Port of Tampa - any good golf nearby?

Marylandteachergirl

Hello!

Any locals or golfers who have played nearby? We will disembarking a cruise on a Thursday morning and will probably spend the night in the area. Two of our group are avid golfers, and would like to play. We can head towards Orlando, or Clearwater, or Cocoa Beach, or stay in Tampa. Are there suggestions for a good public golf course in the general area?

Thanks!!!

Are you looking for a golf course that also has lodging, or would you stay somewhere in Tampa & they drive to the course?

Lake Jovita, about 30 or so miles north of Tampa, is a very nice golf course. They have a "stay & play" package where you stay in a villa near the clubhouse & includes golf (also use of the other clubhouse facilities, including pool, tennis courts, etc). I'm not sure if they require multiple days stay or offer it for one night - they might since you'd be there on a weekday instead of weekend.

http://lakejovita.com/tampa-golf-courses/stay-and-play-golf-packages/

Ideally, the girls could stay at a hotel on/near the water somewhere, and the golfers could drive to the course. It seems some courses do require you to stay in order to play on their courses, though.

We will have a rental car. I will add your suggestion to our list of possibilities. Thank you!

Any other suggestions also appreciated.

There are lots of nice courses in the Tampa area. Might make sense to decide where you girls want to spend your day, then find a course relatively close (or within a distance the guys don't mind driving).

Here's a page from the Tampa Bay Times website on golf in the Tampa area; it has most of the courses that are accessible to the public, and can be sorted based on county, price range, etc. It's a little dated, I know at least a couple of the courses shown have gone under - but it might be a good starting point.

http://www.tampabay.com/golf/

Hello!

Any locals or golfers who have played nearby? We will disembarking a cruise on a Thursday morning and will probably spend the night in the area. Two of our group are avid golfers, and would like to play. We can head towards Orlando, or Clearwater, or Cocoa Beach, or stay in Tampa. Are there suggestions for a good public golf course in the general area?

Thanks!!!

I live in the area and play with friends. University of South Florida has a course if you have a car. The Orlando area has some fancy courses. Champion's Gate comes to mind. It is an Omni hotel. The pool is great. There is a spa. Golfers love the course. When we go as a family the nongolfers have fun.

Another option. Top Golf in Brandon, FL is not far from the port. It is one of those stacked golf entertainment centers that are like a driving range but way more than that. Everyone can play. Think of very fun golf like a bowling alley! You play as a group from a "bay". You order food and drinks with a choice of the types of games. It is something nongolfers can do as well.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Of course I googled golf courses in the area, and the top 70 in Central Fl. etc etc... As a non -golfer, what I think is good (pretty pictures, nice trees), does not mean it's a great golf course.

I think it's easier for us to pick the golf course then find a hotel... :D

I will research some of these great suggestions a bit more.

Again, thank you!