Looking for suggestions for Cannes/Nice

Jen85024

We are cruising next May and stopping in Cannes. I'd like to go to both Cannes and Nice - what's the best way to travel between the 2 and have the time needed in Nice on our own? Bear in mind I am traveling with a couple of older people who have a hard time walking. Would like to go to Castle Hill and old town area in Nice. Looked at train station but it looks like this would involve a far walk. What other transportation options are there?

Train from Cannes to Nice.

Taxi from station to Promenade des Anglais in front of the Albert I garden.

Little train around the Flower Market, Old Nice and the castle hill. http://www.trainstouristiquesdenice.com/en/petit-train-nice.php

Then decide where you want to be left off if you want more time around the Flower Market, etc. Or take the short walk from the Albert I garden to the Flower Market.

If after sightseeing you end up around the Place Massena, you can take the tram back to one block from the train station. If your companions have real difficulty walking, take a taxi back to the train from wherever you are outside the pedestrian area. Taxis are plentiful.

Edited by marazul

Thank you marazul! Appreciate the suggestions!

The Ho-ho service at Nice is good way of seeing beyond the Old Town. When we did this in 2013 it was about €20. We walked from the tender dock at Cannes to the station and took the train to Nice. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]OXW5R66Td2o[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]gO4Luc3h41k[/YOUTUBE]

Good idea for the Ho-Ho bus. As Tony says, it does not go into old Nice or the castle hill.

If you are curious about "la tete carree" (square head) building in the video clip, it contains the administrative offices of the Nice library system.

I was curious so I looked this up. The ho-ho bus is called L'Open Tour de Nice. There is a stop right across the street from the train station. The first bus at the train station leaves at 11 am. The second stop after the train station is the Promenade des Anglais, right about where the little train starts. You can get back on at the same place after the little train and complete the whole circuit to return to the train station. The buses run every 30 minutes and the whole circuit takes over an hour.

If the times work for you, your traveling companions will not have to do much walking at all.

http://www.nice.opentour.com/en/interactive-map/

Is there anything to see within walking distance at the port in Cannes?

Absolutely :). Assuming you are capable of walking a couple of miles during the day, most of the best parts of town are within walking distance...and walking is actually quite pleasant. Cannes is a tender port and you are tendered into a small pier in the old port area (next to a parking lot). When you exit the port there is a sandy (and free) beach to your left and town is straight ahead past the Marina (full of many interesting boats). As you stroll past the Marina there are several large cafes/restaurants on your left across the street. Once you reach the end of the Marina you can turn right...and Cannes is right there! There is also a petite train that runs a regular schedule around the city...and is a good way to see the town for those with mobility issues (or too lazy to walk). Once you reach the end of the Marina and make the right turn you will see the large convention center (home of the Cannes film festival). Walking along the water you will see the famous beach on your right and some famous hotels (like the Majestic and the Carlton) on your left. Most of the shopping is along the 3 or 4 blocks closest to the water. Just be careful of the prices as Cannes does have quite a few high end shops. You can easily buy a 400€ mens swim suit (Villebrequin) or you could also find a 20€ suit if you go inland 2-3 blocks.

If you tire of Cannes you could walk to the train station and grab a train to some other towns such as Antibes or even Nice (about an hour train ride).

Hank

Absolutely :). Assuming you are capable of walking a couple of miles during the day, most of the best parts of town are within walking distance...and walking is actually quite pleasant. Cannes is a tender port and you are tendered into a small pier in the old port area (next to a parking lot). When you exit the port there is a sandy (and free) beach to your left and town is straight ahead past the Marina (full of many interesting boats). As you stroll past the Marina there are several large cafes/restaurants on your left across the street. Once you reach the end of the Marina you can turn right...and Cannes is right there! There is also a petite train that runs a regular schedule around the city...and is a good way to see the town for those with mobility issues (or too lazy to walk). Once you reach the end of the Marina and make the right turn you will see the large convention center (home of the Cannes film festival). Walking along the water you will see the famous beach on your right and some famous hotels (like the Majestic and the Carlton) on your left. Most of the shopping is along the 3 or 4 blocks closest to the water. Just be careful of the prices as Cannes does have quite a few high end shops. You can easily buy a 400€ mens swim suit (Villebrequin) or you could also find a 20€ suit if you go inland 2-3 blocks.

If you tire of Cannes you could walk to the train station and grab a train to some other towns such as Antibes or even Nice (about an hour train ride).

Hank

Walking in Cannes and then takiing the train to Antibes was one of my favourite days on my recent cruise. Everything is so posh and French.

