Stroller on board??? RCL Allure of the Seas

embock81

We're going on RCL Allure of the Seas in three weeks to Nassau, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. I'm trying to decide which stroller to take for my 2.7 year old. He definitely needs a stroller as he is a runner and does pretty well in the stroller. I have three options, the BOB Jogging stroller, Bugaboo Bee, or our Maclaren. We will be going to the beach on all three islands so I was leaning towards our BOB even though its a large stroller. I'm hesitant about bring the Bugaboo Bee just because I'm afraid of the airline damaging it and it doesn't have much storage space. We brought the Maclaren on our last cruise (last summer to Alaska) and it worked well but since we will be going to the beach I didn't want to have to lug the stroller and all of his stuff on the sand... As far as space we have a balcony room and last time the Maclaren fit under the beds nicely, the BOB definitely won't fit under the beds. And I definitely want a stroller he can nap in, which all three he can do just fine. Any suggestions?

You will find the beaches in the Caribbean to be quite narrow, so it will be easy to lift and carry whatever stroller you choose. The sand is crushed shell, and it's pretty packed...not like our crushed rock sand that can be sloggy and deep, here in the States....much easier to walk on.

Bring whichever he likes the best and that you can handle the easiest!

Do not bring the Bob - it is way too big for the narrow hallways and elevators on the ship. And you have to store it in your cabin, not the hallways. I would take the Maclaren - you've used it before and have had success with it....and like CB said, the beaches in the Caribbean are not as wide as those in the states usually. Not a long walk at all.

I was tempted to bring our single bob too but after lots of reading decided against the BoB. I think it would bring out the worst in me trying to get down the hall to our room with it folded or opened! Same with bringing a double. If you are the first room next to the elevator it may not be a big deal. I'm going to use the ergo for my DD and our combi stroller for my DS. We used the combi with him when he was 8.5 months on our allure cruise and it worked fine (you really love your bob after pushing something else for a week though).

Do you all think a no frills Cosco Umbrella will be sufficient? We weren't going to bring a stroller but after reading around here, I realized I should bring something.

We have the mamas and papas tour stroller but we don't care for it and my son never likes to sit in it. He's not a stroller kid to begin with, we rarely use one but if we do we use our City Select.

Anyway, I wonder if I should just bring a cheapie Cosco Umbrella or if I should bring the Mamas and Papas. (That one weighs like 13lbs vs the other one being like 7)

We usually do our Maclaren for travel and have done well with it. I just got a BOB duallie since we need a double now, and I love it, but for travel the Maclaren is lightweight, folds easily and compactly and ours reclines. As a PP mentioned, it fits easily under the bed on the cruises and does well navigating around the ship, in our experience.

I think it is very helpful to have a stroller for the times when you have to corral the kiddo in crowds - think: embarkation, disembarkation or if you are walking long distances. If DD doesn't want to ride, we can always just put our backpack in the stroller.

I went on that boat last year, we just borrowed one from the nursery for the week for free. That way I didn't need to take it on the plane.

I wouldn't want to chance getting there and not having one available. Or being disgusted by it :)

Umbrella stroller worked well for us when our son was just shy of 2. That was hard enough to move around in the crowds. Can't imagine using a big one.

Got back today and just wanted to come back and say that I'm so glad we had the stroller. We brought a Cosco Umbrella with a shade (cheap $20 one) and it was perfect.

It really came in handy in Nassau and also when getting on and off the boat. My son normally never sits in a stroller but he was ok with it for these situation because he was tired.

If you're wondering if you should bring one BRING ONE!

Thanks everyone for your experiences and thoughts... We leave next week and I believe I have decided on bringing the Maclaren... As much as I love the other two I think the Maclaren is the best fit... Another thought I'm having is should I bring our Ergo carrier... We used it a lot last August when we went to Alaska but at the time my son just turned two... I'm wondering if I should use it on this trip, it would probably only be for the airport otherwise he'd be in the stroller I'm assuming.. He still fits in the ergo but is on the heavy side (2.7 years old and 30lbs)...

• 1 month later...

I am taking my 23 month Olson that same trip in July! (Allure) Any tips or things you wish you had known? I've decided against the BOB although I will miss it horribly!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just returned from our cruise on the Freedom with our 17 month old and we took our City Mini. I wouldn't hesitate to take it again. It fit in through the cabin doors and was easy to navigate down the halls even while the stateroom attendants had their carts and laundry bags in the hall. Folded up easily and we just stood it on the arm of the sofa closest to the wall. I saw a mix of strollers on the ship. Some umbrella, a few BOB, some higher end. We also have a Maclaren Quest. And after this cruise, I'm soooooooo glad we chose to bring the City Mini. The Maclaren is still bulky when folded up and we would have had to store it in the closet where we were already out of room. Plus a stroller with a large sunshade, which the City Mini has, was way more useful for us. We also ended up using it to hold our smaller bags on embarkation/disembarkation as my son doesn't handle sitting still in lines well. So one of us held him once we had to stop in a line and put our bags in the stroller. That would have been impossible with the Maclaren.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just returned from our cruise on the Freedom with our 17 month old and we took our City Mini. I wouldn't hesitate to take it again. It fit in through the cabin doors and was easy to navigate down the halls even while the stateroom attendants had their carts and laundry bags in the hall. Folded up easily and we just stood it on the arm of the sofa closest to the wall. I saw a mix of strollers on the ship. Some umbrella, a few BOB, some higher end. We also have a Maclaren Quest. And after this cruise, I'm soooooooo glad we chose to bring the City Mini. The Maclaren is still bulky when folded up and we would have had to store it in the closet where we were already out of room. Plus a stroller with a large sunshade, which the City Mini has, was way more useful for us. We also ended up using it to hold our smaller bags on embarkation/disembarkation as my son doesn't handle sitting still in lines well. So one of us held him once we had to stop in a line and put our bags in the stroller. That would have been impossible with the Maclaren.

Ahh...we have a City Mini, so I was wondering about that vs buying another stroller. My concern is using it on the ferry/bus in Bermuda. It's fast to fold, but it's not that lightweight. I was kicking around buying a Chicco Liteway, but I don't want to spend the money on another stroller if I don't have to.

I'd just take your City Mini. Even though it's not super light, it's also not super heavy. It folds up so easy too and with the handle is easy to carry. We carried ours down to and onto the tender boat and just set it up quick once we hit land. Wasn't a problem at all. And when we came back to the ship, we actually just kept our son in it and pushed him onto the tender and then the ship. Super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We have 3 strollers that we use for my son.

The 1st one came with his carseat which is a Graco Click connect set that goes up to 30 pounds. http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/babydepot/Strollers/Travel-System-Strollers/Fold-Click-Connect-Travel-System-Farrow-341635379.aspx

The second is a Graco FastAction Fold Click Connect LX Stroller that our car seat can fit into. http://www.amazon.com/Graco-FastAction-Connect-Stroller-Tangerine/dp/B00AHVR4KG/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1404077381&sr=1-2&keywords=click+connect+jogger

The 3rd which we just bought a week ago is a First Years Ignite Umbrella stroller. http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Ignite-Stroller/dp/B002WB2GAM

Out of all three that we own the umbrella stroller will be the best one to take on the cruise because I have been told the hallways can be too narrow for jogging strollers and hard to get around.

I highly suggest the Ignite umbrella stroller it has a 5 point harness on it and doesn't feel cheap and can move well on grass, dirt, carpet and hard floors. I love it! Umbrella stroller is the way to go if you don't plan on needing car seats!