Just found out i'm Pregnant- Any tips?

Prinycesa07

We just found out last week that we are expecting baby #3. We sail next Sunday. I'm nervous about morning sickness. I imagine it mixing with Sea sickness would not be fun. I got terrible morning sickness with my daughter right around 6 weeks (which is what i will be on the cruise). Not much with my son though. But in the last few days i've already noticed the nausea coming and going for a moment or so. Any tips for battling morning sickness on the ship? Anyone know if those wrist bands with the balls actually help? Do they have saltines on board? Anyone cruise in early pregnancy and notice that they were sick more often because of the moving of the ship? Thanks mamas :cool:

Congratulations on baby #3! I sailed at 14 and 21 weeks and didn't have morning sickness at all, so I can't comment on that from personal experience, but friends have used the wrist bands and said they worked. I never noticed any saltines though so I would suggest you bring some in snack bags so you have them readily on hand. My only tip would be to drink plenty of water, especially in port. Dehydration is common and dangerous during pregnancy. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Ginger- I'll bring some! Great idea thanks!

And yes totally forgot about the dehydration making It worse. I was last pregnant with my son almost 4 yrs ago so I've forgot things! Water water water. I sailed when I was 16 weeks with my son and that was the perfect time. No morning sickness, not big & uncomfortable.

Thanks girls!

I'd check with your doctor. I sailed later (14 weeks) and my doctor's biggest concern was dehydration if I were to get sea sick. He told me to start with ginger ale if I felt it coming on and to take 1/2 to 1 Dramamine if necessary (and go to the infirmary for nausea meds if it got really bad). He said that the little bit of Dramamine would be better than dehydration.

Take some saltines with you. The ship will probably have them but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

I had only one (she's now 16), but didn't have morning sickness at all (ducking now). We had decided to get in one last cruise in when I was about four months along, but it was a short 3-day cruise (more because of hubby's schedule than mine, even though I didn't want to burn up too many vacation days as I was going to combine them with my maternity leave).

My ob-gyn, who is a fan of going on cruises, said an absolute yes to my going. He reminded me to just follow the prenatal pamphlet and I'll be fine. I thought I would have problems as I was already in my 40s by then, but the only real problem I had was a loose crown. I was given a temp, which kept popping off or being swallowed. So it cut down on my dining choices.

I usually suffered from motion sickness, but since we didn't really go that south (where the California current is), we didn't have bad seas. It makes sense to ask your doctor for suggestions on what to take. I don't eat seafood, but it's worth asking what you should avoid if you do eat seafood. Stay away from soft cheese and drink a ton of water.

As it turned out, there were quite a few of us in maternity bathing suits on the sun deck on that cruise.

I'm guessing my daughter's prenatal cruise made her unsusceptible to motion as she can read in moving vehicles (I can't) and even rough seas don't bother her at all.

I cruised around 19 weeks with my last pregnancy, so beyond the morning sickness phase, BUT if you have any foods that help with nausea you might bring them along (munching on Parmesan goldfish and slowly sipping water helped keep nausea at bay with both my pregnancies, so I always had them at my desk at work during the first trimester). If you have a packaged go-to snack you might bring it along, the ginger ale idea is good too, and for sure bring a water bottle to stay hydrated

We did an extended family cruise a few years back. My sister's family had never cruised and were convinced they were going to be seasick the entire cruise. So I brought 4 full ounces of "ginger nibs" from Penzey's Spices (they have retail stores across the country and mail order). They are small cubes of candied ginger.

DS and her son were fine, but my Aunt's DIL was about 8 weeks along and had horrible morning sickness starting a few days before the cruise. She soldiered on, but the only thing that seemed to help her on or off the ship were the ginger nibs. She always had one in her mouth :D

Good luck

Get a note from your dr stating you are ok to travel. Otherwise if you get sick several times they may assume the worst and quarantine you thinking you have noro

Excellent point! Technically cruise lines require a fit to travel form or letter if a passenger is pregnant. Needless to say, this early it wouldn't be obvious & you could get away without it, but if you get sick a lot it you'd probably want it with you.

if saltines (or something else) help, I'd bring them. Before bed every night I eat a handful of oyster crackers and grab a handful as soon as I wake up. Always helps me. I always drink A LOT of water. The dehydration def. makes it worse. A lot of small meals also helped. If I waited too long to eat my stomach got upset and I felt awful. Then once I eat, even worse! Have fun!!

