Playstation out in the water near The Simpson Bay resort. It's an old catamaran turned into a jungle gym with slides and rope swings. It's between the port and Maho beach.

Thanks...

From what I've read, Lotterie Farm seems to be basically a spa/restaurant and zip lines. We love nature but just don't see what the fuzz is all about at this particular place. I guess the main concern with this spot would be if the kids will be entertained or not there. Out of us, I would be the only one interested in a nature hike, so that may also pose an obstacle.

If you have any insight or info regarding the Lotterie Farm, please share.

Thanks!

Edited by IvanTheOk

OK, just a quick first shot for this evening.

Head up the Eastern side of the island to see Orient Beach. You really can't go to the island without doing so --Yes, We've been there stuff.

Drive through Grand Case if it interests you.

Marigot, drive up to Fort Louis for the absolutely best view on the island.

See if the Marigot Marketplace interests you. Wednesday and Saturday is best.

Continue around the island hitting Maho Beach. best time for planes is between 11:00 and 2:00 or so. We prefer Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar to Sunset, as it is a bit less touristy and has cheaper beer.

I'd leave Maho about 2:00 and head back to Philipsburg.

If you have extra time, the shopping in downtown is not to be matched. If cutting it close there are a dozen or so shops at the Cruise Facility.

That didn't include a stop for food.

Guy's is supposed to offer great pizza, but we haven't tried it yet.

Comments?

gary

Thank you. Awesome info!

Thanks...

From what I've read, Lotterie Farm seems to be basically a spa/restaurant and zip lines. We love nature but just don't see what the fuzz is all about at this particular place. I guess the main concern with this spot would be if the kids will be entertained or not there. Out of us, I would be the only one interested in a nature hike, so that may also pose an obstacle.

If you have any insight or info regarding the Lotterie Farm, please share.

Thanks!

I loved eating up in the trees. :) The hike is too difficult for your youngest child.

Funny thing is I was actually trying to add some excitement for your kids as a tour around St. Maarten is not particularly exciting for kids IMHO. The fort and Maho are for sures though.

OK, almost all set, thanks for all the great info...another question, aside from Orient, what would be a more quiet, calm, nice beach to spend an hour at?

Thanks!

Also...what of Loterie Farm?

Le Galion would be perfect for your youngest. Maho has a drop so she would probably enjoy Le Galion. It's calm and the water is clear and it's very shallow. It's a very natural Caribbean beach and very different from Maho.