Air France LAX to PPT

twin123185

Look for Ducklite's review. Believe she was not happy.

We flew regular economy on AF. Flight over half empty and we each got our own row to sleep in. Was glad I hadn't paid for premium economy.

We had a good experience, unlike ducklite.

I had heard the seats were a bit hard, so I actually took a small seat pad, but really, I hardly needed it. Yes, they are the hard-shell seats that slide back and forth, rather than reclining, but were fairly comfortable. Good legroom, wider than economy. And nice service too.

We're probably going to do it again next year when we go back.

Of course, they don't fly every day, so you have to plan around that. We had to stay an extra night after the cruise, and we planned our pre-cruise stay on Moorea around the AF schedule as well.

Where do I begin? I booked our tickets and seats a full year in advance. Had trouble checking in online. Spent well over an hour at the counter at LAX trying to get checked in while they made repeated calls to Paris to get a computer glitch straightened out. They promised our seat assignments were protected, but when we got the boarding passes they had given our seats away and had each of us in different rows in center seats rather then the aisle/window combo we had booked. Had to fight for another 20+ minutes to get our original seats back.

Got on the plane and the seats were rock hard. Seriously the most uncomfortable seats I have ever flown in--and I'm a million miler. The PE lav was broken and they expected us to go all the way to the back of the bus to stand in line for the one in economy. Additionally my seat was broken and stained. The IFE was terrible. There are no air vents, the cabins was hot and stuffy. I asked for an extra bottle of water (they give you a six ounce bottle for a six hour flight--absurd!) and was given a huff and a "I'll give you one this time" from a flight attendant who was having too much fun canoodling with a couple of economy passengers hanging out with her and their friend who was seated in business near the galley.

On the return we had the same experience. They couldn't get us checked in, again gave away out seats which we had to fight to get back--told us a flat out lie as well. Same plane, lav and seat were still broken over a week later. Different flight attendant was nicer on the return though and offered a second round of water and wine. The seats have fixed armrests so you lose seat width.

Frankly if we ever go again we will travel via Hawaii or New Zealand. Never again on Air France--even if it means flying through LHR to get to Paris in 2017.

Well, as I said, I disagree with almost everything that ducklite says about AF PE. I'm trying to remember if we had trouble getting water in the middle of the night, maybe, but that's often a problem. And as I said, take a small seat cushion if you're worried about the hardness of the seats. Admittedly not quite as comfortable as British Airways PE seats, but the service was every bit as good, if not better.

If they are still flying there next year, we intend to use them again to go back to FP.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Well, as I said, I disagree with almost everything that ducklite says about AF PE. I'm trying to remember if we had trouble getting water in the middle of the night, maybe, but that's often a problem. And as I said, take a small seat cushion if you're worried about the hardness of the seats.

If they are still flying there next year, we intend to use them again to go back to FP.

You disagree that we stood in line for well over an hour coming and going, the lav was broken, and my seat was broken in both directions? Were you there? Another poster in these boards who was on the same flight shared a similar experience. Also it is a fact that there are no air vents and the cabin gets stuffy.

I have never had a problem getting a bottle or cup of water on any other carrier. BA, UA, U.S./AA all flown in the past 14 months.

Edited by ducklite

Sounds like Ducklite was having a bad day. (Did you know that PE on AF allows you to use the First and Business Class check-in positions?) Never had a problem with PE on Air France on the SFO-CDG run on either the 777 or A380. Now flying to PPT, we haven't used the AF service because the departure/arrival times are terrible. We much prefer the afternoon departure on TN and the 11pm-12midnight return.

Sounds like Ducklite was having a bad day. (Did you know that PE on AF allows you to use the First and Business Class check-in positions?) Never had a problem with PE on Air France on the SFO-CDG run on either the 777 or A380. Now flying to PPT, we haven't used the AF service because the departure/arrival times are terrible. We much prefer the afternoon departure on TN and the 11pm-12midnight return.

Did you ever stop to think that we DID use the first/business class check in? We waited at the COUNTER! My second post should have been that we waited at the counter after waiting in line for the counter to open--we were first in line both directions after not being able to check in online or over the phone.

We were the first in line at PPT on the way back, anticipating that we would have problems again, which we did.

There was a glitch in the AF software. They lied through their teeth to us about several things, including the comedy show at PPT where again we had to wait and wait, and again they gave away our seats, and again we had to fight to get them back, and then they lied and said they had called the people they gave our seats to and those people agreed to move. Uh huh. Considering we watched the guy the entire time and he never picked up a phone.

Edited by ducklite

You disagree that we stood in line for well over an hour coming and going, the lav was broken, and my seat was broken in both directions? Were you there? Another poster in these boards who was on the same flight shared a similar experience. Also it is a fact that there are no air vents and the cabin gets stuffy.

I have never had a problem getting a bottle or cup of water on any other carrier. BA, UA, U.S./AA all flown in the past 14 months.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. What I *meant* was that none of these things happened to me. I have had broken seats, and I know it's a pain. There were no ventilation problems on our flights.

I was on the same flight as Ducklight and I can confirm that check in was the worst I have ever experienced. We had pre-checked and when I tried to check my tickets before getting into the terminal, I kept getting error messages. Then, when at the terminal, my wife and I were second in line. We found out that since the flight had been bumped back to take off after midnight, anyone who had already checked in had lost their seats and tickets. TThey had to rebook us. People who had not been checked in were getting upgraded to the seats that had been lost. Eventually, the AF staff figured out what was going on and stopped giving up people's seats, but that was after nearly an hour. The whole fiasco caused a big delay in departure and I think we took off two hours after we were originally scheduled.

I will say, though, that the AF staff was exceptional and as helpful as they could be given the circumstances. On the return flight, we were delayed at customs and one of the last to come through. They stayed with the flight's baggage until we came to pick it up.

The flight itself wasn't bad. Never had any issues getting things I needed. The seats weren't exactly comfortable, but I've sat in a lot worse. Anyone who's done a non-stop from Hawaii to DFW can attest to the joke that AA provides with their 767's. I would take an Air France 777 over that any day.

Would I fly AF again? It depends on how much it would save me.