Tokyo Logistics

ano

On the way home, we flew out the evening the cruise returned. We took a disembarkation tour through Princess which took us to Meiji Shrine, Asakusa Sensoji Temple and Nakamise-dori shopping street. Our luggage was on the bus and then we were dropped at the airport. We had to be flying out after around 5 pm, I think to be able to take the tour. It was a good tour with an excellent tour guide and although we were at the airport early, it made our last day very easy.

We had to avoid going to these two major tourist places prior to the cruise though!

We will probably do that as well. Out flight is at 5:25pm. We just got the basic transfers from Princess for now as its a bit far out (October) so the tours are not listed.

We did 8 days pre-cruise in Japan prior to our Celebrity Millennium cruise in October 2015. We love Japan and the Japanese people.

You can find your way from either airport, public transportation is fantastic in Japan.

We flew in to Narita on a Delta flight direct from Atlanta. That was great, no stopover, etc.

We found a great hotel at Tokyo Station, which is perfect, since you don't need a taxi (taxis are expensive in Tokyo) to get to the hotel from the airport.

Tokyo Station is centrally located not too far from the Imperial Palace and you have access to public transportation.

We stated at the Hotel Metropolitan Marinucci, just outside the north end of Tokyo Station. Cost was about $175 per night and included breakfast.

Don't miss spending a couple of days in Kyoto. Take the bullet train down from Tokyo.

Here is my review of our trip and cruise:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

I really enjoyed your review. We are interested in going to Nikko but have read that some of the major sites are covered up for restoration and wondering if it was like that when you went and if it is worth going to especially when the main gate is covered up.

I really enjoyed your review. We are interested in going to Nikko but have read that some of the major sites are covered up for restoration and wondering if it was like that when you went and if it is worth going to especially when the main gate is covered up.

We did not see any restoration work at Nikko. That would call for some checking to make sure that you could still see the site. The site is quite large, I would imagine that there is always a lot to see there. Nikko was our second favorite place to see after Kyoto.