Just Back from San Juan

CaribbeanBound

San Juan, Puerto Rico

7:00am - 2:00pm. Given that the forts don't open until 9am, we slept in and left the ship at 8:30am for a leisurely 20-minute walk up the hill to Castillo San Cristobal, which you can partially see from the ship. Both San Cristobal and the better known El Morro fort are very impressive, massive structures worth detailed exploring. The combined fortresses and connecting wall are designated as a United Nations World Heritage site. San Cristobal, covering 27 acres, is the largest fortification built by the Spanish in the New World. Yes, it's actually larger than its more famous sister El Morro.

Cost is $5.00 per person for one or both sites --- just save and show your receipt --- or free with the Senior Pass and Golden Age Passport. [Price current as of January 2015]. Don't make the mistake of hiring a taxi, unless you are physically unable to walk up a hill. It is pretty easy to walk to both sites as places are closer than they appear on maps. Highly recommend visits to both which offer lots of history, information, and picture opportunities. Adventurous kids and adults alike will enjoy crossing over the drawbridges (which span dry moats), exploring numerous tunnels, unique stairwells, arched passageways, barracks, storerooms, ramparts, cannons and dungeons. Each fort also offers a gift shop with cold bottled water for under $2.

The walk from San Cristobal to Castillo San Felipe del Morro (El Morro) is an easy 20-minute walk via the city wall walkway parallelling the sea. You can also take a free US Parks Service shuttle between the two forts, or wait for the free hop-on/hop-off trolley. However you may have to wait a long time as these are often packed, and yes, you can also catch the trolly from a stop near the port to both forts.

El Morro is a real gem of a fort, with 6 levels and 60-foot walls overlooking the ocean. It also features a pair of spiral stairwells, one of which is triangular. Even the restrooms in El Morro offer picturesque views. (You won't find a restroom anywhere with better vistas). It's a 30-minute walk back to the ship from El Morro.

For pictures of all of the ports please see:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/constellation2.html

• 2 weeks later...
San Juan, Puerto Rico

7:00am - 2:00pm. Given that the forts don't open until 9am, we slept in and left the ship at 8:30am for a leisurely 20-minute walk up the hill to Castillo San Cristobal, which you can partially see from the ship.

Great post but I got a chuckle out of this line. A bit of an oxymoron, most wouldn't be call it sleeping in if you were able to get off the ship by 8:30am.

I don't have time to read all the postings here, so I thought I would ask.

My friend cannot do a lot of walking like myself. Is there a tour or even a Taxi that we could take, that would take us around San Juan, that would be fairly cheap in price? If so, what is the name of the tour, or what would the Taxi possibly charge for an hour or two?

San Juan has a beach but it's not within easy walking distance from the ship.

You can spend as much or as little time at the forts as you like. I love to explore. 3 hours is plenty between both forts. Allow 4 hours total to include leisurely walking to both forts and back to ship. If you don't have that much time, or don't like to explore all the nooks and crannies, you can cut it back.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't have time to read all the postings here, so I thought I would ask.

My friend cannot do a lot of walking like myself. Is there a tour or even a Taxi that we could take, that would take us around San Juan, that would be fairly cheap in price? If so, what is the name of the tour, or what would the Taxi possibly charge for an hour or two?

When we got off the ship there were several tour guides at the pier. Not sure if we just lucked out, but there was a woman that just charged us $15/pp. She had a nice a/c van and was very friendly and informative. She took us to many points of interest and the tour lasted a little over 2 hours :)

Oh thanks for letting me know we could probably get someone to take us around for a couple hours to see San Juan for $15 pp. If we would ask, would they stop for us to take a picture, etc. if we wished? Did they show you the "highlights" of San Juan?

Oh thanks for letting me know we could probably get someone to take us around for a couple hours to see San Juan for $15 pp. If we would ask, would they stop for us to take a picture, etc. if we wished? Did they show you the "highlights" of San Juan?

Yes, we did this 2x and it was pretty good tour for $15.

I'm sure they probably would. She took us many places. It was about 2 years ago, so I really don't remember everywhere we went, but I do know that we went to one of the Forts and got out, we went by the oldest church then if you wanted out downtown to shop she let you off there, if not, she took you back to the ship. It was very nice and informative. I really don't think we could have done better if we had booked before we got there, which we normally do. :)

mhurley0504, thanks for getting back with me.

So, is it alright to ASK ahead of time how much they would charge to take us around for an hour or two, or do they already have set prices? We don't need to see everything, just go (I have been but my friend has not, and I know she cannot do all the walking) to the high part of San Juan, and to the low part, so my friend can get an idea of what San Juan is all about.

mhurley0504, thanks for getting back with me.

So, is it alright to ASK ahead of time how much they would charge to take us around for an hour or two, or do they already have set prices? We don't need to see everything, just go (I have been but my friend has not, and I know she cannot do all the walking) to the high part of San Juan, and to the low part, so my friend can get an idea of what San Juan is all about.

It's definately OK to ask. Actually as I said there were several tour guides when we got off the ship and they were shouting out their prices :) As I said, this was 2 years ago, but I would assume they still come. There were at least 10 different people. :)