Decipher this message from Blue Kay

mitsugirly

I have spent months trying to get in touch with Blue Kay (located at the beginning of the Malecon) in Costa Maya. (They have had a change of hands several times it looks like and just managed to get their official new website up and running lately).

I was finally able to contact them and will be spending the day there while in port in a little over a week now.

We have exchanged emails a few times and I'm still trying to decipher what they are saying (I know there's a bit of a language barrier) and thought maybe you great people can help me out or give me a clue what they may be trying to tell me.

When I ask about a day pass and the cost, I was told: "Yes we offer a day pass that includes all day kayaks, bicycles and snorkel equipment for one person, plus our beach club installations, for $250 pesos."

I wasn't quite sure what the "beach club installations" meant (and assumed that they were just referring to the use of the facilities) and also wanted to clarify the $250 pesos and if they accept US dollars (because according to an online calculator, this equals out to be $18.45 in US dollars) and I wanted to budget for this day and also don't want any surprises along the way as well. I also inquired about the menu and pricing along with drinks.

The response I received was:

"We have chaises, chairs, palapas umbrellas, showers, bathrooms, hammocks, and 200 meters of beach front.

Yes, we accept US Dollars, and the exchange rate chafe but now we are taking the dollars at 12.50.

Soda 25 pesos, Beer 30 pesos , National Drinks, Cocktails and frozen drinks 50 Pesos and food fajitas, fish dishes from 100 - 150 pesos, the most expensive would be lobster at around 300 pesos ( 1 pesos per gram)"

I'm once again left a little confused. What does "exchange rate CHAFE mean? What are they trying to say?

When saying they are taking the dollars at 12.50...are they trying to say that it will be $12.50 per person for the day instead of the exchange rate of 18.45 I ended up getting from my calculator exchange?

My calculations for food and drinks:

Soda=1.86 (25 pesos)

Beer=2.23 (30 pesos)

Frozen drinks=3.71 (50 pesos)

Food=7.42-11.14 (100-150 pesos)

For some reason, these prices seem a little "low" to me compared to what you would normally pay for things like soda, beer, and frozen drinks (but hey, I wouldn't complain about it).

Then of course if their conversion is different (and lower according to their $12.50 comment), then it's even cheaper? I know that currencies can change daily, but this seems to be a big difference to me.

What does everyone else think? Does this sound right? Are my conversions off somehow? Do you think the $12.50 is the entrance fee?

I have a feeling I need to download some type of conversion calculator to bring with me so I can keep track of it somehow.

Would it be easier to just convert my US money into pesos prior to arriving at Blue Kay just to keep it simple? Where would you do this at?

Thanks in advance for you help. :)

Right now $1US = $13.49 pesos (according to google anyhow).... I'm guessing they are telling you that the exchange rate they will be using is $1US = 12.50 pesos. In other words, they aren't giving you quite as high of an exchange rate for the inconvenience it is to them. That can be quite common- it protects them in case the US dollar does really poorly all of a sudden and they are stuck with a whole bunch of them- plus it takes a little off for the inconvenience. So the 250peso entrance fee would cost you $20, rather than the $18.45 the online calculator comes out to. Just take the pesos rate and divide by 12.50.

I think CHAFE is just a typo/translation mistake for change(s).

I think they are using an exchange rate of $1:12.5 pesos, instead of actual, approx 1:13.4 or commonly used for convenience, 1:10.

Right now $1US = $13.49 pesos (according to google anyhow).... I'm guessing they are telling you that the exchange rate they will be using is $1US = 12.50 pesos. In other words, they aren't giving you quite as high of an exchange rate for the inconvenience it is to them. That can be quite common- it protects them in case the US dollar does really poorly all of a sudden and they are stuck with a whole bunch of them- plus it takes a little off for the inconvenience. So the 250peso entrance fee would cost you $20, rather than the $18.45 the online calculator comes out to. Just take the pesos rate and divide by 12.50.

Oh my gosh. Thank you both so much. I would have never figured this out. It all makes sense now and sounds more like the price I would think it should be. Now I will be able to budget appropriately.

THANKS AGAIN! I'm looking forward to visiting some place new now. :)

mitsugirly,

I'm also thinking of spending the day at Blue Kay when I'm in Costa Maya in late December. I noticed the picture of a hobie cat on their web site and I am really hoping that it is available to rent. I'm an experienced sailor so I don't want to be taken out by one of them; I want to sail the boat myself. If you can get any information at all about whether they do this and how much they charge and let me know, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance. :)

mitsugirly,

I'm also thinking of spending the day at Blue Kay when I'm in Costa Maya in late December. I noticed the picture of a hobie cat on their web site and I am really hoping that it is available to rent. I'm an experienced sailor so I don't want to be taken out by one of them; I want to sail the boat myself. If you can get any information at all about whether they do this and how much they charge and let me know, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have a feeling (according to their website) that they take you out.

Hobie Cat

Light ripples on the water surface, the sea breeze and the best view of Mahahual from sea, gliding effortlessly on a sailboat, relaxed only carried by the wind, no engine noise or pollutants.

Enjoy the experience, you'll love it!

Price

• Hobie Cat ride for 1hr $ 500 (max 4 people)
  • Hobie Cat ride to snorkel $ 300 per person
  • Sunset sailing tour $ 500 for 2 people

Anxious to hear about Blue Kay! We are only in port for a few hours and would like a place close by. And this might work for us. Hoping it's within walking distance.

I wouldn't say it would be within walking distance for such a short period of time in port. It's located right at the beginning if the malecon which us a short drive and only $3 to get to.