Boat Deck - QE2

AZ Lady

:confused: I would really appreciate any input you seasoned travelers of the QE2 may have. After reading a few other message boards regarding the subject above, it seems that there is quite a bit of traffic by the staterooms on the Boat Deck because of the Promenade Deck going by the windows, not to mention more than a few have stated that people actually look into your stateroom. Should I request to be moved to another deck? I am in QG and have one of the two single accommodation staterooms on the Boat Deck for the 4/08 E/Bound TA. Thanks for all your help.

One person did post regarding hearing the music from the deck above, but that wouldn't really bother me.

Thanks,

paula

:confused: I would really appreciate any input you seasoned travelers of the QE2 may have. After reading a few other message boards regarding the subject above, it seems that there is quite a bit of traffic by the staterooms on the Boat Deck because of the Promenade Deck going by the windows, not to mention more than a few have stated that people actually look into your stateroom. Should I request to be moved to another deck? I am in QG and have one of the two single accommodation staterooms on the Boat Deck for the 4/08 E/Bound TA. Thanks for all your help.

One person did post regarding hearing the music from the deck above, but that wouldn't really bother me.

Thanks,

paula

I had 8209 twice last year & found it to be highly satisfactory. However, it is a bit like a hotel room rather than a traditional ship's cabin found elsewhere on board but well appointed and comfortable. It is near the main stair towers, Queens Grill lounge/dining room, upper deck of the theatre & the door out on to the promenade deck - all most convenient.

In answer to your specific questions:

There is a good deal of traffic both outside and by the cabin door. However inside, its not a place people tend to linger long. One thing I did notice there is a step just outside 8209 leading from the shops & If someone decides to jump this it can be heard inside the cabin.

If I remember correctly, on the promenade deck there is a bulkhead/piece of ships equipment that juts out and therefore it is unlikely that someone will pass right up against the window. Fellow passengers will often place a steamer chair under the window but I didn't find this troublesome.

Nobody looked in, as far as I am aware, from outside and the net curtains will stop most but the determined who would have to have their nose against the window to stare in I reckon.

The music heard is mainly in the bathroom & I heard mainly drums & occassionally brass instruments. It was always at hour that would not be troublesome & never spoilt my enjoyment of the cruise.

I am due to have 8210 later this year & look forward to sampling this port side cabin.

In summary I would say keep it & enjoy. :)

John

John,

Thank you so much for your reply. I actually have 8210 for the voyage and I will keep it after your reply. Maybe some of the other posts I read were just paranoid people :p Let me know how you like 8210, would you :confused: Again, thanks for your reply.

paula

Hi Paula,

I have had many different QG cabins and actually saw 8209 cabin on my recent cruise which one of my tablemates had in the QG restaurant. He said that a lot of noise could be heard re passing traffic but he was not too disturbed by music / noise from the Grand Lounge. The cabin whilst spacious - it has a double bed, large walk in closet & reasonably sized marble bathroom is a nice cabin - but it is not like the wood panelled 1 & 2 deck QG singles and does lack a bit of character in this respect! That being said it's close to the QG Restaurant so very well located and near one of the main staircases for easy access to all bars & public rooms!

The other main reason why I myself have never chosen one of the two Boat Deck cabins is re the movement in rough weather. This is why I prefer a cabin on the lower decks. On my next QE2 cruise I am in QG cabin 2032 which is larger than the boat deck singles & very spacious + almost a midships location. Other great QG singles are 1086 near the outdoor pool & 2063 next to Midships lobby & 2070 is also a good cabin.

I too am on this e/bound crossing in 2113 PG cabin & look forward to meeting you onboard - from memory is it your very first cruise?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

John,

Thank you so much for your reply. I actually have 8210 for the voyage and I will keep it after your reply. Maybe some of the other posts I read were just paranoid people :p Let me know how you like 8210, would you :confused: Again, thanks for your reply.

paula

The others may well have had a bad experience, I did wonder about people staring in but soon forgot about it once onboard. In fact I turned it round & actually thought it funny that people were walking by so close on the boat deck, I could see them yet I presume that they didn't know I was there. I suppose as these cabins are not original there had to be a compromise in their design.

I have no experience of movement in rough weather in these cabins. Both my cruises were in the spring & summer months and even crossing the Bay of Biscay it was calm. It is a valid point to consider however, though I don't do well on rough seas no matter where I am located on board.

It will be a bit of a wait though as I am not in 8210 until September but I will remember to let you know my opinion on returning. Would like to to the LA to Southampton voyage that includes your crossing, but the long flight to LA puts me off. Give me a sea voyage over air travel every time. :)

John

John,

paula

The others may well have had a bad experience, I did wonder about people staring in but soon forgot about it once onboard. In fact I turned it round & actually thought it funny that people were walking by so close on the boat deck, I could see them yet I presume that they didn't know I was there. I suppose as these cabins are not original there had to be a compromise in their design.

I have no experience of movement in rough weather in these cabins. Both my cruises were in the spring & summer months and even crossing the Bay of Biscay it was calm. It is a valid point to consider however, though I don't do well on rough seas no matter where I am located on board.

It will be a bit of a wait though as I am not in 8210 until September but I will remember to let you know my opinion on returning. Would like to to the LA to Southampton voyage that includes your crossing, but the long flight to LA puts me off. Give me a sea voyage over air travel every time. :)

John

RJ,

yes, this is my first cruise, and have heard the same thing about the higher decks. I have never had a problem with motion sickness, but then I have never been out on the high seas, either.

Archived