cruise for 2017

Hi we are Canadians who cruise during January cold winter month here.

Looking to book a cruise and two week visit after or before. We normal cruise carnival but want to know more about which cruise itinerary you recommend. Would like a 7 day or higher cruise. Not at all familiar with you countries and the ports. This gonna be another off our bucket list. We are in our mid fifties active (for now lol) more of a do it yourself type couple not big on booking things to do at every port. Can't wait to visit this region of the world. Will be coming for 4 weeks so a cruise and time to enjoy what you have down under.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to give me any info you can

Steffany & Ron

There are a few options with cruises out of OZ at that time of the year. P&O, Princess, Carnival and RCI all have cruises to the Pacific Islands and New Zealand. With the Pacific Islands in January it can be a bit hit or miss weather wise due to the possibility of cyclones.

Princess tend to cater for a more mature age group and operate cruises to NZ from both Sydney and Melbourne which last 13-14 nights. It is easy to do your own touring in NZ. How ever there are times when it would be worth considering doing full day ship tours especially at Tauranga where there is the chance to venture into the thermal area of Rotorua.

New Zealand has a similar culture to Australia and a trip of this nature will give you a chance to experience both countries.

Good luck with this.

A little more info needed such as how much time have you for land based tours v ship time.

Australia is huge and also encompasses the South Pacific Islands as well as New Zealand. Popular cruises are circumnavigations of the continent that includes New Zealand ports or cruises top end or bottom end from either Sydney or Perth.

Most cruise lines visit our shores during Oct to Apr. Carnival Australia is limited to the East Coast and Pacific Island group.

P&O Aust are older ships but have interesting itineraries including small ports in Papua New Guinea.

Celebrity has Equinox sailing between Sydney Australia and Aukland New Zealand.

Royal Caribbean has 5 ships with Voyager, Explorer, Radiance, Legend and Ovation of the Seas.

HAL, Seabourne, NCL and a heap of others also visit. I am sure you will find something to suit.

Jan, Feb, March is hot and wet in the north of the country but Oct/Nov is too cold and early to sail out to New Zealand for example. If you wish to include New Zealand then Jan/Feb would be good but be aware that school hols are all of Jan so prices are inflated and small fry could bother you.:)

Short version of what went missing.

Fly to Aukland, have about a week.

Cruise to Sydney, preference one that includes Hobart and Melbourne (about 2 weeks).

Week in Sydney.

Cut your stays at either end if necessary.

Fly home.

Remember Australia is about the same size as Canada, so you won't get to see a lot in a week that's why I suggest a cruise that includes Hobart and (if possible) Melbourne.

Be aware that the earlier in January you cruise the more under 18s are on ships as our summer school holidays go through to the last week of January mostly. I don't mind kids in general but they can be more than 1/3 on some cruises. New Zealand would generally have less over load of kids I think, as South Pacific is very popular with families.

We had had some very good prices on cruises that start in that last week of January, as I think a lot of people that don't want to sail with heaps of kids are looking at Feb/March.

I like the idea from Gut of arriving in one country and Cruising to the other (NZ/AUS or Aus/NZ) as you cut out 2 or 3 sea days that way.

There are a lot of very helpful people on the forum here, and if you have a bit more specifics like Cassamanda said, then you can narrow down the options better possibly.

See this is what I love about this site true ideas shared

I love the idea of flying in one place cruise to couple and then train ride sounds fantastic. So here is what I get from all of you

1 Summer school holidays Jan prices up thks love kids so non issue

2 can visit two countries cruise for south pacific countries and see more of austriala

See this is what I love about this site true ideas shared

I love the idea of flying in one place cruise to couple and then train ride sounds fantastic. So here is what I get from all of you

1 Summer school holidays Jan prices up thks love kids so non issue

2 can visit two countries cruise for south pacific countries and see more of austriala

The fly cruise tain one will however need about 4 weeks in total though I think the Aukland -Perth cruise is 16 days.

There's another option, but might be a bit time consuming

Fly to Aukland cruise to Perth, Indian Pacific train to Sydney fly home.

I too was going to offer up the Aukland to Perth cruise idea but then fly to wherever you need to as the Indian Pacific is VERY expensive. Maybe even fly Perth to Adelaide and then train, or even a bus tour along the Great Ocean Road?

I too was going to offer up the Aukland to Perth cruise idea but then fly to wherever you need to as the Indian Pacific is VERY expensive. Maybe even fly Perth to Adelaide and then train, or even a bus tour along the Great Ocean Road?

Indian Pacific is a crazy price, agree, we are about to do a Circumnavigation of Aus ans at one stage looked at cruising half way and Indian Pacific he other (we weren't sure which to do first tain or cruise). It was less $$$ to do the whole cruise and gave us an extra two weeks travel just crazy.

Yep a 33 night cruise was less than a 17 night cruise and a couple of days on the train.

I like your idea about fly to Adelaide and a Great Ocean Road bus tour, they could then train to Sydney which isn't expensive, I think a train journey is a great way to see countryside without having to drive. But time will be an issue by the sounds of it.

Indian Pacific expensive?

Depends on how you look at it. If they charged any less I dont think they could operate .

Its certainly not cheap, but then it happens to be one of the worlds most unique journeys......it is the longest stretch of straight railway line anywhere in the world....400 miles.

It is certainly a bucket list item and if one is considering the trip it should be undertaken sooner rather than later as there is a risk that upkeep and maintenance costs could lead to its closure .If that ever happened I dont think it would ever reopen.

That would be a sad loss.

Indian Pacific expensive?

Depends on how you look at it. If they charged any less I dont think they could operate .

Its certainly not cheap, but then it happens to be one of the worlds most unique journeys......it is the longest stretch of straight railway line anywhere in the world....400 miles.

It is certainly a bucket list item and if one is considering the trip it should be undertaken sooner rather than later as there is a risk that upkeep and maintenance costs could lead to its closure .If that ever happened I dont think it would ever reopen.

That would be a sad loss.

Compared with similar trips in other parts of the world it's actually quite reasonable.

Compared with similar trips in other parts of the world it's actually quite reasonable.

Yeah, it's a bit like comparing the cost of an RCL cruise with a True North, Orion or other 'boutique' lines.

The large line model is to bring on more passengers, and then make money from onboard purchases. And to go where the money is. The ships carry many more people than the train, spend much less on staff costs, and make much more per person from them in onboard revenue.

Yeah, it's a bit like comparing the cost of an RCL cruise with a True North, Orion or other 'boutique' lines.

The large line model is to bring on more passengers, and then make money from onboard purchases. And to go where the money is. The ships carry many more people than the train, spend much less on staff costs, and make much more per person from them in onboard revenue.

I'm not quite following your logic.

I was comparing it with the Royal Scotsman, the Eastern & Orient Express and the Maharajah's Express, all of which I've been on and which offer a train experience, not just a train trip. The Indian Pacific's prices are similar or cheaper than those trains.

I'm not quite following your logic.

I was comparing it with the Royal Scotsman, the Eastern & Orient Express and the Maharajah's Express, all of which I've been on and which offer a train experience, not just a train trip. The Indian Pacific's prices are similar or cheaper than those trains.

I wasn't comparing it to other trains, but saying it's not an equal comparison to compare it to a mainstream cruise experience, as they're different commercial situations and experiences. The quote was agreeing with your comment, and building off it, in a different direction.

Edited by The_Big_M

I wasn't comparing it to other trains, but saying it's not an equal comparison to compare it to a mainstream cruise experience, as they're different commercial situations and experiences. The quote was agreeing with your comment, and building off it, in a different direction.

I think it was the different direction that confused me :p;):D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