Question about kids travelling with grandparents

mornac

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone knows the proper procedure with grandparents taking grandchildren on P&O without their parents. A friend of mine wants to take her grandchildren with her on a domestic cruise. What documents does she need? Does she need a signed letter from one parent or both parents? I think she is going to phone them and find out but I was just curious if anyone here has been in that situation

TIA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is proper procedure, but seems to have worked. My son, 12, is travelling with his grandmother to the South Pacific. I sent with him a letter from myself and his father consenting to him travelling with his grandmother. Included was the countries he would visit, his name and date of birth, dates of travel, our names, dates of birth, addresses and phone numbers, my Mum's name, date of birth, address and phone number. I had this certified by a Justice of the Peace (witness to us signing and dating, he signs, dates and stamps). I also sent a copy of my son's birth certificate and a medicare card. They have successfully boarded the ship, once I speak to my Mum, I will come back to tell if they were asked for it or if there were any issues. Hope this helps someone.

Not sure if this is proper procedure, but seems to have worked. My son, 12, is travelling with his grandmother to the South Pacific. I sent with him a letter from myself and his father consenting to him travelling with his grandmother. Included was the countries he would visit, his name and date of birth, dates of travel, our names, dates of birth, addresses and phone numbers, my Mum's name, date of birth, address and phone number. I had this certified by a Justice of the Peace (witness to us signing and dating, he signs, dates and stamps). I also sent a copy of my son's birth certificate and a medicare card. They have successfully boarded the ship, once I speak to my Mum, I will come back to tell if they were asked for it or if there were any issues. Hope this helps someone.

Yes very helpful thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We carried two notarized forms - one issued by the cruise line and another (slightly different) obtained from the Border Services , in addition to passport and original birth certificate to take our little one from Vancouver to Alaska. Cruise rep. photocopied both forms for their records at check-in. Border Services at American customs gave them a cursory glance. Re-entering Canada, we were only asked if we had the form. Nobody actually looked at it.

Traveling to and from Australia you should need nothing other than the normal travel documents, however a letter of authority may be useful in the event of an emergency of needing medical attention.

Traveling to and from Australia you should need nothing other than the normal travel documents, however a letter of authority may be useful in the event of an emergency of needing medical attention.

From the SMARTRAVELLER website.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/children.html

Children travelling alone, with guardians or with one parent

Children travelling alone, with a guardian or with one or both parents are able to depart Australia just with their passport and the appropriate visa for their destination. No additional documentation is required.

However, many foreign countries require additional specific documentation to be carried by children travelling alone, with a guardian or with one parent. Check the entry requirements for children before travelling by contacting the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country you plan to visit.

In addition to a valid passport and the appropriate entry visa, the sorts of documents required for a child to enter, travel in or depart another country may include:

• documentary evidence or a letter that proves the child has the permission of an absent lawful parent or guardian to travel
  • a copy of any separation, divorce or custody decree that proves that you have custody of the child
  • a court order granting you guardianship of the child
  • adoption papers if the child is adopted
  • a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate, particularly if only one parent’s name appears on the birth certificate and the child is travelling with the other parent.

Most airlines have rules regarding unaccompanied minors. Children under the age of 15 who are travelling alone are generally regarded as unaccompanied minors requiring parents or guardians to fill out a permission form for the child’s travel. For further information, including on in-flight protocols for unaccompanied minors, contact the airline you’re planning to fly on or visit their website.

• 2 months later...

I have taken grandaughters on 2 cruises, one with dad so that was no issue.

The other I presented the medicare card showing her name and also had with me but wasnt asked for a letter from both parents stating childs full name, date of birth, both parents details and signatures. The letter authorized me to make any decisions necessary in regard to her care whilst on the ship.

Just today booked another cruise for 2 grandaughters and will be doing the same.