Snorkel excursion stupid question........

BIG_Steve

Perfectly good question! We agonized for years over this.

You can get a large water wallet that you wear around your waist/over shoulder, or a smaller hard case, ditto to wear. Our hard cases over the years have all leaked (O-ring seal).

Now we use a wallet that has triple layers of ziplock, has never leaked. Got it on Amazon: Waterproof Pouch by Blue Sky Basic, 2 for $20. One's transparent so you can see your stuff. Big enough for a camera, cell phone.

But if you go on a chartered excursion, no need to take it into the ocean: it will be perfectly safe on the boat. We just wear them if we go to a public beach with no one to keep an eye on our gear.

You can also get an actual (big) dry bag that will hold a change of clothes, towels, etc.

Edited by sofietucker

• 3 months later...

We leave it on the excursion boat too.

We have a gear bag that we put everything in to keep it organized. You can put your wallet/camera in a Ziploc if you are concerned about getting them wet.

I will note though, that our gear bag is mesh for fast drying, so if you go that route, do not sit the gear bag under the bench... it will probably get wet. We just secure it on the bench (many ways to do that).

AC

Get a dry bag. They come in a variety of sizes and prices. I picked up two at Academy last month for about $20 each. They were 20 or 25 liter sized. Held everything we wanted to put in it and if you close it correctly, it will keep your stuff dry. My wife used to use water wallets, but after a bit of time they have all leaked. You need to care for the gaskets and keep them lubed with silicon.

On an excursion boat, you are probably safe leaving them on board. But I always secure mine inside the dry bag with my own version of security "Markings". I have never had one even opened or handled by anyone that was not in my party.