I sailed last year when I was 4 weeks along. I took ginger pills and the wrist acupressure band just in case. Thankfully no severe morning sickness or sea sickness. Had to curb my activities though...no jet skiing or dune buggy for me.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was 10 weeks preggers with DD and sailed. I was kind of hit or miss with the morning sickness. The boat didn't make it worse.

BUT - my hormones were so out of whack that I BURNED WORSE THAN EVER IN MY LIFE.

I have always been one of those lucky people that can get tan lines on my feet wearing flip flops to the mail box and back in July. Even wearing SPF30, I got burned up. And no, it wasn't old. We'd just got it for the cruse the summer before.

I did take the wrist bands. I take them every time but never need them.

I never saw saltines on any boat I've been on. (Or Goldfish, FWIW LOL)

Ginger is a good plan. Lots of water is good too. Dr. Note is great idea!

Last March I cruised when I was 8 weeks pregnant with DS. I had "morning" sickness 24/7 and the smell of certain foods (e.g. hot dogs, fish, red wine) made it worse. I avoided some of the buffet areas to help with that.

I took along chewing gum, ginger chews and wristbands. I was nervous to take much in my first trimester but ended up with a prescription for ondansetron (Zofran) for bad nausea (I was pretty sick until 24 weeks). Be sure to stay hydrated, rest when you can, and try to relax. I definitely recommend the doctor's note to insure that you aren't quarantined if you get sick.

Have a great time! Although I wasn't feeling awesome, I loved that cruise--it was great to get away and the sounds of the ocean helped distract me from not feeling great. :)

We did an extended family cruise a few years back. My sister's family had never cruised and were convinced they were going to be seasick the entire cruise. So I brought 4 full ounces of "ginger nibs" from Penzey's Spices (they have retail stores across the country and mail order). They are small cubes of candied ginger.

DS and her son were fine, but my Aunt's DIL was about 8 weeks along and had horrible morning sickness starting a few days before the cruise. She soldiered on, but the only thing that seemed to help her on or off the ship were the ginger nibs. She always had one in her mouth :D

Good luck

You can usually find candied ginger in many grocery stores, too. Just ask a a store employee.

I've seen saltines -- often waiters will give them to toddlers.

I sailed at 10 weeks. I wore the bands the first two days and then was fine. I also was very aware of drinking water and relaxing. To this day it was the easiest least stressful trip we took. Congrats & enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If my dates are right you have already sailed :), but we went on a cruise this past January with another couple where both of us found out we were pregnant after the final cancellation date. I was 14 weeks at cruise time, she was around 7 or 8 I believe.

I had morning sickness up until the day before we left, and it came back as soon as we came home, go figure. But the whole cruise, I was fine!

She on the other hand, was in the thick of it. I think you just have to go into it knowing it's not going to be like a "normal" cruise and be ok with what it is. She still really enjoyed the cruise and had a great time, but was ok with just relaxing a lot, and didn't get disappointed if she felt like going to bed early or skipping dinner one night.

Anyone know if they sell ginger ale on the ship? We're sailing Norwegian if that makes a difference.

NCL has ginger Ale, but not Diet Ginger Ale. I always bring 4 cans of Diet Ginger Ale for Sea sickness, but I've never needed it. I also wear wrist bands which can also be helpful if morning sickness strikes. I've heard you should keep your belly full, don't skip meals, and don't wait more than 4 hours apart for meals. Don't worry about gaining extra weight from the food. Skip the elevators and enjoy strolls around the ship after each meal.

Congratulations....get some rest on this cruise...you're going to be busy next fall.:)

I sailed at 10 weeks. I wore the bands the first two days and then was fine. I also was very aware of drinking water and relaxing. To this day it was the easiest least stressful trip we took. Congrats & enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Mrs, bean,

That was a great cruise! You were too excited to feel sick!

We are sailing on the GEM again next January for the 9 day Carribean...come join us. We loved the Breakaway, but it would be the same ports as last February...probably same shows.

Trivia nut PAT

PS Tessa cut off 6 inches of hair at pre-school...a definite 911 hair day!

Loving a 4 year old!

You can usually find candied ginger in many grocery stores' date=' too. Just ask a a store employee. [/quote'] You can also find it in many well-stocked grocery stores in the baking department. But the stuff you get from Penzy's (or even better if there is one around you! The Spice House -- Milwaukee, Chicago) -- fresh and much better quality. What I've managed to scrounge up elsewhere can sometimes be a bit disappointing!:)