credit card surcharge at hotels?

pv girl

In checking hotel websites, whether the actual hotel sites or the usual discount sites, I notice most all have a notice that payment by credit card incurs a charge - usually 1 1/2 %. I found this unusual, as most European hotels do not do this. Have only seen this in smaller mom and pop B&B type places, and understandable maybe they cannot afford the charge levied to them by the card companies and want us to absorb it. I know some credit cards themselves charge a currency conversion fee, but for the hotel to charge a "usage fee" on top of this seems odd. Can anyone in Oz or NZ explain why - and would this also be the case for other credit card charges, e.g. restaurants, shops - or is it just for hotels. Found this at even high-end hotels

and international chain type hotels.

In checking hotel websites, whether the actual hotel sites or the usual discount sites, I notice most all have a notice that payment by credit card incurs a charge - usually 1 1/2 %. I found this unusual, as most European hotels do not do this. Have only seen this in smaller mom and pop B&B type places, and understandable maybe they cannot afford the charge levied to them by the card companies and want us to absorb it. I know some credit cards themselves charge a currency conversion fee, but for the hotel to charge a "usage fee" on top of this seems odd. Can anyone in Oz or NZ explain why - and would this also be the case for other credit card charges, e.g. restaurants, shops - or is it just for hotels. Found this at even high-end hotels

and international chain type hotels.

It is becoming more common I'm afraid most slice stations seem to add it now (gas stations). Some restaurants charge it. Many places charge it on certain card types (or charge a higher rate). I haven't seen it at many hotels but last weekend stayed at one that when I went o pay said they'd charge it on MasterCard but not Visa.

Basically it is because the credit card companies charge such high merchant fees.

We often stay at hotels in the Accor chain (which includes Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis, etc) and they always add 2% if you are using a credit card to pay your bill. So I always use a debit card in these places.

Yes, it has become much more common in recent years, though I can't say I have struck it in any restaurants we have been to yet. But we don't dine out that often.

You also have to watch out for the "public holiday surcharge", when 15% is added to your restaurant bill if it is a public holiday. This is to cover higher staff costs on these days.

We often stay at hotels in the Accor chain (which includes Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis, etc) and they always add 2% if you are using a credit card to pay your bill. So I always use a debit card in these places.

Yes, it has become much more common in recent years, though I can't say I have struck it in any restaurants we have been to yet. But we don't dine out that often.

You also have to watch out for the "public holiday surcharge", when 15% is added to your restaurant bill if it is a public holiday. This is to cover higher staff costs on these days.

Some restaurants are adding a surcharge on Sundays too.

Funny that other business that pay penalty rates ie shops and hotels etc haven't caught onto this rort yet.

Yes, even cruise lines, airlines and other smaller shops charge it, and also taxis. It depends where you shop as to how much you see it, but it's not uncommon. It's just passing through the cost, or an approximation, because they can.