• 1 month later...
Can anyone please tell me how easy it is to get from Cannes to Nice by train, how often the trains depart, the duration of the trip and approximate costs? I assume this is the easiest option or would a taxi do just as good a job? Many thanks

Don't take a taxi...the train would be much cheaper. Here is a link for the options this Friday. If the link doesn't work, google SNCF and look for the little language icon on the upper right hand corner to change it to English. You can find the schedules and prices on that site.

http://results.en.voyages-sncf.com/?clientId=5df7f7eb-b39b-4035-b389-c322ffafdc2c&language=en&country=EN#/

buggins -

the link you provided gives the train schedule from Paris to Lille. (That is the default and you need to change stations and times.)

To make it easier for Clancampbell, the train from Cannes to Nice runs several times an hour. It takes between 25 and 48 minutes, depending on the number of stops, and it costs 7 euros. No need to book ahead of time. These are commuter trains and the tickets are sold at the station.

Edited by marazul

buggins -

the link you provided gives the train schedule from Paris to Lille. (That is the default and you need to change stations and times.)

To make it easier for Clancampbell, the train from Cannes to Nice runs several times an hour. It takes between 25 and 48 minutes, depending on the number of stops, and it costs 7 euros. No need to book ahead of time. These are commuter trains and the tickets are sold at the station.

LOL...it must change once linked...I wasn't sure it would work and stay put with the original search. Actually I tested after it posted and it looked ok, but they must reset to the default after a period of time.

LOL...it must change once linked...I wasn't sure it would work and stay put with the original search. Actually I tested after it posted and it looked ok, but they must reset to the default after a period of time.

Do not concern yourselves, the link to the website was very helpful and the cost of a train is very reasonable so thanks for your assistance.

Is the station in Cannes easy to find?

Google suggests getting to the main town centre from Nice station is easy and straightforward - can you vouch for that?

Is the public transport reliable and get me back to the port without any stresses?

Thanks again

Ok, lets go into more detail (we tried to do this in an earlier post). If you are a good walker (easily handle a mile walk) you can easily walk from the Cannes tender pier to the train station (just download a map, use Google Earth, etc). Or even better, get a decent cell phone, use a provider like T-Mobile (which gives you coverage all over Europe for no additional fees) and use it to guide you. Once at the station simply buy your tickets (from machine or ticket window) and validate it in the machine (puts on a time date stamp) before boarding the next train. No need for reservations and do not waste your time with online schedules. The trains run quite often (at least twice an hour) and do not use reservations (they are like commuter trains). So just head for the correct track (the current schedule is posted in the station) and board the next train in the direction of Cannes or Monte Carlo (use the regional TER trains. Once you get to Nice, you can walk just about anywhere....assuming you are a good walker. Otherwise, Nice has an excellent bus system (get info at the tourist info office).

As to Nice, our favorite area is the old town section...and we especially love going to the Flower Market (it is an antique market on Monday's) located on the Cours Selaya. But this is best done by noon....so make this your first stop (a hike from the train station).

If the idea of just going off on your own and keeping flexibility is not your thing...then consider taking a structured excursion. Independent travel (my passion) is wonderful for those of us who can handle the uncertainties and necessary flexibility...but not everyone is suited to this form of travel.

Hank

Ok, lets go into more detail (we tried to do this in an earlier post). If you are a good walker (easily handle a mile walk) you can easily walk from the Cannes tender pier to the train station (just download a map, use Google Earth, etc). Or even better, get a decent cell phone, use a provider like T-Mobile (which gives you coverage all over Europe for no additional fees) and use it to guide you. Once at the station simply buy your tickets (from machine or ticket window) and validate it in the machine (puts on a time date stamp) before boarding the next train. No need for reservations and do not waste your time with online schedules. The trains run quite often (at least twice an hour) and do not use reservations (they are like commuter trains). So just head for the correct track (the current schedule is posted in the station) and board the next train in the direction of Cannes or Monte Carlo (use the regional TER trains. Once you get to Nice, you can walk just about anywhere....assuming you are a good walker. Otherwise, Nice has an excellent bus system (get info at the tourist info office).

As to Nice, our favorite area is the old town section...and we especially love going to the Flower Market (it is an antique market on Monday's) located on the Cours Selaya. But this is best done by noon....so make this your first stop (a hike from the train station).

If the idea of just going off on your own and keeping flexibility is not your thing...then consider taking a structured excursion. Independent travel (my passion) is wonderful for those of us who can handle the uncertainties and necessary flexibility...but not everyone is suited to this form of travel.

Hank

Perfect Hank, thanks!

I do concern myself with the uncertainties of independent travel but it's what we want to do here and to be fair, it does seem pretty straight forward between Cannes and Nice (fingers crossed! ).

Perfect Hank, thanks!

I do concern myself with the uncertainties of independent travel but it's what we want to do here and to be fair, it does seem pretty straight forward between Cannes and Nice (fingers crossed! ).

As Hank said...it's easy peasy. If you like to see the logistics from point A to B in maps and pictures try this link...

http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/cannes-nice-06-20-2012.pdf

Do note that Tom's guides are not a commercial enterprise so they are not updated for new information...always click on the transportation links within his guide to make sure things have not changed.