Monster Jeep to Hidden Mayan Ruin in Cozumel

ilovecraig929

Please keep us posted if you learn anymore about the mayan ruin tour. We typically rent mopeds and venture out on our own to tour the island - to South tip then around to Coconuts on the hill....it's a nice day out n' about. This looks really interesting though - especially as it has never been opened to the public before recently! mrvago@comcast.net -

Sounds exactly like the Dune Buggy Tour we did about 12 years ago. The road/path that they used had since been kind of destroyed by a hurricane, so they closed it, but they must have opened it up again.

If you head straight across the island on the transverse road, the main road will turn right/south and the sandy path road goes off to the north. There are some nice beaches up that way and some EXCELLENT snorkeling as well. We had a great day stopping to hold a small boa constrictor and getting out and wandering around the small ruins up in that area. They are really nothing but a stone building, so don't get too excited, but still kind of fun nonetheless.

If these are indeed some sort of "monster" jeeps, I'd like to see a picture. If they are regular jeeps, not sure it would be all that exciting. We were there in Dune Buggies so we could really have fun in the sand.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone done this excursion through royal caribbean? It looks like something my husband and son would like but so far I can't find any reviews on it!

I could not find any info either, so my hubby called RCI and she mentioned that the excursion was booking up quickly so we went ahead and made the reservation for it. He is a big JEEP fan so I think his mind was already made up regardless of any reviews, lol . We are leaving 4 weeks from today on the oasis. Super excited! :D

• 2 weeks later...

We went on this excursion about a week ago, sailing with The Oasis. First of all we have to say, very entertaining and service minded guides, Jesus and Angel. The jeeps are ordinary jeeps, but they can take a beating. We met at the pier and got paired up 4 in each jeep.

We drove through the city and had a very nice and entertaining tequila tasting, before going off road.

About 40 minutes later we stopped at the very small ruin, but even if the ruin wasn't all that interesting, the guides told a pretty interesting story about Cozumel and it's history.

We started back and shortly after we stopped and went to this amazing beach. They had parasols and blankets ready for us, the grill was already lit and the cook was preparing our lunch. We had a great time in the water, even though there was a fairly strong current. The food was great and fresh and music was playing from one of the jeeps.

The only negative thing about this secluded beach was all the plastic that had been washed ashore.

After lunch we drove back to the ship, with a short pit stop at the tequila place for those who needed a bath room break.

All in all we had a great day, and the rough ride in the jeeps were good for a lot of laughs, so even if you didn't know the people you were driving with, you got to feel pretty relaxed - the tequila might have helped a little :-)

We went on this excursion about a week ago, sailing with The Oasis. First of all we have to say, very entertaining and service minded guides, Jesus and Angel. The jeeps are ordinary jeeps, but they can take a beating. We met at the pier and got paired up 4 in each jeep.

We drove through the city and had a very nice and entertaining tequila tasting, before going off road.

About 40 minutes later we stopped at the very small ruin, but even if the ruin wasn't all that interesting, the guides told a pretty interesting story about Cozumel and it's history.

We started back and shortly after we stopped and went to this amazing beach. They had parasols and blankets ready for us, the grill was already lit and the cook was preparing our lunch. We had a great time in the water, even though there was a fairly strong current. The food was great and fresh and music was playing from one of the jeeps.

The only negative thing about this secluded beach was all the plastic that had been washed ashore.

After lunch we drove back to the ship, with a short pit stop at the tequila place for those who needed a bath room break.

All in all we had a great day, and the rough ride in the jeeps were good for a lot of laughs, so even if you didn't know the people you were driving with, you got to feel pretty relaxed - the tequila might have helped a little :-)

Thanks for the info! I love tequila, lol. Did they happen to offer any bottled water or is there any water to buy ?

• 4 weeks later...

Is this excursion suitable for teenagers (14 & 16)?

• 3 weeks later...
Please keep us posted if you learn anymore about the mayan ruin tour. We typically rent mopeds and venture out on our own to tour the island - to South tip then around to Coconuts on the hill....it's a nice day out n' about. This looks really interesting though - especially as it has never been opened to the public before recently! mrvago@comcast.net -

Where do you rent mopeds from? We'll be in Cozumel in June and want to do that. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I did this excursion mid April. It was about a 10 minute walk from the pier to the Jeep place. The Jeeps were all fairly new (ours had 600km on the odo). The trip was about 55km in length, 20 km on trail which is on the other side of the island, the rest on roads getting to the trail and back. The trail portion of the drive was lots of fun. 10 km in to the small ruins, and 10km back out (stopping at the beach which was about 6 km to the road as a guess). A regular 4x4 person would likely find it tame, but those that don't have the opportunity to 4x4 often, it was a lot of fun navigating the rock piles, the sandy ruts, and the paths through the palms that often had big palm leaves slapping the windshield.

The only real downside was the lack of restrooms anywhere. If you're too shy to find a bush somewhere, you might be in real trouble if you can't hold it for a few hours.

The only other cautionary note is that these Jeeps with the big off-road tires and sloppy off-road steering setup worked superbly on trail, handled like total crap on the paved roads. At one point we got caught behind and had to speed up to catch up. At about 80kph these Jeeps wander around on the road fiercely and requires some extra skill to stay in lane. There was so much drag on these big tires that even going over a mildly rough patch on the dry pavement caused the tire slip indicator to flash on the dashboard. (RC denied my review when I mentioned this).

We just went on this excursion on the April 14 Indy cruise. We also had Angel and Jesus as guides, they were awesome!!! We had a lot of fun, enjoyed the secluded beach, and lunch they served. Only thing is I thought it said snorkel on the description(which we really wanted to do), BUT there was no way we could have done that. The water was pretty rough. It was a great day though! Loved the jeeps. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are two jeep tours offered by RC. The other one (that goes to Punta Sur) lists tequila tasting in the description but this one does not. Since some of the reviews mentioned tequila I wonder if they were for the other tour. Has anyone done this one recently? Does it include a tequila stop? How much off-roading is there or is it just driving on a dirt road?

Wow, I e-mailed the shore excursion contact to try and get more information on this trip. What ruin and what beach is visited? The shore excursion listing provides no photos for either. This is an expensive trip and I would like to know what we are getting, their response is below.

In order to preserve the exclusive nature of our excursions we are unable to disclose the Mayan ruin site or beach name.

Anyone have photos they can post?

• 1 month later...