St. Maarten on a Sunday

Familfof4

Hello,

I need some helping planning our day here please. We'd like to visit a beach for a couple of hours, spend one hour at Maho and then a little shopping before heading back to the ship. Should I book a tour or can this be done on our own? We're a family of four so if the taxi costs will be high, then I am thinking we should just go with a formal tour. All advice and recommendations are welcome. Thank you

The fact that it would be a Sunday has virtually no meaning on St Maarten where just about everything operates 7 days a week. Renting a car is fine (we always have a car when we stay on the island) but be aware that the traffic (when trying to get back to the port) can be a problem. So while we love rental cars on the island, make sure you get yourself back to the port (or close to the port) somewhat early.

If you do not want a car, you might want to take a taxi to Maho and then walk over to Mullet Beach (about a 20 min walk) to enjoy that beach. From there, you can grab a taxi back to town..so your shopping...and then either walk or take the water taxi back to the port. You could also do it the opposite way and taxi from the port to Mullet...later walk to Maho..and then taxi back to town.

Personally, we think that Maho is the most overrated beach on earth :). To be blunt, the beach (or what is left of the beach) sucks! The nearby bar/restaurant is decent and watching planes land (or take off) is fine if that is your thing. Keep in mind that there have been some serious injuries from folks standing along the fence to watch aircraft take-off. When the planes go to full power for take-off...any loose pebbles (or rocks) can fly like a bullet and do real harm. Odds are you will be fine...but there is also a chance you could be injured. When I used to fly small planes, we all knew that nobody ever stood near a jet engine (in front or behind) because it was dangerous. Folks hanging on the fence too close to jet exhaust might be fun...but it is not without a huge risk.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Sunday is a KLM day at Maho so go early and enjoy. From memory not all stores open in town on Sunday and the ones that did tended to open at 1. If you rent a car have a DD there are strict laws re drinking and driving especially on the French side which is stricter than the US laws. Mullet can be very busy o Sundays as the islanders go there for get togethers and parties in the weekends. Simpson Bay is another nearby option to consider.

Thank you all for your responses. I know Maho is not for relaxation but just wanted my teens to experience the airplanes and awesome that KLM is there on Sundays. We will do this by taxi as neither hubby nor I want to drive.