Carnival Marseilles excursions- which would you do?

star116062

I know it has been asked before about where to visit from Marseilles but I searched and was unable to find any specific information about Carnival excursions. We have narrowed it down to a few and they all just sound so awesome that my indecisiveness is really getting the best of me! If you had one day in port and had to do one of these excursions and going on your own was not an option, which would you do?? Thanks so much for your advice! Would be really helpful to hear from anyone who has actually been on on of these as well! Narrowed down to these three though there are other options that also sound good:

Avignon, Popes Palace, and Pont du Gard (7.5 hrs), BEAUTIFUL FRENCH TOWNS: ARLES & ST REMY (8 hrs), and a magical day in Cassis (8hrs)

Descriptions below if you care to know more :)

Avignon

Travel for approximately 1.5 hours to the breath-taking Pont du Gard, a world famous ancient Roman aqueduct bridge that crosses the shallow Gard River. This amazing feat of engineering used to carry around 44 million gallons of water a day. Built around the year 40 A.D., it features three impressive levels of arcades that are recessed one on top of the other reaching a height of 160 feet.

Here you will be able to absorb the magnificence of this unique 18th-century structure from a nearby vantage point. You will then drive to nearby Avignon for a walk around this historic town, with cobbled streets and narrow stairs. The town itself is still delightfully contained within its 14th-century walls and features beautifully preserved ramparts and pretty bell towers. Visit the largest Gothic construction in the world known as Palace of the Popes, home to nine Popes during the Great Schism that lasted from 1309 to 1378. A truly magnificent building you will be able to wander through the vast galleries and great halls.

Enjoy some free time to have lunch on your own. Most of Avignon's medieval city streets are closed to vehicle traffic and are lined with boutiques and art galleries, along with craft, jewelry and souvenir shops. Return to Marseille via the highway, traveling through breath-taking countryside, which features vineyards, orchards and cypress trees.

Arles/St Remy

Visit the ancient Roman town of Arles, famous for being the inspiration for Van Gogh, and then Saint Remy de Provence, the birthplace of Nostradamus, the 16th century author of prophecies. Depart by motor coach for your 75 minute journey to Arles, once an important Roman town situated along the Rhone River; Arles offers all that it has retained from its Gallo-Roman past.

Visit the Roman amphitheater, and see from the outside the beautiful Romanesque St Trophyme church. Walk in painter Vincent Van Gogh’s footsteps, where he painted some of his best known works. Enjoy some free time before your French cuisine lunch. Continue on to the pretty & picturesque village of Saint Remy de Provence where you will be given a guided visit, passing by its superb mausoleum before you enter the town. Enjoy some free time here.

Cassis:

Board your coach for a panoramic 90 minute drive passing by Marseille highlights. You will continue towards Cassis, passing by the stretched sea shore. Board a little trolley train that will lead you to downtown with your guide. You will have a walking orientation tour and approximately 3 hours of free time for lunch and/or shopping of this charming little fishing village.

Feel free to head to the public beach for some sunbathing. Return back to Marseille via the highway on a 1 hour scenic coach drive

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Provence last week. We did a private excursion that included Arles, Avignon, St. Remy and Les Baux. If a tour of the Pope's Palace interests you I would include that one. Otherwise I found Arles more picturesque. St. Remy was cute but probably does not have interest unless you are a fan of Van Gogh. I would vote for the other two over Cassis. Sorry, I do not have my pictures downloaded yet or I could give you more help.

We were in Provence last week. We did a private excursion that included Arles, Avignon, St. Remy and Les Baux. If a tour of the Pope's Palace interests you I would include that one. Otherwise I found Arles more picturesque. St. Remy was cute but probably does not have interest unless you are a fan of Van Gogh. I would vote for the other two over Cassis. Sorry, I do not have my pictures downloaded yet or I could give you more help.
We did a private tour last week (Carnival Vista) that included these stops as well and loved it. However, we did not see Pont du Gard, so that may be a factor i your decision. One point our guide made with the Palace of the Popes is that the interior is pretty sparse, most of the original furnishings having been "relocated" many years ago - in his judgment, it wasn't worth a visit inside. However, we saw people walking the parapets that probably had a great view. There are beautiful views outside the palace, at the adjoining garden with an overlook of the Pont d'Avignon.

We also enjoyed visiting Arles and St. Remy. The latter was our lunch stop and we visited a very good boulangerie with nice outdoor seating. Arles has wonderful Roman ruins.

We did two Carnival tours on our cruise - Naples (Amalfi Coast by Sea and Pompeii) and Livorno (Florence and Pisa on your own). We liked both tours, but the downside of Carnival tours is that you are at the mercy of the people who don't pay attention to time.

We did a private tour last week (Carnival Vista) that included these stops as well and loved it. However, we did not see Pont du Gard, so that may be a factor i your decision. One point our guide made with the Palace of the Popes is that the interior is pretty sparse, most of the original furnishings having been "relocated" many years ago - in his judgment, it wasn't worth a visit inside. However, we saw people walking the parapets that probably had a great view. There are beautiful views outside the palace, at the adjoining garden with an overlook of the Pont d'Avignon.

We also enjoyed visiting Arles and St. Remy. The latter was our lunch stop and we visited a very good boulangerie with nice outdoor seating. Arles has wonderful Roman ruins.

We did two Carnival tours on our cruise - Naples (Amalfi Coast by Sea and Pompeii) and Livorno (Florence and Pisa on your own). We liked both tours, but the downside of Carnival tours is that you are at the mercy of the people who don't pay attention to time.

We had lunch at a panini "window" in Les Baux. Also, we did not go inside the Palace of the Popes. I should have my pictures organized in the next day or so.

• 1 month later...

We just took a tour with Provence Connection to those same towns in Provence region. If I could offer my opinion/what I'd go back and do if I could do it differently is: I would go to Pont du Gard and Avignon. If you had time, throw in Casiss ( many fellow passengers loved their time there).