Ensenada to do questions

Califor6

If we chose to not do an Ensenada excursion, when docking in June on Imagination....what are the options for the daytime porting?

How close is anything (safe) to do off of the ship without an excursion tour? Walk to shopping, restaurants? Activities-horseback riding, ziplining, etc?

Does the cruise ship provide you with any sort of map,directory to find your way around, if you chose to walk around without a tour guide?

What is the 'blow hole' that I keep reading in postings?

Edited by Califor6

If we chose to not do an Ensenada excursion, when docking in June on Imagination....what are the options for the daytime porting?

How close is anything (safe) to do off of the ship without an excursion tour? Walk to shopping, restaurants? Activities-horseback riding, ziplining, etc?

Does the cruise ship provide you with any sort of map,directory to find your way around, if you chose to walk around without a tour guide?

What is the 'blow hole' that I keep reading in postings?

I have been a few times. I feel comfortable with my two kids - teenagers - in town. We walk from the ship to town. About a 5 - 10 minute walk. Usually we head to the port area and walk around as there is a 'straw' type market. Usually good prices and most of the locations sell the same items. Some very clean and delicious looking places to eat. One time we took a harbor tour for about 25.00 for all of us and it was about 1 plus hours long. Very good deal. We also walk around in town up and down the main streets - not sure of any names but have never felt unsafe ever. For us we walk into town and shop for a few hours and then are back on the ship for lunch and don't leave again.

The first time I was there with my daughter only we took a tour of the blow hole but didn't not book through the ship. There are buses you can take after you cross the 'bridge' to get to town. Usually the price is a set price. You get a narrated tour on the way there and then can spend time at the blow hole even eating at one of the local restaurants and then come back to town via another bus. Again we didn't plan this but took a chance and never felt unsafe.

A blow hole is a rocky spot on the coast where the waves are pushed inside a narrow space in the rocks and shoot up like a geyser. You watch it a couple of times and then you are done.

Ensenada is easy to walk around , shop, get a drink or a meal. No worries!

• 2 weeks later...

Only dangerous things in the tourist are the sidewalks. Uneven curb heights and open utility boxes in the middle of the sidewalks off the main tourist street.

Edited by SadieN

We were just there last saturday; off the ship and just walked around at first; followed the marina all the way down (no vendors allowed on the walkway so very peaceful); then walked through "downtown"; not much going on as it was still too early. Looked in several shops but didn't buy anything (don't need any more knick knacks).

Then, walked to the massage place talked about here on cruise critic and trip advisor (Ensanada massage and facial care) and had the couples massage (my first massage!); it was wonderful. $80 for 1 hour for two people, plus we tipped $10 each.

Then, back to the area around Papas and Beer which was now full and happening; stayed a bit then walked back to the ship.

The ship will provide you with a map but you can just google it and get a better one on line. Easy to walk around. Vendors at the end of the pier with signs for various tours (zip line; whale watching; wineries; horseback riding, etc). Someone at our table for brunch said he went horseback riding on a beach offered by somebody on the pier; $30-he was satisfied.

I've gone twice now and it's fun & affordable. You can take the $2 shuttle bus into town and where it lets everyone off, you can book the tour right then and there. If you want to add a visit to the Blowhole/Outside Flea Market for the combo tour, it's about $50 and you'll be back in plenty of time to catch your ship. I've added a link to the website where the adventure tour is to give you an idea. This place is way cool! I would even camp there if the opportunity arose! :)

http://www.lascanadas.com/en/Canopy-Tour-Zipline-in-Ensenada-Baja-California.php

Enjoy!