What to do for a day

Fodorista

We will be sailing on a Royal Caribbean ship and spending a day on the island of Roatan. We would like to see a little bit of the island and possibly enjoy a beach, have lunch. What can we do without doing an excursion? Is it safe around the port? Can we walk to a beach, resort? We would like to do something low key, and stay close to the port. Based on other reviews, I don't think i would risk it to get a taxi if I'm not guaranteed a trip back. Any suggestions? Thanks!

We will be sailing on a Royal Caribbean ship and spending a day on the island of Roatan. We would like to see a little bit of the island and possibly enjoy a beach, have lunch. What can we do without doing an excursion? Is it safe around the port? Can we walk to a beach, resort? We would like to do something low key, and stay close to the port. Based on other reviews, I don't think i would risk it to get a taxi if I'm not guaranteed a trip back. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If memory serves, your ship will dock in Coxen Hole, it is the largest of the villages on the island. I have never have a worry walking about town. There is not beach within walking distance.

It is possible to arrange round trip transport with a taxi BUT the taxi are not regulated so haggling will take both energy and time.

I urge you to have chats with the local tours guys, all their private drivers speak English and most of them were born on the island. There rates are per person, they are at your beck and call from the moment you arrive to the moment you go back to the ship. Rony and Bodden come to mind.

West Bay Beach is the premiere beach on the island, it is a 15/20 car ride from Coxen Hole.

If you decide on the private driver to West Bay talk to them about dropping you West End by way of Sandy Bay, you can hop a water taxi to West Bay, on the return ask him go by way of Flowers Bay.

Edited by Guest 2000

Rony of Ronystours.com is fabulous. He has a tour called the "freestyle tour". Basically, you are hiring a private driver for the day. This is a great option. You can stop where you like and stay how long you choose. I love to stop at random places and take photos. You can book the tour and give him an idea of what you'd like to do - but, you can always change your mind as you go.

He is very friendly and reliable. We've used him many times. He will make sure you have a great day for sure!

Thanks! I will look into it. Is there much to do near the port?

There isn't much to do around the port where you will dock. Coxen Hole has some shops and restaurants when you get off the ship and a flea market across the street. It isn't the best area of Roatan.

I would strongly suggest a private tour with Bodden Tours. Very reasonable and you can choose to do what you want to do or ask for suggestions. It was one of my best port days ever. If you decide to book ask for Tex as your guide. He may or may not be available but worth asking.

Have a great day on one of my fav islands.

• 2 weeks later...

In Coxen Hole where you'll be docked there really isn't that much to do and it's not close to a beach.

Do consider booking an excursion either though the ship or with an independent.

Look forward to having a really good time in Roatan! :)