Christmas on the Legend

cruisingvolsrwe

Christmas isn't just a holiday in the US... so I would definitely assume that shops would close, just like they do here, so people could spend the holiday with their family... just one of the drawbacks of cruising over a International holiday.... sorry :(

Was everyone aware on the Christmas cruise that two of the three ports would be closed? Part of the fun is seeing what the island is like and that is hard to do when there are no shops or people around. Also our rooms were under the disco and you could hear every song.

Well, you aren't going to be at work during Christmas...why should they be?;)

I would have assumed the shops would be closed, just like they are on Sundays in the Bahamas. Also, I always check out the ships decks and see what would be above or below the room I plan to pick. It is also bad to be below the pool deck, because they start putting out the chairs so early, and it seems like they are dragging them around for an hour.

It's a hard lesson to learn. You have to do your homework. There are also national holidays that are only observed in specific ports/countries that you may not even know about. As for cabin location, that's the chance you take with a guarantee.

Speaking of, I know that in Honduras, Catholisism is prevalent, we will be there on Ash Wednesday, so I am wondering if that will affect much.

The island doesn't close on Christmas, there are always beaches, right? Were the shore tours still offered?

We were on the Legend at Christmas. Because I did some enquiries before-hand, I knew that all of the local tour operators would be closed on Christmas Day only and we would probably have to book the ship excursions. The port of Barbados (Christmas Day) was not only open, there were dozens of taxis waiting to show people their island. The Boatyard was also open although we went on the Jolly Roger tour. One of my sons was able to even rent a jet-ski so there were plenty of merchants vying for our dollar!

On Boxing Day at Martinique, many of the shops downtown were closed because it was a Sunday but lots were open and we bought some beautiful champagne to have at the supper club. There were taxis again for tours of the island and several of our group also went on the ferry to the beach.

Carnival offered a couple of dozen excurions per port. Sorry you missed out but part of a good trip is in the planning!

Archived