Can you see a rocket?

CruiserByHeart

We are a thousand miles away from Cape Kennedy so I sure hope you won't be able to see a smoke trail, the rocket should have too much altitude by then for the naked eye to see it. No glow either unless they've started night launches.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed you're located in the EU so it's about 1,600 kms.

Hi, it seems a rocket will be launched from Cape Kennedy in Florida during our planned visit to Bermuda. Will we be able see the smoketrail? Or the glow if it is at night?

Thanks for your insights ;o)

-Svend

In Bermuda, about as likely that you could see a smoke trail from rocket launch from Cape Kennedy at any time in Copenhagen......

It is possible if there is a rocket launch if your ship was sailing near the Florida coast that you might see a smoke trail. But the ship will be not be sailing that way to Miami. It will sail to Nassau first. The problem is that most launches these days are small rockets, so the ship would have to be close to the Cape and any November launch date would be very tentative.

Edited by Charles4515

It certainly is possible depending on launch time. I'm in NY and have twice seen rockets launched from Virginia. These were night time launches and became visible to me around two minutes after launch when they got high enough in the sky.

Here's a news article on the subject: http://mobile.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160408/rocket-to-launch-near-6pm&template=mobileart

NASA actually has a rocket tracking station on Bermuda as well: https://blogs.nasa.gov/orbital/2016/10/14/update-on-bermuda-tracking-station/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk