Montreal and tipping

Host Dan

I'm spending a couple nights in Montreal prior to boarding the ship. Is it OK to tip in American dollars? The reason I ask is that I will only be tipping cash to the bell hops, everything else will be by credit card.

Thanks!

While I'm sure no one will refuse to accept US dollars as a tip, it's as appropriate as giving Canadian dollars to a bellhop in Buffalo - in both cases they might do some cross-border shopping and make use of them directly, or swap them with friends who are going to travel, but basically you're giving them something they cannot use without hassle or taking a hit on value.

Enough Americans visit Montreal that the hotel front desk should break a small bill for you (probably at par) which avoids any up-front fees at currency exchanges or banks.

I have yet to meet a Canadian that will refuse an American bill as a tip. A lot of us cross border shop, so will use the funds eventually. I do find going the other way, I have to be careful, if not near the border to accidentally use Canadian money. For most border towns near Vancouver, they will accept Canadian dollars, no problems at all. As Montreal is encouraging Americans, to visit, you should have no problems there as well.

Montreal is 45 minutes from the US border....many, if not most, of our visitor are from the USA...don't worry, everyone will accept US $...and with the exchange rate your 1$ is 10% more than Canadian $

Everyone in the tourism industry ( hotel, cab, restaurants, etc... ) are well aware and pleased to accept USD.

Have fun !